Toronto Peter Gilgan Centre for Research and Learning | ?m | 21s | Sick Kids | Diamond Schmitt

must have just missed you:)
from today...
20101106080.jpg

20101106079.jpg

20101106085.jpg

20101106086.jpg

20101106087.jpg

Prii's paean to brutalism? Just surround it with decent buildings and you'll be amazed at how much better it looks.

What we've heard is that research staff located in the main hospital building will be moving, but that those in the McMaster building connected by the bridge over Elizabeth St. will not be. The entire old portion of the hospital (Gerrard St. Wing, University Entrance, Elm Wing) is supposed to be demolished at some point after relocation, and presumably fundraising to replace it.

I don't know if this has been mentioned earlier, but a sample of the glazing for the new building has been attached above the entrance to the Allan Brown ("nightmare") building on Elm St.

They will not rip it down all at once, first Elm has the hospitals heliport and a large part of the heart centre.

I believe that once the building is done Roy C Hill and University will be torn down, a new expansion will be bult and then Elm will be torn down once its heliport and stuff is moved into the new wing.
I may be wrong but that is my guess.

Also one question, when and how is the company picked to install the elevators in the new tower?. I assume it will be Otis as the hospital uses nothing but Otis.

Prii's paean to brutalism? Just surround it with decent buildings and you'll be amazed at how much better it looks.

haha, that's a great way to look at it!! I have to say I completely agree, the lots surrounding it are just begging to be redeveloped. Anyone know if there've been any proposals for those lots yet?

Atlantis, I believe it was the Conservatory Group that proposed to redevelop the parking lots surrounding the Prii building, somewhere around a decade ago now. If I remember correctly it was the noise and diesel fumes from the Coach Terminal across the street that brought redevelopment plans there to a halt, as few people were interested in living across the street from that. There have been many rumours, on and off over the years, to move the Coach Terminal. When one of them finally comes true, I believe we will see redevelopment come to that stretch of Bay.

Thanks for that bit of history interchange, maybe this will be the decade where we see some real movement on those sites.

Atlantis, I believe it was the Conservatory Group that proposed to redevelop the parking lots surrounding the Prii building, somewhere around a decade ago now. If I remember correctly it was the noise and diesel fumes from the Coach Terminal across the street that brought redevelopment plans there to a halt, as few people were interested in living across the street from that. There have been many rumours, on and off over the years, to move the Coach Terminal. When one of them finally comes true, I believe we will see redevelopment come to that stretch of Bay.

Thanks for the info; that makes sense; I really hope the bus depot moves and something is done to that grey concrete bunker-looking building too....Bay St. north of City Hall for those two blocks or so is so ghetto and run-down... :(

Thanks for the info; that makes sense; I really hope the bus depot moves and something is done to that grey concrete bunker-looking building too....Bay St. north of City Hall for those two blocks or so is so ghetto and run-down... :(

yeah it's definitely because of the bus terminal there.

Back