Toronto Peter Street Condominiums | 129.84m | 40s | CentreCourt | a—A

FoUg5kw.jpg

Osg8pzG.jpg

Are podiums not considered urban? To me they seem urban and attractive. I like seeing a 5 - 10 story podium with a 50 story tower on top. It's kind of a mix of European massing along the street, with North American height on top. It works for me, anyway. It's nice to have a few towers like this too, that go straight up, just to mix things up a bit.

It's kind of a mix of European massing along the street, with North American height on top.

In theory this could be very nice indeed, however I feel like it hasn't been done properly most of the time in Toronto (I don't know if it has been done properly anywhere actually), and podium towers end up feeling either disconnected for being so far back from the street, perhaps because the podium itself fails to engage in an urban way, and you get a suburban feeling to the neighbourhood (eg. cityplace). A 10-20 story streetwall would seem to me to be ideal in a major city, creating a canyon that is pleasing to the eye as you look down the street, still cutting off wind from the taller towers above, and allowing for a closer relationship with the street than a building of the same height would have if it were much more set back (like above a smaller podium). Of course there are exceptions, where podiums are done very well. I think the podium on One Bloor looks great so far for example.

Last edited:
Hard to believe just a few years ago this site housed a 1 storey building with a club called The Living Room...

Hard to believe just a few years ago this site housed a 1 storey building with a club called The Living Room...

What's also remarkable is that there are more proposed but not yet started residential or residential/hotel towers in the entertainment district than there are towers under construction, with 13 proposed but not yet started, compared to 10 currently under construction. So expect a lot more construction in the future.

Last edited:
Transfer floor bothers me the most. Wish they integrated the first and second floor windows to lessen its impact.

It's simple. Simple is good. This tower is fine.

You're speaking for yourself I assume? I hope so because "fine" is not the word I would use to describe this tower. In fact, the only thing interesting about this tower, is the historic building beside it, which they had plans to use as a video screen/art wall. I hope that is still in the plans.

Back