Toronto Pan Am Village in the West Don Lands | ?m | ?s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

On the eastern side of Cherry Street, half-a-block south of Front ... is that fresh concrete I see along the roadway? Is that the base for the streetcar tracks? Or is it the street itself or something ...

It was noted WAAAY back in the thread that they were pouring the concrete road base last fall. It seems to have been poured from just south of Eastern to south of Mill but NOT at the road junctions. I assume the missing bits will follow soon now that 'spring' is here.

The base for the streetcar tracks is not yet poured (as far as one can tell from Eastern) but the bases or the poles seem to be there. The track s supposed to be installed from just south of Mill to just south of Eastern by summer 2013.

From Friday

DSCN4519.jpg

This picture is from the floor of the LTower, not too sure what level. I had to make it loud so you could see something.

Razz bring us closer. :D

As requested SkyJacked, some closer up shots taken today, St. Paddy's day...

IMG_1183_zpscaee98e3.jpg

IMG_1181_zpsc276b094.jpg

IMG_1174_zpsd9b54d3b.jpg

IMG_1176_zps55df9f24.jpg

IMG_1166_zps0be719d6.jpg

This one is of River City and the TCHC developments on King Street, still part of the West Don Lands.
IMG_1168_zps53b53060.jpg

The above images were taken from my 27th floor perch in Pure Spirits (see the right edge of SkyJacked's long shot photo). My unit is the 5th from the top. The pics were taken through the window glass, so they're not the best. More street levels shots to follow...

Last edited:
Ground level pics taken March 17, 2013:

East side of Cherry Street:
IMG_1121_zps7328a7e4.jpg

YMCA building under construction:
IMG_1111_zpsdfe0820b.jpg

South elevation of George Brown College student residence and afforadble housing building under construction:
IMG_1106_zps2b1a9efa.jpg

Close-up on the affordable housing building (block 15):
IMG_1105_zps8c4e9acb.jpg

Mill Street looking east across new signalized intersection with Cherry Street:
IMG_1099_zps301bcd6e.jpg

Mill Street looking east to Don River Park and Bayview Avenue:
IMG_1104_zpsf2b9277d.jpg

Thank you Razz, very nice. I really like the close up of the Steel roof of something, someone will tell us of what. The column forms in the middle of nowhere in the first pic in the second post made me laugh, I wish I took that picture.

Thank you Razz, very nice. I really like the close up of the Steel roof of something, someone will tell us of what. The column forms in the middle of nowhere in the first pic in the second post made me laugh, I wish I took that picture.

SkyJacked, I believe the open web steel joists will support a very large green roof, as seen in the following rendering:
community_image_aerial_1_zps686520a9.jpg

What will be beneath it is anybody's guess, but likely one or both of what's shown in these two rederings:
ymca3_1_zpse0d58119.jpg

ymca2_1_zps417a1fd9.jpg

Below are the exterior renderings of the Y and GBC student residence:
gbc3_1_zpse4437d89.jpg

community_image_looking_east_1_zpsfc204d82.jpg

gbc4_1_zps95645604.jpg

All of the preceding renderings are courtesy of YMCA's website
http://www.ymcagta.org/en/whats-hap...2/jan-2012/ymca-centre-in-west-don-lands.html

According to their website, the Y will have a gross floor area of 51,000 sq. ft., and will house youth and community spaces, a gym, swimming pool and fitness studios.

Funny how renders always emphasise pedestrians and cyclists - people love to live or work in places that are bike and pedestrian friendly.

More often than not, however, no one actually provides appropriate infrastructure for either.

Funny how renders always emphasise pedestrians and cyclists - people love to live or work in places that are bike and pedestrian friendly.

More often than not, however, no one actually provides appropriate infrastructure for either.

I go through this area almost daily and I am very excited about it because, not since Saint Lawrence neighbourhood was built, have we seen anything like this in the core, dense but not unrealistically so, with a nice mix of buildings, great walkability, access to the ravine/trails. My only concern is the growing number of car dealerships claiming space, both on the ground floors of condos already completed and in their own buildings. Audi, BMW, Volvo, Mercedes have their own buildings while I have noticed Lexus, Porsche and other luxury brands on the ground floors. My guess is, they're easily accessed via Bayview from more affluent neighbourhoods to the north and that's why they are there. But they are killing the idea of retail and amenities that will shape this neighbourhood into a proper community. Far as I can tell, the nearest supermarket is a Sobey's near Sherbourne. To get food, etc. you will either have to schlep to the Market and further west on King or head up to Leslieville.

Please, correct me if I am wrong.

My only concern is the growing number of car dealerships claiming space, both on the ground floors of condos already completed and in their own buildings. Audi, BMW, Volvo, Mercedes have their own buildings while I have noticed Lexus, Porsche and other luxury brands on the ground floors. My guess is, they're easily accessed via Bayview from more affluent neighbourhoods to the north and that's why they are there. But they are killing the idea of retail and amenities that will shape this neighbourhood into a proper community. Far as I can tell, the nearest supermarket is a Sobey's near Sherbourne. To get food, etc. you will either have to schlep to the Market and further west on King or head up to Leslieville.

Please, correct me if I am wrong.

What's wrong with dealerships on the ground floor? They look good, and they're significantly better than the suburban type dealerships like the one that was recently demolished on Spadina/Front. As for grocery stores, I think you'll need to wait for more people to move in to see things like that. There's no shortage of grocery stores in any of the newer, but established neighbourhoods in the downtown. There will only be a limited number of dealerships in the neighbourhood, and they're more likely replacing dry cleaners and such.

^^ They kill the street vibe and provide no animation at all. Just like a bank, they will not attract regular customers. Pedestrians will not come out for car dealerships. Restaurants, cafes, bars, destination stores are what attract the crowds but they need to be concentrated and interesting. Bits and pieces of retail, here and there, just doesn't attract large enough numbers of shoppers. You need to create the right synergy. So far, that has not happened in Corktown. (and yes, car dealerships are partly to blame)

^^ They kill the street vibe and provide no animation at all. Just like a bank, they will not attract regular customers. Pedestrians will not come out for car dealerships. Restaurants, cafes, bars, destination stores are what attract the crowds but they need to be concentrated and interesting. Bits and pieces of retail, here and there, just doesn't attract large enough numbers of shoppers. You need to create the right synergy. So far, that has not happened in Corktown. (and yes, car dealerships are partly to blame)
So you need more stores where people hang out then. I always see a big crowd outside the methadone clinic ... perhaps more methadone clinics would create more vibe and animation?

Anyone know what is being built in the lot slightly west of the Don lands action? Looks like shoring is underway for something. Also are there plans for these other large parking lots that are visable in SkyJacked pic?

The work west of the West Don lands is the new Accura car dealership building - replacing the one at Front and Lower Sherbourne. This was initially proposed as a larger building but the City was not keen and they seem to be going for an 'as of right' low-level development just east of the Porsche dealership. I think there is a thread on it but the permit has been Under Review for ages but is:

Application: New Building Status: Under Review

TORONTO ON

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 04 188452 BLD 02 NB Accepted Date: Apr 26, 2012

Project: Car Dealership New Building

Description: Revision to modify 2nd building. New Tenant - "Honda".

The big paved area south of Front Street and east of Trinity is part of the Pan-Am Games site - Welcome Centre - but I have not seen any plans for it. It is to be a temporary building and the site will clearly be up for redevelopment after 2015.

I agree that car dealerships aren't anywhere near as exciting as restaurants/cafes, but they're way better than parking lots. You could see it being a tougher draw attracting people to buy the condos if their neighbours are empty parking lots, as opposed to temporary car dealerships

Back