Burlington Paradigm Condominiums (Burlington) | ?m | 18s | Molinaro Group | Graziani + Corazza

After a long year for as a Paradigm/Illumina sales centre but it will be taken down and It will be reused for another location for another new development.

Phase 2 Construction of two 18 story Paradigm Condos will begin this year
638C6257-7D44-4D82-BA6C-AFF046B61BC5.jpeg

Next to the GO station, the site has looked like a dump for months. The surrounding hoarding looks like a collection of cast off lumber recycled from land fill sites. A real classy operation from the get go and more so from a marketing perspective.

"Paradigm Grand" is the marketing name for phases 4 and 5 - looks like they have dropped the office component in the podium originally planned:

BLOG-Aug-2022.Grand-Finale-2000x1500.jpg

Compare to the original rendering from when the project was first approved:

paradigm-image-2.jpg
That's unfortunate. When I bought in this development in 2014 (sold my unit in 2021), the office and retail part was a big selling feature for me.

Do you know if retail is still planned for the first floor?

Paradigm Condos Buildings 4 and 5 still ongoing excavation digging with third and final underground parking work is underway.

This is the drone shot from yesterday
View attachment 520908

That bloody Wal-Mart stands out like a sore thumb. Even worse that it was built around 2008-09. Imagine building a big box store next to a GO Train station?!?!

That bloody Wal-Mart stands out like a sore thumb. Even worse that it was built around 2008-09. Imagine building a big box store next to a GO Train station?!?!

Nominate the Home Depot in Oakville, right across the road (Cross Ave) from the Oakville Go station. Not sure when it was built - it was a number of years ago - but when I saw it going up, I was so appalled that I called the Oakville Planning department to find out how it could happen. Apparently nobody else wanted to develop the site at the time and Home Depot got it.

Nominate the Home Depot in Oakville, right across the road (Cross Ave) from the Oakville Go station. Not sure when it was built - it was a number of years ago - but when I saw it going up, I was so appalled that I called the Oakville Planning department to find out how it could happen. Apparently nobody else wanted to develop the site at the time and Home Depot got it.
Plazas were all the rage in the early 2000's. The Burlington Walmart is a bit on the later end of the party, but in that ~1996-2008 range, they went up like weeds absolutely everywhere. Home Depot even had a proposal to build a suburban format store at Queens Quay and Parliament at the time which the City refused at a very high profile OMB hearing.

Once the Great Recession hit the party was over, and then Amazon and online retailing started to take ahold once the economy recovered, and they largely died off. We are now left with a bunch of half-built and completely failed plazas across the GTA which are slowly being redeveloped.

Plazas were all the rage in the early 2000's. The Burlington Walmart is a bit on the later end of the party, but in that ~1996-2008 range, they went up like weeds absolutely everywhere. Home Depot even had a proposal to build a suburban format store at Queens Quay and Parliament at the time which the City refused at a very high profile OMB hearing.

There were a number of proposals to build big boxes in the Portlands in the mid 00s, if I recall correctly.

Even in Oakville, the big box plazas along highly populated corridors such as Dundas and Trafalgar are endowed with largely empty carparks. I don‘t understand the rationale for the scale of land usage for a relatively small number of stores; was it purely due to minimum parking requirements?

Back