Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

1673372707441.png

I would say that while Moss Park is an important community hub for people accessing social services in the neighbourhood, it doesn't serve much of a community recreational function, other than maybe the hockey rink. We use playgrounds in the neighbourhood frequently, but have never set foot in Moss Park. The kid has asked us why, and it's a question that just opens up too many other questions. I have no idea what the future promises for Moss Park after the construction is done, but I'm not sure there are many people who will miss the trees.

I’m following the park and recreation centre revitalization project quite closely. There’s general agreement that neither the existing recreation centre nor the park space is working well for anyone. That should hopefully change with a brand new recreation centre and the baseball field removed with the space repurposed.

I would say that while Moss Park is an important community hub for people accessing social services in the neighbourhood, it doesn't serve much of a community recreational function, other than maybe the hockey rink. We use playgrounds in the neighbourhood frequently, but have never set foot in Moss Park. The kid has asked us why, and it's a question that just opens up too many other questions. I have no idea what the future promises for Moss Park after the construction is done, but I'm not sure there are many people who will miss the trees.

I do think some people will miss the trees, they're the nicest feature of the park quite frankly.

That said, trade-offs do have to be made.

On the social service question. Maxwell Meighen, the Salvation Army run Shelter across the street will likely be wound down at some point. Its not a very nice facility and doesn't serve the community well. To be clear, I expect the shelter beds will be replaced, some, quite possibly on-site.

But we're seeing a long overdue transition from the current shelter design towards SRO-style shelters with no hours restrictions, and typically, capacities under 70.

For clarity, I am not suggesting anything is imminent here; simply that style of facility and operating model is recognized as antiquated and problematic.

Nothing is likely to be done here until the Seaton House project is done in a few years.

One of the pro-tree activists drove his car into the fence this afternoon... the police were called. Not sure if he was arrested.

Pretty ironic that someone trying to stop a public transit project used their private vehicle to wreck it 😂

The site is an mesh mash that the whole block should be razed and start from a fresh page.

Trees are trees and they are not that old to the point in 20 years, new ones would replace them. There used to be buildings in this area that were torn down for what is there now.

With some real thinking and done right, it would play a major role for future residents as well existing ones once ML leaves the area.

Its funny that people call for more park's, yet most are underused in the first place. Having trees are more important than empty space. Sport fields are a must as well along where kids can play.

One of the pro-tree activists drove his car into the fence this afternoon... the police were called. Not sure if he was arrested.

Pretty ironic that someone trying to stop a public transit project used their private vehicle to wreck it 😂

Do you have a link to the story? Not seeing it yet on google.

Its funny that people call for more park's, yet most are underused in the first place. Having trees are more important than empty space. Sport fields are a must as well along where kids can play.

I don't think most parks are underused, though. Go to St. James or Sackville on a weekend with good weather and they're packed with people. Moss Park, right between them and surrounded by residential buildings, is underused as a park space for very specific reasons.

The site is an mesh mash that the whole block should be razed and start from a fresh page.

Trees are trees and they are not that old to the point in 20 years, new ones would replace them. There used to be buildings in this area that were torn down for what is there now.

With some real thinking and done right, it would play a major role for future residents as well existing ones once ML leaves the area.

Why have kids play in parks? I played on the streets when I was a kid.

Zechariah 8

1 Again the word of the LORD Almighty came to me.
2 This is what the LORD Almighty says: "I am very jealous for Zion; I am burning with jealousy for her."
3 This is what the LORD says: "I will return to Zion and dwell in Jerusalem. Then Jerusalem will be called the City of Truth, and the mountain of the LORD Almighty will be called the Holy Mountain."
4 This is what the LORD Almighty says: "Once again men and women of ripe old age will sit in the streets of Jerusalem, each with cane in hand because of his age
5 The city streets will be filled with boys and girls playing there."

Do you have a link to the story? Not seeing it yet on google.
There will be no news story. From what I heard, Metrolinx officials asked the police not to arrest the guy and are keeping it under wraps... my assumption is that they don't want to bring media attention to this guy or his organization- this is part of their MO. Unfortunately contractor activity on the site had to stop for the day, so he was (somewhat) successful in his mission. A police report was filed but last I heard he was not charged. If it's up to Metrolinx, he won't be.

Back