Toronto Panorama at Concord CityPlace | 96.01m | 28s | Concord Adex | BDP Quadrangle

Ehhh, I wouldn't let the anti-suburban epithets about architectural currency shape my thinking on the matter: they come more often from snobbery than from a critical appraisal of the particular project in question.

My thinking on the matter is actually shaped more by anti-downtown or anti-CityPlace epithets that Panorama is fighting to overcome. There's some things I like about CityPlace, and some things I don't like. Panorama's tower doesn't improve upon Matrix (or any other round tower), yet while the ground level (from the podium on down) is an improvement for CityPlace and better than most other projects in the city, it's squandered on Lake Shore.

Some pics of the new blue stuff.

4690223519_08a6d63819_b.jpg

4690223495_bd40a5b91f_b.jpg

4690223439_4406a22ba3_b.jpg

4690223407_26e4c5c6c3_b.jpg

Sorry no close ups, I didn't want to get out of my car and walk around under there, something might have fallen on my head!

Very exciting to see the space underneath the Gardiner starting to be organized for public access.

Condovo: you're in a bit of a foul mood today! This looks a lot better than nothing to me... and I doubt it's finished yet. Well, I hope not...

anything other than dirt, garbage, gravel and dog crap is good in my books.

This space that's been created is the sort of thing which, even if you don't have a conclusive opinion, is a small investment but creates something that adds character and a whimsical quality to the city. Even pedestrians who are not "investigative urbanists" like us would notice it as they walk past, and be subconsciously reminded that in fact, there is a safety and sense of reclamation under the Gardiner.

The treatment they have given is pretty nice in person. As of Saturday night it appeared that one more lighting element was to be added (the base has already been installed, which can be seen in Mo-Tage's second last photo). The base appears to be larger than the bases for the lights already installed. The lights do a good job of lighting up the area in the dark. Overall I found it to be a very nice little addition to the area and I hope that some form of seating is added. I can see a lot of people stopping to take a look and perhaps sit down as they head to and from the Waterfront, the Park and the Wellington/King West neighbourhood once the pedestrian bridge is built.

Delurking to say you are ridiculous Urbandreamer. If anything those blues are soothing, and at the very least it's a positive direction for reclaiming space under the Gardiner. There's so much negativity here, it's such a drag. At least you post nice pictures.

June 19 2010 update

Panorama seen from the Island Ferry
Click to Enlarge

Panorama at Night
IMG_4779.jpg

Fun lighting features now gracing Panorama's entrance below the Gardiner Expressway

Solaris' pics inspired me to head down and get more of Panorama's new nighttime ambiance. There's more to do here still, but here's the scene at the moment:

PanoramaGardiner20100622.jpg

PanoramaGardinerClose20100622.jpg

PanoramaLights120100622.jpg

Panoramapano20100622.jpg

PanoramaEntry20100622.jpg

PanoramaDriveway20100622.jpg

Back