Toronto Pinnacle Centre Condos | 161.84m | 55s | Pinnacle | P + S / IBI

IIRC, The so called 54th floor present on the northwest corner directly under the concrete overhang is part of the mechanical area. The concrete box above is strictly the elevator core overrun.

That explains it, but it sure as heck looks like it could be a penthouse level and not a mechanical floor.
I guess it depends on what constitutes a buildings floor count. Normally only occupied floors are counted. In a majority of buildings the mechanical level is usually a small structure located at the very top of the building.
But what about mechanical levels that are located somewhere half way up a building? Have buildings with such levels included them in their floor counts? And what of Success? The first mechanical level on Success has the same appearance and virtually the same proportions as the residential levels below, would this be reason enough to included it?

just wondering if its really noisy for the middle units (~ 20 floor) since its almost right below union station..

When we list how many storeys tall a building is in the thread titles, we list the number that are occupied. It's good to see that Pinnacle does not skip 13 or any of the 4s: maybe those days are over.

Khristopher: I agree that there is a difference between storeys and floors. I use the word storey to denote the actual count, whereas I see the word floor as being more of a name: if a building goes up with a 13th, then we all know the 14th floor as named is still actually the 13th storey.

When we list how many storeys tall a building is in the thread titles, we list the number that are occupied. It's good to see that Pinnacle does not skip 13 or any of the 4s: maybe those days are over.

Khristopher: I agree that there is a difference between storeys and floors. I use the word storey to denote the actual count, whereas I see the word floor as being more of a name: if a building goes up with a 13th, then we all know the 14th floor as named is still actually the 13th storey.

I suspect many of us are all over the map on this issue. I count "storeys", but I'm conflicted by that because it really isn't accurate. Perhaps most accurate would be "levels", starting with the 2nd floor as level 1 and as suggested, not skipping 4's and 13. Hospitals and some office buildings are like this. I was in the CAA building on Carlton Street a month or so ago and the first level was the first floor, and surprisingly there was also a 13th floor. When someone else got on the elevator with me and pressed "1", it seemed so odd.
There is also mixed information on occupied and non occupied floors (or levels). Sometimes mechanical floors (or levels) are counted, sometimes they are not. It's not just here, I notice sites such as Emporis are inconsistent with matters such as these too.

I use "floors" only when talking about a particular floor, like "I live on the 5th floor". Usually I say "storeys" because that is what I find to be the common term used in Official Plans and zoning by-laws for maximum/minimum building heights and in development reports and applications. I tend to stay away from "levels" except for underground parking levels.

Thought you guys might like this...another skyline update featuring pinnacle Center
from salomontickler at www.flickr.com

3520845848_8469a6ef9a_b.jpg

does anyone else think that spire and the distillery district should get their face time on the view from the islands? perhaps when the L tower and VU is comeplete the east will have a more prominent role.

does anyone else think that spire and the distillery district should get their face time on the view from the islands? perhaps when the L tower and VU is comeplete the east will have a more prominent role.

Once I make my way out to the Islands, which will be soon hopefully, I'll be sure to do a skyline panoramic that includes much of the east end.

May 18 2009 update

Success Tower sure makes a statement on Gardiner ~ :D

IMG_0361.jpg

I'm waiting to see if they're going to clad that overhanging concrete like in the renders. It would make it look so much better if they did.

Was walking by on the weekend and noticed that they're building something round in the middle of buildings. Is it a water fountain?

Back