Tue July 14, 2020

DSC07155.JPG

DSC07157.JPG

DSC07160.JPG

DSC07162.JPG

DSC07163.JPG

DSC07167.JPG

DSC07168.JPG

I dont even know why this is a story. When raccoons are running around on people's property and rummaging through their green bins, people want them torched. But when there's one that get stuck up on a high building (which happens dozens of times in any given month) people are clamoring for the city to "please save this racoon, dispatch Toronto Fire, Toronto Wildlife, Police, everything!!". Then it goes on to make the news cycle for the day. Some people are just so irrational.

Whatelse now, did they have to suspend construction on the site for the day because of this?

I don’t think so. The last line the CP24 reporter said (and I paraphrase) was that “Construction crews were pretty much going on with their day.”

That raccoon is a sentient and highly intelligent mammal. Ounce for ounce of brain, they are far smarter than people. Though, I wonder what you think should have been done about the young woman they rescued recently from atop a crane?! Raccoons were here before your favourite “bird”...the “building” crane. It was never schooled in what a building crane is used for and it’s in the raccoon‘s habitat. The poor thing was probably terrified. We are only as good as how we respect and treat the most vulnerable in not only our own species, but other species over which we presume to have domain.

Last edited:
Amare...I couldn’t seem to quote your comment...but I do know what I had to say you will understand and take to heart. I've read your posts...You are a good person...please be kind to other living things during a really nasty time, for it seems only our species is really affected. Other species might somehow help us out. We don’t know and that’s why respect of ”others” is always important. Don’t disrespect anything or anyone...they may accidentally save your life.

Last edited:
Amare...I couldn’t seem to quote your comment...but I do know what I had to say you will understand and take to heart. I've read your posts...You are a good person...please be kind to other living things during a really nasty time, for it seems only our species is really affected. Other species might somehow help us out. We don’t know and that’s why respect of ”others” is always important. Don’t disrespect anything or anyone...they may accidentally save your life.
I hear your point of view and I respect it without a doubt. It's certainly important to treat one another with kindness at all times, not just during this pandemic.

For me I look at things from a: let nature take its course kind of lens. If the racoon was smart enough to find its way up there, then im sure it would be able to find its way down somehow. Humans climbing up cranes and getting stuck on the other hand is a whole other discussion, one which I wont crack open for the sake of keeping things on topic.

For me I look at things from a: let nature take its course kind of lens. If the racoon was smart enough to find its way up there, then im sure it would be able to find its way down somehow.
So by that, it wasn't stuck then.

However, it doesn't rule out that it actually got itself in a pickle accidentally here. Like a squirrel who are designed to grace trees, occasionally one misses a branch...and oops, oh dear. So I'm not sure it was an unreasonable to give it a helping hand at this point.

Back