Toronto Origami Lofts Condos | 22.55m | 7s | Symmetry | Teeple Architects

Realize I'm a dissenting voice here, but personally I love this building, warts and all. Its brash form elevates the strip as a whole and the, yes, unfinished-looking finishes and oddball materials choices are likely to scare away any generic/posh/uppity retailers from running away with the neighborhood. There's a lot of fun spots at that corner and this building fits right in. Queen and Bathurst should be a bit wacky IMO (whether or not that was the intention).

I like the facade and don't think it will discourage gentrifying businesses from setting up shop in the neighbourhood. I hate to read of bad buying experiences like getting an unexpected utility closet in your living room. Poorly built buildings are at risk of becoming slums in the future and can't be described as "a good addition to the neighbourhood".

I ride the Bathurst bus by it 4 days a week.

Ultimately, a likable facade won't save a building with substandard construction. If the initial construction problems are corrected, this building will be fine. But you have to wonder what other undesirable features may be present if there's a utility closet in someone's living room.

Realize I'm a dissenting voice here, but personally I love this building, warts and all. Its brash form elevates the strip as a whole and the, yes, unfinished-looking finishes and oddball materials choices are likely to scare away any generic/posh/uppity retailers from running away with the neighborhood. There's a lot of fun spots at that corner and this building fits right in. Queen and Bathurst should be a bit wacky IMO (whether or not that was the intention).

While I see where you're coming from, I think zany and unpretentious can be achieved while still having competent exterior detailing.

You need to spend 15 minutes on foot carefully examining this origami mess to discover why like Tesla, there's more to a building than wild design. Although I actually do love the raw agricultural aesthetic. I wanna rip it apart and rebuild it grr.
gndCjec.jpg

IvFqzKy.jpg

I'm definitely gonna use this cheap aluminum cladding on my dream home in the woods.:)
d1DR8va.jpg

But my total budget is $150k land included not $400k for a 400 sq ft loft ha.

Didn't Stephen grow up in rural Ontario? I swear his obsession with metal cladding began looking at Ontario's vast stock of aluminum-clad barns and driving sheds.

I can't help but be reminded of the first "building" I ever helped construct: an aluminum grain silo when I was 10 years old.

I kinda like this building, pre natural gas line being run up the side secured by cable ties. That just seems stupid.

the details really bother me, like why could they just not match up the lines in the siding? I still thin its quirky and interesting. A cool building, built by idiots.

Back