Toronto Panorama at Concord CityPlace | 96.01m | 28s | Concord Adex | BDP Quadrangle

ABuyer ... welcome to UT

you can try talking to the Planning Department ... but I'm pretty sure you won't get anywhere because:
  • rooftop billboard signs are a grand-fathered permission, since no new rooftop billboard signs are approved anymore, every owner who has one for sure will keep it
  • the rooftop billboard sign existed before Panorama was built, why should it be removed ? perhaps you should have considered this in your purchase decision ??

If I recall correctly (and please look up the Loblaws thread for the staff report on this) - the sign in some form will stay even after the old warehouse is rebuilt.

AoD

PS: To make life slightly easier...

http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=3954

Roof Signage
There are two roof top signs on the building which the applicant has always proposed to maintain. Under the existing City of Toronto sign by-law the signs could remain if they were not taken down at any point and were kept in place throughout construction. If, at any point they had been removed from the roof, the applicant would have to apply for variance from the sign by-law to re-erect them, at which time Council would be able to vote on whether or not to permit the signs. The applicant had made it clear to City staff that due to the significant financial implication of losing any long term permission to retain the roof signs, they had all intentions of maintaining the signs throughout the construction at great monetary cost.

A sign variance application has been submitted by the applicant requesting permission to remove and then re-erect the roof signs. The staff report with respect to this application is also on the Toronto and East York Community Council’s agenda at this time. The sign report recommends that the applicant be permitted to remove the roof top signs and put the exact same signs back onto the roof once the construction is complete. Staff believe that by giving the applicant the ability to remove the roof top signs during construction, thereby removing the additional cost of keeping the signs in place, a more efficient building will be created and the money saved can be used to restore the south and west heritage facades.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2005/agendas/committees/te/te051115/it009a.pdf (p. 6).

Last edited:
that is correct AoD ... just as the rooftop sign for Tip Top Tailors was reconstructed after Tip Top Lofts were built

I am trying to find how or what I need to do to get that billboard in front of Panorama which is located on top of that warehouse removed or moved.

Figures. It's the same as buying a place next to an abattoir and then complaining about the smell. I know I'm being an ass and it doesn't necessarily hurt to try but, you're wasting your and the city's time.

Personally I don't think these signs should be allowed to stay, period. They're such a blight on the landscape and some of them are insanely bright...

AoD

that is correct AoD ... just as the rooftop sign for Tip Top Tailors was reconstructed after Tip Top Lofts were built

Tip Top Lofts is entirely different. It's not a third party advertisment.

Personally I don't think these signs should be allowed to stay, period. They're such a blight on the landscape and some of them are insanely bright

I agree and feel for this individual but it happened to be allowed and the legal ramifications for the city to call for the dismantling of these signs would be severe. I imagine the east facing signboard closest to Panorama (if there is one) will end up dismantled anyways being hidden behind Panorama. LTD has the potential to take out the western most west facing sign. That's potentially two of four signs. The applicant may consider otherwise.

Last edited:
Poetically speaking, I'd approve of the sign if the Loblaw organization had exclusive rights to what it displays...

Secondly, I was hoping that some one may be able to help me with an inquiry which I have. I am trying to find how or what I need to do to get that billboard in front of Panorama which is located on top of that warehouse removed or moved.
Thankx
That is my favourite billboard. I will fight you.

The last time I checked "Tip Top Tailors" is a store and they do not own the loft building. The sign doesn't read Tip Top Lofts...

Do you know the history of Tip Top Lofts ???

edit: here is some info on its history

http://www.tiptoploft.ca/

Located in downtown Toronto, Tip Top Lofts is Toronto's most prestigeous Loft condominium address as well as being a historical landmark on Toronto's watererfont.

Designed by Bishop and Miller architects in a classic Art Deco style, the building was completed in 1929 and housed the manufacturing, warehousing, retail and office operations of Tip Top Tailors Ltd., a menswear cloting retailer founded in 1910 by Polish immigrant David Dunkelman.

The five-storey U-shaped structure designed by Roy Bishop of Bishop and Miller, Architects and Engineers, featured expansive windows to bring natural light into the working areas of the factory [a brilliant feature in creating residential loft spaces]. The stretch of blank facade above the fifth storey, initially built to support the rooftop sign, was completely enclosed as a sixth storey in 1951. The Tip Top Tailors Building was listed as a Toronto Heritage property in 1972.

The Tip Top Tailors Building was the most elegant industrial structure built in Toronto in the 1920's. It incorporates all the key elements of the Art Deco genra, including a symmetrical facade, strong vertical lines, multiple wall planes at the corners, an elegant two-storey front entrance with articulated brass doors, and numerous examples of geometric and figurative decoration.

Converted to condominiums and completed in 2006 including a 6 storey rooftop addition,

Last edited:
The last time I checked "Tip Top Tailors" is a store and they do not own the loft building. The sign doesn't read Tip Top Lofts

That's looking at the world in black and white ... It's a twist on a historical marquee... not some for rent billboard.

McGraw-Hill isn't here anymore
mcgraw_hill_top_12.jpg

Back