Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Went through these earlier and just thought on option E and F. Could they not close down simcoe between Richmond and queen for the lay down area? And possibly for the key hole?

LSO alternatives to current proposal
1676218531245.png
1676218847805.png
1676218686506.png
1676218712753.png
1676218723499.png
1676218745130.png
1676218761909.png
1676218773221.png
1676218791798.png
1676218810699.png
1676218868042.png
1676218885937.png
1676218902906.png
1676218917163.png

Metrolinx Response to LSO alternatives

1676219432172.png
1676219441262.png
1676219463736.png
1676219483153.png
1676219504635.png
1676219519168.png

What I find interesting is that the LSO did not propose, and seemingly neither did Mx at any point, the option of cut-and-cover on Queen, which my source mooted as an alternative worth considering.

Though of course, as noted, the drawback is that it works best if you end up putting the headhouse in the Queen St. ROW which definitely requires a permanent closure to cars of that section of Queen.

In the open-cut concept, it is also possible to put the headhouse in the University Avenue ROW, but the vertical circulation is a tad more roundabout.

Last edited:
What I find interesting is that the LSO did not propose, and seemingly neither did Mx at any point, the option of cut-and-cover on Queen, which my source mooted as an alternative worth considering.

Though of the course, as noted, the drawback is that it works best if you end up putting the headhouse in the Queen St. ROW which definitely requires a permanent closure to cars of that section of Queen.

In the open-cut concept, it is also possible to put the headhouse in the University Avenue ROW, but the vertical circulation is a tad more roundabout.
im also a fan of the cut and cover on queen, to make better circulation in regards to the Line1 and ontario line platforms. The biggest mistake in my opinion is not having a direct connection between line 1 and the Simcoe entrance. The reason i think metrolinx doesn't mention the cut and cover method is because it would require the queen streetcar diversion to be extended to Spadina. The current diversion via York would not work, and that would require a complete reengineering of the station. Honestly worth it in my opinion but the consordium would probably request a new contract be issued as the delay would be singnificant.

im also a fan of the cut and cover on queen, to make better circulation in regards to the Line1 and ontario line platforms. The biggest mistake in my opinion is not having a direct connection between line 1 and the Simcoe entrance. The reason i think metrolinx doesn't mention the cut and cover method is because it would require the queen streetcar diversion to be extended to Spadina. The current diversion via York would not work, and that would require a complete reengineering of the station. Honestly worth it in my opinion but the consordium would probably request a new contract be issued as the delay would be singnificant.

I'd be willing to choose a different option, if the costs, in both time and money were entirely unreasonable (in the cut and cover Queen option); but I would like to see the option discussed so that we can all weigh in on the trade offs.

An extra 50M for argument's sake, on a 20B project, with a delay of six months or less would be entirely reasonable to build a much better station.

An extra 250M and a 2-year delay would be rather hard to swallow.

Lets just have an open-airing of the trade-offs, rather than a defensive, secretive posture.

Last edited:
LOL are the same people going to complain that metrolinx cut the trees "expecting an appeal" and it was "bad faith" that they cut them down?
i wonder
If they wanted to operate as good stewards of public projects they would have delayed it. No work is even being done at this site for months after the trees are removed. But they are not interested in anyone questioning them.

I'd be willing to choose a different option, if the costs, in both time and money were entirely unreasonable (in the cut and cover Queen option); but I would like to see the option discussed so that we can all weigh in on the trade offs.
Seems like a no-brainer. There is almost nothing that would make the downtown core better than closing that part of Queen to cars. It would easily pay off in tourist dollars in a pretty short time frame.

But of course, they won't do it.

Any news on the Judge's decision for the latest injunction?

My understanding is that on Friday the court did not grant the LSO's request for an extension of the injunction. It also rejected a similar request by the Haudenosaunee Development Institute.

Metrolinx then proceeded to chop down more trees.

On Saturday morning, the HDI appealed this decision to the Court of Appeal, which ordered Metrolinx to stop work until a hearing is held on Tuesday.

My personal opinion is that this appeal has little chance of success, but I am not as familiar with HDI's arguments.

This LINE will never be built. It's blue smoke and mirrors.
I'm not sure how it won't be built now, given the contracts that have already been dished out. These aren't old fashioned 1990s Eglinton West contracts where you can just cancel the contract after work starts, with minimal penalties.

Back