Toronto Pinnacle Centre Condos | 161.84m | 55s | Pinnacle | P + S / IBI

My balcony at Spire is generous...approx 150 sf. And I have a bbq! There are some terraces at Spire that are massive wraparounds that could easily be 600 sf total.

Don't be like the morons in my building - people with a terrace apartment (v.v. desireable) fired up the charcoal bbq (who still has them, esp. when they can run a gas line out to the terrace) the smoke from which promptly got sucked into the ac, setting of the fire alarm, resulting in 5 trucks pulling up outside.

At least they didn't blow up the rooftop bbq, which was my fear - that would have runined my summer.

If I ever sell my little house ( though I think it more likely they'll take me out of there in a box ), I'd buy in Spire - or somewhere with similarly strong design appeal. It is so encouraging to see reputable architects designing multi-unit housing again, rather than leaving it to developers and marketers to provide the dazed-and-confused consumer with what they think they want, designed by fauxmeister hacks.

Don't be like the morons in my building - people with a terrace apartment (v.v. desireable) fired up the charcoal bbq (who still has them, esp. when they can run a gas line out to the terrace) the smoke from which promptly got sucked into the ac, setting of the fire alarm, resulting in 5 trucks pulling up outside.

At least they didn't blow up the rooftop bbq, which was my fear - that would have runined my summer.

Yikes! Fortunately ours is natural gas so no risk of that! We are at a corner unit so the smoke gets blown off to the side, which is always nice.
There are massive terraces for the lucky few who live on the 45th floor of my building. Sigh...

Gas BBQ's on balconies are becoming somewhat more common now as an upgrade in some condos. I always wondered how the use of those would affect others living around a balcony which has one of those BBQ's blazing away.

photo taken today from 10 yonge

515241983_4e9cfcad72_b.jpg

I had always assumed BBQ of any kind were forbidden on the balconies of decent buildings. Is the smoke generated by gas BBQ so minimal that this is no longer the case?

It's definitely still quite rare to have bbq's on balconies but Spire offered it as an upgrade, and more and more projects (albeit still few) are offering this option.
There doesn't seem to be too much smoke from ours but as I mentioned in an earlier thread we are a corner unit so the smoke kind of just drifts off to the side of the building.

I had always assumed BBQ of any kind were forbidden on the balconies of decent buildings. Is the smoke generated by gas BBQ so minimal that this is no longer the case?

As I recall, under Toronto Fire Regulations combustionable materials are not allowed to be used or stored within (I believe) 6 feet of any window or door on terrace or balcony plus combustionables cannot be transported by elevator. In condos that offer a BBQ upgrade on a balcony or terrace a propane line has to be run from the service line and installed fairly early in the construction phase. Same idea for gas stoves & fireplaces.

Does the City assume that people who live in houses have to be protected from their neighbours to such a degree? Should I be afraid, very afraid, of the people on the other side of my semi? Or do these regulations apply only to highrise dwellers?

As I recall, under Toronto Fire Regulations combustionable materials are not allowed to be used or stored within (I believe) 6 feet of any window or door on terrace or balcony plus combustionables cannot be transported by elevator. In condos that offer a BBQ upgrade on a balcony or terrace a propane line has to be run from the service line and installed fairly early in the construction phase. Same idea for gas stoves & fireplaces.

Yes, that's exactly the case with my bbq...there is a gas shut-off on the balcony which is run in from the service line (we also have a gas stove).

Success Tower update

Walking by the site and noticed the crane was up and operating. I thought the crane operators were on strike.

That was quick, Pinnacle doesn't waste any time. Impressive.

Back