Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

Though I would be hesitant to call it "integrity" - it's more like the little brother complex against Montreal/Expo 67 that drove it.

I can't imagine taxes being used for anything that is purely for joy now (with no expectation of tangible return of some kind)
AoD

Well, Expo was a very successful product of that time and it was a time of optimism and prosperity, and nowhere was as optimistic and prosperous as Ontario. By the time Ontario Place opened, Bill Davis and his Big Blue Machine had rolled into town (back when the PCs were to the left of the Liberals) and schools were properly funded, health care was properly funded, public transit was properly funded and no matter where you went in the province, all roads were pristine blacktop (plus the first thing he did was kill the Spadina Expressway). The basics were done right so it allowed for "gravy".

And life's about the gravy. We should be striving for gravy...not trying to get rid of it. And that's the difference between then and now...we are depressing, not optimistic.

I have always thought that if lakeshore could be "bridged over" with a unintereupted surface from Newfoundland Rd. to Ontario Dr. it would create a very large surface area which could accomodate the annual fair and be "open space" otherwise...that would allow the elimination of the streetcar loop and, instead, the westbound streetcars could continue on past the food building around the Queen Elizabeth complex using PEI Crescent to get to Ontario Dr. and then go west across Prince's Blvd and out through the gates t meet up with Fleet street somehow......Bringing the streetcars much closer to OP.

Obviously my "thoughts" are lacking in any technical analysis but it is how my mind's eye envisions the place.

Why spend all that money when just eliminating it all together makes more sense. It, and the giant parking lots between EX and OP get developed and incorporate whatever road/transit grid required to serve the whole new EX/OP nabe.

Why spend all that money when just eliminating it all together makes more sense. It, and the giant parking lots between EX and OP get developed and incorporate whatever road/transit grid required to serve the whole new EX/OP nabe.
Not clear to me what "it" you are referring to when you say "eliminating it all together makes more sense".

Not clear to me what "it" you are referring to when you say "eliminating it all together makes more sense".

Since I was replying to a post suggesting we bridge over Lakeshore Blvd where it bisects Ex Place and Ontario Place, let's assume "it" is referring to Lakeshore Blvd. I am suggesting that it would be better to eliminate Lakeshore Blvd between Dufferin and Fleet.

Since I was replying to a post suggesting we bridge over Lakeshore Blvd where it bisects Ex Place and Ontario Place, let's assume "it" is referring to Lakeshore Blvd. I am suggesting that it would be better to eliminate Lakeshore Blvd between Dufferin and Fleet.
ok...thanks for the clarification....then, I disagree.

and where would you put the traffic? that's a well used stretch of road, particularly when an event is going on.

and where would you put the traffic? that's a well used stretch of road, particularly when an event is going on.

You would have plenty of options. Use the existing Gardiner ramp. Use the existing Dufferin exit. At this point I would have the existing Ex Place roadways make a better link to Fleet/Lakeshore for those who want to remain on Lakeshore or turn at Bathurst or Queens Quay.

Use all the existing land currently used by Lakeshore and all that surface parking at both Ex and OP for mixed use development. New roadways would obviously need to be designed to suit whatever gets built.

Time to get rid of the surface parking.

The actual OP could become more of a year round place while still maintaining its original mandate of entertainment, culture and recreation. I would expand the marina...one of my favorite aspects of Ontario Place.

Last edited:
I wish the New Fort York had been built as planned, with its masonry walls. We could have our own citadel that would have been interesting to integrate into the city.

1995CNE.ASICompositeMap1840-1950sm.jpg

I know, but imagine if they'd built the planned wall around the fort. It would likely have been historically designated, meaning the CNE would have to go elsewhere.

I imagine it would like like the forward part of Britain's Fort George, just to before the central barracks buildings. Of course on a smaller scale.

01.jpg

I know, but imagine if they'd built the planned wall around the fort. It would likely have been historically designated, meaning the CNE would have to go elsewhere.

I imagine it would like like the forward part of Britain's Fort George, just to before the central barracks buildings. Of course on a smaller scale.

01.jpg

The CNE used to be just the western part of Exhibition Park (now Exhibition Place). That included the Ontario Building, the Arts & Craft Building, Horticultural Building, and others. The Dufferin Gates were the "main" entrance to the CNE. The CNE expanded eastward to include the Coliseum, the Automotive Building, and others. Which is why the Princes' Gates are now the "main" entrance to the CNE.

Nowadays, the fiscal politicians and bureaucrats turned towards worshiping money, which meant turning the buildings over to making money. Most of the buildings in the west end of the grounds have moved away from exhibition use to dance halls, banquets, or a theme restaurant. Some of the land in the west end of the ex grounds also have been turned over to sports training.
Raptors_zpscb1c9bfc.jpg

It would have nice if the New Fort was kept along with all the buildings kept for exhibition use.

Miss the grandstand shows, when they had a movable stage at the grandstand.

Back