News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 375     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 954     1 

Toronto Pearson International Airport

Why would the Hamilton and Waterloo airports agree to this? Aren't they competing with Pearson? Do they get something out of this deal? Will the Hamilton and Waterloo airports make money off of people parking at their airports to catch the bus?

Also does Metrolinx not offer bus services from these cities to Pearson? Probably at a much cheaper cost to the rider. I get that they check your boarding pass before getting on the bus, but how much extra is such a service going to cost? Worth it?

Last edited:
Howdy: I just read that although Pearson is like 10th or 11th busiest in NA for total passengers it is actually 2nd (behind Newark) for international passengers! Interesting.
Do you have a link? I did some digging and it seems Pearson is still a ways below its 2019 peak (~40M compared to ~50M).

Also does Metrolinx not offer bus services from these cities to Pearson? Probably at a much cheaper cost to the rider. I get that they check your boarding pass before getting on the bus, but how much extra is such a service going to cost? Worth it?

At least with Waterloo they seem to be targeting business travelers and frequent fliers who otherwise would be using car service or Uber to get to YYZ. The bus legs are treated just like any other flight by AC. This means your connection is protected, so if there's a crash on the 401 or something and you miss your flight AC will accommodate you. You also can collect Aeroplan points on these bus legs which for a lot of people is a huge plus vs. Uber.

At least with Waterloo they seem to be targeting business travelers and frequent fliers who otherwise would be using car service or Uber to get to YYZ. The bus legs are treated just like any other flight by AC. This means your connection is protected, so if there's a crash on the 401 or something and you miss your flight AC will accommodate you. You also can collect Aeroplan points on these bus legs which for a lot of people is a huge plus vs. Uber.
I agree that Aeroplan points are a huge plus but Aeroplan and Uber have an agreement. If you link your Aeroplan to Uber it's 2 pts for every $1 spent. The same ratio earned with the CIBC Aeroplan credit card for Air Canada Purchases.

All the other benefits outweigh using an Uber for sure though

Air Canada's 2023 Annual Report also came out this week.

I'm an AC Super Elite and I monitor online discussions about AC pretty regularly. My view is that there is still a noticeable reduction in business traffic compared to pre-pandemic times. Higher prices for international destinations, including significantly higher Aeroplan redemption rates, is keeping some people away. This will affect Pearson more than most other Canadian airports.

Higher prices for international destinations, including significantly higher Aeroplan redemption rates, is keeping some people away.

It is even an issue for economy fliers.

When I booked with AC heading to LHR in July it was $1500 approximately with tax and seat selection return for Economy Standard (K and L groupings).

Flying is become so prohibitively expensive now that it cannot be done on a whim.

GTAA announcing decade long capital plan for Pearson this morning.

Pearson LIFT (short for Long term Investment in Facilities and Terminals)

Press Release here:

Star Article here:

From the above:

1712928448718.png

The press release really just announces the "industry forum for 700 participants from design, construction, and technology industry companies" that's happening today. Hopefully there'll be more detail coming after the forum, such as whether this includes the proposed transit hub.

Back