Toronto Ontario Line: Osgoode Station | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | HDR

I recall that there were plans to renovate St. Patrick and St. Andrew stations more than a decade ago along the lines of Museum to make them more unique and "fancy" - where did those projects ever go? 🤣

The money was to be raised by the Toronto Community Foundation.

But w/Museum from the get-go not fitting the initial, modest budget; such that the platform lighting plan had to be VE'd.....

The rest of the project went nowhere.

It's worth saying there were seeds of a good idea there; but the money allocated on day one was insufficient for purpose, I think they tried to do everything for 5M, as it is, that led to an initial plan that could be described as an incomplete thought (the finishes didn't extend up the stairs to the concourse level; and initial cost containment (platform tile work by the jail cell was just painted over rather that properly refinished with matching tile; and they never tried to improve the floors, or modify the track-side lighting.

Notwithstanding those shortcomings, they still had to VE further to fit the budget.

There's no way a properly conceived station facelift, for a smaller station even, one done without seeking structural changes or expansion, should ever be budgeted at under 15M and even that is a bit questionable.

The project also should have leveraged easier access and second exit programs to gain mileage, but for reasons beyond me, did not.

I liked the Museum renovations. It looks much better now than it did before, though it would look even better if someone bothered to come through and clean it every now and then.

From Transit Toronto, this was the original proposal:

1677864447640.png

What we got, (taken from YELP)

1677864501826.png

From Transit Toronto, this was the original proposal:

What we got, (taken from YELP)
Eh. The lack of the sarcophagus shaped pillars is a shame, but otherwise I prefer what we got to the rendering. I can't abide by the cool, clinical, waiting room colour temperature of the render.

Opposite to the station headhouse site is Campbell House. A heritage home, which some may know, was once located further east, in the midst of the current George Brown College campus.

Given the currency of this corner, when I stumbled across the pic below, I decided it would go here instead of the 'Then and Now' photo section.

The photo is of the north-west corner of Queen and University; before Campbell House was moved there; (taken in 1926)

1678109330726.png

To orient yourself, you're looking north-east, and the Osgood Hall fence can be see on the right hand side of the image.

Note, the landmark Canada Life building had not yet been erected!

This is a 'now' shot from Streetview:

1678109565723.png

Last edited:
...where the original buildings were mowed down for a corporate tower?

To be fair I guess, that seemed to happen 5 years later of taking that pic. And those buildings in question as ornate as they weren't all that elderly at the time, I gather. Or something like that.

so yea metrolinx is still open to moving the entrance but they need concrete funding and design approval by the city first. I wouldn't be surprised to hear a 50 mil budget for that.
no way city council gets themselves together to do this.

...but "Mow'emdown Zoning Orders" Doug wanted 'em gone.

Reactions: T3G
Heritage fence removal and construction preparation works at Osgoode Hall
Expected start date: As early as January 2, 2024
Expected duration: Approximately two months.
Hours of work: Weekdays: Daytime from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. and overnight from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.

Expected work includes:

Removal of heritage stones & fence

• Construction fencing has already been installed around the work area and work will be done behind the fencing.
• Specialized restoration crews will remove the stones on the east side of University Avenue, adjacent to the heritage fence. This needs to be done to expose the foundation of the heritage fence. The stones will be safely stored and reinstalled after the completion of the new Ontario Line Osgoode station.
• Crews will also cut a portion of the concrete sidewalk on Queen Street, to expose the foundation of the heritage fence.
• A hydrovac truck will be used to remove debris and soil adjacent to the heritage fence, to facilitate removal of the fence. Hydrovac work will be completed overnight.
• As the heritage fence is removed, each panel of the fence and stone foundation will be set on a special-frame and securely transported for safe storage. These will be reinstated in a new position after the completion of the new Ontario Line Osgoode Station.
• Once this work is complete, ground protection mats will be placed on the cobblestone walkway inside the Osgoode Hall property to protect the cobblestones from equipment, mud, and other debris.

Preparation of North construction site

• Crews will undertake several activities to prepare the area inside and around the future north station site for station construction work.
• One light post near the north shaft will be removed and placed in storage during the station build, with intent to reinstall it in the future.
• Crews will also install sediment and erosion control measures like silt sock and/or silt fence barrier around the perimeter of the North site and catch basins to contain any mud and debris inside the site and minimize runoffs during rain and snow melt.
• Crews will also prepare the North site for the next phase of work by removing topsoil to create a flat work surface and placing compacted granular material. This work will be completed overnight.
• Access and egress locations will be routinely cleaned to remove mud and debris.

What to expect

• The work is scheduled to begin as early as January 2, 2024, and is expected to take approximately two

Back