Mississauga Pearson Transit Hub | ?m | ?s | GTAA

Pier G wasn't going to serve widebody aircraft either...

I think the plan (was/is?) to make Pier F a fully international pier and rejig the gates (space them out, whatever required) to get widebodies down the pier.

They are also removing the RapidAir gates (replacing them with a few larger gates between T1 and T3).

Right now we have 2 of everything for customs. Once the terminals are merged it makes sense that they will all have to be rejigged. Do we make T3 all domestic with T1 as Int'l and US? Who knows.

IFT is being reactivated this summer for non-hubbed airlines. That is likely Sunwing and Air Transat as they primarily operate O&D flights and not transfers like AC or Westjet.

Pier H is going to take on the role of Pier G (transborder pier). Pier G is being pushed back, Pier H is being pushed forward. This is a distinction some members here need to make.

Additionally, the GTAA is looking at remote stands for certain flights, which is how the vast majority of global hubs operate. No need to have a CRJ taking up valuable gate space when you can park it somewhere and bus the passengers into the terminal.
Interesting, thanks for providing this information. Like Woodbrige_Heights mentioned, I would've thought the focus would be on alleviating congestion at T1, rather than moving some Sunwing and Air Transat operations to the IFT.

Regarding remote stands, I've noticed that LH494/5 has been operating out of remote stands lately. I would've assumed that this particular flight would be of high importance (connection-wise and proximity to AC's lounge) that it would be guaranteed to have a bridged gate.

They are also removing the RapidAir gates (replacing them with a few larger gates between T1 and T3).

Right now we have 2 of everything for customs. Once the terminals are merged it makes sense that they will all have to be rejigged. Do we make T3 all domestic with T1 as Int'l and US? Who knows.
Over Air Canada’s and the Star Alliance’s totally dominant (in Toronto) dead bodies.

It's all in the recent Masterplan.

Pier G is noted as long term, Pier H near to medium term (they've swapped the two, hence why I don't understand the bemoaning about G, we're getting an even bigger pier!)

The Masterplan included a blurb about positioning charter airlines to the IFT to clear up gate space. Charter in this case likely means Sunwing and Transat. The near to medium term plan looks at using T3 and T1 as one big terminal. This is partially why the connection between the two is being built. It will allow a lot more flexibility for AC and WS.

Nowhere in the draft masterplan does it specifically say "we are reopening the IFT beginning in summer 2018".

Over Air Canada’s and the Star Alliance’s totally dominant (in Toronto) dead bodies.
U agree with this. It would make the most sense to have ďomestic operations in one area (the connected portions of T1/T3). However this was probably something that should have been done durìng the last T3 refurbishement. Perhaps setting up for expansion of the pier a gates.
Furthermore i suspect as do you that AC does not want to comingle with westjet at a single concourse, and my be throwing its weight around preventing this from happening.

Nowhere in the draft masterplan does it specifically say "we are reopening the IFT beginning in summer 2018".
Nowhere would it. They don't provide dates for masterplan execution - just short, medium and long term windows.

But if Pearson wants to handle the upcoming increases in flights, and Westjet's international expansion, IFT will need to be reactivated sooner rather than later.

*My source is within the GTAA.

More than two pages since there has been an on-topic post.

Since there really is no dedicated thread for Pearson Airport terminal expansion, I would say it's fair to discuss it in the transit hub expansion thread, especially since day to day operations in the existing concourses will likely be affected by the opening of the terminal.

Since there really is no dedicated thread for Pearson Airport terminal expansion, I would say it's fair to discuss it in the transit hub expansion thread, especially since day to day operations in the existing concourses will likely be affected by the opening of the terminal.
Rather than turn the thread specifically about the transit hub into a Pearson General thread why not use, you know, the thread called Toronto Pearson International Airport for that.

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/toronto-pearson-international-airport.5994/

Rather than turn the thread specifically about the transit hub into a Pearson General thread why not use, you know, the thread called Toronto Pearson International Airport for that.

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/toronto-pearson-international-airport.5994/

The two projects are inexorably linked that there is bound to be some bleed over from one to the other. Especially if the transit hub becomes a passenger check in terminal.

If mods feel the need to move some posts from here to the airport thread though, so be it

The two projects are inexorably linked that there is bound to be some bleed over from one to the other.

No, they aren't. This thread is about whether and how a transit hub will be built on one side of the current terminals. The postings I referred to are about when and how the piers on the other side of the terminals are configured going forward. Yes there's a connection, but the two sets of projects and changes could go ahead (or not) separately or together. We have three threads for Union Station, or perhaps four if you count the corridor.

If you can go two pages without mentioning the transit hub, the two things are not inexorably, or even inextricably, linked.

No, they aren't. This thread is about whether and how a transit hub will be built on one side of the current terminals. The postings I referred to are about when and how the piers on the other side of the terminals are configured going forward. Yes there's a connection, but the two sets of projects and changes could go ahead (or not) separately or together. We have three threads for Union Station, or perhaps four if you count the corridor.

If you can go two pages without mentioning the transit hub, the two things are not inexorably, or even inextricably, linked.

If the transit hub will take in bags and check in will occur at the transit terminal, it is important to ask how the piers will be reconfigured with these issues in mind, and questioning the legitimacy of the GTAA's current plans are fair considering the fact that there are a lot of contrasting issues with the terminal expansion and the transit terminal itself.

This may not be the exactly right thread, but I found a Metrolinx-commissioned study from 2015 titled "Transportation Study of the Pearson Airport Area". Of note were some out-there ideas I haven't seen floated before, such as extending UP Express service to Unionville and 401 and 407 GO Rai; lines. I know it is just a study but thought it was of interest.
ck6VyQJ.png

Back