Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

As this is a general Ontario Line thing I post it here - of course, their HUGE and ugly fences have mostly been up for months already so the time for these consultations was LAST year.

1723412442411.png

Some recent construction pictures tweet out here with this description:

DYK we're rebuilding the Queen bridge in Riverside? Recently, crews poured 240 cubic m of concrete over ~30 tons of steel to create the new bridge support. It took about 8 hrs & 26 concrete trucks to get the job done. Once complete, it will serve both Ontario Line & GO trains.

1723659398065.png

1723659485484.png

1723659512999.png

1723659536031.png

Views of the prep work north of the Pape portal from the Leaside (Millwood) bridge, from north to south, from this afternoon.
View attachment 588120
I got stopped by a flag person on the trail this afternoon while they were moving in 3 huge dump trucks. According to her, that flat area at left adjacent the DVP will be where a crane will be installed.

Last edited:
I noticed at the weekend 4/5 houses at Hopedale Ave /Minton Place have been fenced off and look ready for demo.
This is up where the tunnel will emerge to cross over the Don Valley.

Yes, you are correct, Minton Place is where the line emerges from underground.

Here's the location from the Metrolinx website:
1724101580457.png

A few years ago the affected folks on Minton Place tried to stop from being expropriated but it didn't work. Unfortunate reality when it comes to public works projects.

Edit: added the image.

Yes, you are correct, Minton Place is where the line emerges from underground.

Here's the location from the Metrolinx website:
View attachment 589460

A few years ago the affected folks on Minton Place tried to stop from being expropriated but it didn't work. Unfortunate reality when it comes to public works projects.

Edit: added the image.
oh look they misspelled DONLANDS AVE. On another note it will be quite a sight to see this bridge come together over the next couple years.

I imagine it sucks very much for them but its gotta be done

That's not entirely clear. They appear to have some concern that tunneling, well below these properties, may result in cracking of foundations/structural damage.

Certainly, if that is the case, they would be on the hook; and if the risk were significant enough that there was any risk of structural collapse of buildings (or a gas explosion), then the current residents have to move out, at least temporarily.

Of course, neither the residents, nor the public seem to have seen the geological testing results that indicate a danger, and the degree of risk.

Mx staff also appear to have told residents that their properties will be resold after the O/L is complete. This would seem to suggest a fairly low risk in the mind of Mx; and those same staffers indicated Mx would sell at market price, so existing residents could not buy back at what they were paid, or the same indexed to inflation.

The optics make this look a bit like a money-making ploy; which I could arguably get behind, but I'd want to see transparency around that.

From the description, these appear to be the properties in question (aerial):

1724260098559.png

Note the proximity to the new O/L Station would allow for this to be considered an MTSA, and fully assembled, the total area works for an intensified development, albeit backing on to SFH.

The lots are very shallow though, and would not be conducive to a conventional tower. This would either go midrise, or slab-style, which, because its orientation would be N-S would be acceptable in my judgement, though I doubt the locals would agree.

Of course, they could just buy the homes on Poucher (the other side of the laneway, and then comprehensively re-do the block, which would be easier.

That's not entirely clear. They appear to have some concern that tunneling, well below these properties, may result in cracking of foundations/structural damage.

Certainly, if that is the case, they would be on the hook; and if the risk were significant enough that there was any risk of structural collapse of buildings (or a gas explosion), then the current residents have to move out, at least temporarily.

Of course, neither the residents, nor the public seem to have seen the geological testing results that indicate a danger, and the degree of risk.

Mx staff also appear to have told residents that their properties will be resold after the O/L is complete. This would seem to suggest a fairly low risk in the mind of Mx; and those same staffers indicated Mx would sell at market price, so existing residents could not buy back at what they were paid, or the same indexed to inflation.

The optics make this look a bit like a money-making ploy; which I could arguably get behind, but I'd want to see transparency around that.

From the description, these appear to be the properties in question (aerial):

View attachment 589828

Note the proximity to the new O/L Station would allow for this to be considered an MTSA, and fully assembled, the total area works for an intensified development, albeit backing on to SFH.

The lots are very shallow though, and would not be conducive to a conventional tower. This would either go midrise, or slab-style, which, because its orientation would be N-S would be acceptable in my judgement, though I doubt the locals would agree.

Of course, they could just buy the homes on Poucher (the other side of the laneway, and then comprehensively re-do the block, which would be easier.
Great location for a midrise along Pape, maybe with some retail and townhouses at ground level. I'm pretty sure the block along Langley is envisioned as something similar. It'll be a nice little pocket of TOC when finished.

I imagine it sucks very much for them but its gotta be done
Does it though? These aren't needed for construction - these are simply to protect Metrolinx's ass in case there is structural damage (aka settling) - after they've said there shouldn't be any structural damage.

Which they buy at market prices, and then resell years later at the then market prices.

This could be handled better. Heck, even offer the residents the choice of accepting a waiver!

This is simply Metrolinx being the incompetent lying **** that they usually are.

Mx would sell at market price, so existing residents could not buy back at what they were paid, or the same indexed to inflation

This seems to be the biggest problem with it,
This situation feels more like "when you have a hammer everything is a nail"

Im sure MX could work out an agreement or anything, maybe simply renting the property from the owners with a waiver
This is simply MX just using the only tool they know how to use

Back