Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

When you say you have to cross bike lanes, do you mean the Martin Goodman Trail? Because that's a multi-use trail now. I can't think of any bike-only lanes that you have to cross. Still, this new section is long overdue, and not just because of the beautiful new park!
Depends which route you take. If you cross south at Fleet and Lake Shore, walk west along Lake Shore, left onto Remembrance drive/Martin Goodman (bike path), head south, here you have to cross the bike path to get to the walking path that follows the lake to Trillium Park. But yes, point taken that there will likely be bikes on the multi-use trail.

Speaking of which, that trail along the water just south of where that proposed trail is, needs some lights during the night time. It is pitch dark and people are walking while cyclists speed by, completely oblivious and unseen in the dark to each other.

People in the neighbourhoods around the area have requested it for years and are always told that it is too expensive. Safety apparently doesn't matter -- not just related to cyclists, but a lot of people run through there alone in the early mornings and evenings which can be very dark during the winter months.

People in the neighbourhoods around the area have requested it for years and are always told that it is too expensive. Safety apparently doesn't matter -- not just related to cyclists, but a lot of people run through there alone in the early mornings and evenings which can be very dark during the winter months.
Maybe this new park will be the incentive to finally invest in that.

I only discovered the problem because I myself cycled to the new park at night time through there and was shocked at the conditions. Not only for cyclists, but also for pedestrians. There is an opportunity here for adding cool and colourful light features that are unique and stand out at night too.

I wonder why they did not improve the link between Coronation park and the new eastern portion of Ontario Place? They should have put in some new paving and landscaping to link the two parks together along the waterfront. It's not a pleasant walk between the 2 parks and it could have very easily been turned into a beautiful promenade.

The Ontario Place parking lots (need to go) and Lake Shore Blvd need a reworking and some serious changes. Fort York Blvd would provide a perfect streetcar link to Ontario Place, if that ever gets off the ground.

Maybe this new park will be the incentive to finally invest in that.

I only discovered the problem because I myself cycled to the new park at night time through there and was shocked at the conditions. Not only for cyclists, but also for pedestrians. There is an opportunity here for adding cool and colourful light features that are unique and stand out at night too.

They should also make the MG trail wider in that area- probably double the width at least. Right now it's already at capacity, and it's getting more popular by the day. It's part of my favourite jogging route at the moment, but there's been at least a few close calls with cyclists in the dark.

Last edited:
It's amazing to me how many people I've talked to who don't realize that Ontario Place is now open to the general public.
This video contains footage of the new parkland in the eastern portion of Ontario Place. Skip to 3:20 to view it.

Last edited:
It's amazing to me how many people I've talked to who don't realize that Ontario Place is now open to the general public.

You are, technically, right and the new park is well worth visiting BUT it is not the Ontario Place people remember. If you say "Ontario Place is open" people think they can go to the cinesphere, the pods and the kids park. They can't.

You are, technically, right and the new park is well worth visiting BUT it is not the Ontario Place people remember. If you say "Ontario Place is open" people think they can go to the cinesphere, the pods and the kids park. They can't.
Well, actually, the Cinesphere is reopening this week for the film festival but yes, the other attractions are closed, which I did mention in the video. It's the park that is open, not the attractions.

According to their IG, Partisans won the competition for the Ontario Place makeover.

http://ift.tt/2wQswvO

My impression of the firm is that they have great ideas but a limited portfolio. I'm hoping that Ontario Place will be an opportunity for them to realize some of their most interesting ideas and visions with the backing of a well-resourced patron. It's an opportunity to raise their profile in the global design community and bolster another sector of our economy.

Back