Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Endorsing the devil was always going to bite them in the ass.
Their asses are still in tact. The other unions were afraid the same of what happened with education support workers will happen to them.
Endorsement was given based on the PCs "pro-construction" stance.

Forgotten question. Which station or stations will have washrooms? Will they be gender neutral washrooms (like they have at Yorkdale Mall)?

yorkdale.jpg

From link.

(Full length doors and walls for privacy.) After all, most homes have gender neutral washrooms.

Reactions: dkt
Forgotten question. Which station or stations will have washrooms? Will they be gender neutral washrooms (like they have at Yorkdale Mall)?

yorkdale.jpg

From link.

(Full length doors and walls for privacy.) After all, most homes have gender neutral washrooms.
Well the TTC usually puts washrooms at terminals and interchanges so, Science Centre, Pape, Queen, Osgoode, and Exhibition.

This is incorrect. The Crosstown and Finch West are being supervised by the rapid transit department, not surface transit.

Dan
The scope of the consortium included preparation of the operating rule book, and at least at the time (a few years ago), the consortium was building the LRT Rule Book for on-street operation based off the existing streetcar document.

However, in the "fog of war" of a P3, I wouldn't be surprised if multiple groups were all working on the operating procedures at the same time without talking to each other. It's very possible they've changed direction since then to a more reasonable position.

The scope of the consortium included preparation of the operating rule book, and at least at the time (a few years ago), the consortium was building the LRT Rule Book for on-street operation based off the existing streetcar document.

However, in the "fog of war" of a P3, I wouldn't be surprised if multiple groups were all working on the operating procedures at the same time without talking to each other. It's very possible they've changed direction since then to a more reasonable position.

Which means the authors of the said "operating rule book" will be lawyers or people who never ever take public transit of any-kind.

I remember seeing "Please Dismount" signs on the cycling path next to Eglinton Avenue West in Etobicoke at each traffic signal intersection, when it opened. Likely demanded they be put up by non-cyclists. Of course, no cyclist did dismount. Eventually, those signs disappeared.

Reactions: PL1

"Preparation of the operating rule book" doesn't mean that the operating authority will use it. And my understanding is that is exactly the case, that the TTC is building its own based on its already existing ones.

Dan

"Preparation of the operating rule book" doesn't mean that the operating authority will use it. And my understanding is that is exactly the case, that the TTC is building its own based on its already existing ones.

Dan
Any TTC employee on site would have to comply with the Infrastructure Manager's operating rules as well as the TTC's own rulebook. The infrastructure manager has the right to set working rules to protect the safety of passengers and workers on site. The TTC is of course free to create it's own rules for its own employees, but the Infra Manager has the right to veto anything it believes is unsafe.

It used to be that one didn't need to have any driver's license to operate a streetcar or subway train. Since they were electric railways, and had "priority" over other vehicles including motor vehicles. That changed in the 21st century, along with the priority that they used to have.

Yeah, it is just condos, which a stop at Strachan could have served.

This is just a bunch of excuse-making for MX at this point. And given the problems at Crosstown, we have no reason to trust them. Stick to the original plan and tell people the TTC is going too slow, and they couldn't do it.

Exhibition which already serves multiple streetcar routes, the very busy Dufferin bus, (soon the Ossington bus too), and which will have a four platform regional rail station doesn't align with the "it's just condos" statement - I don't get why you keep repeating that. Even today with meh GO service Exhibition is surprisingly busy.

An entire neighborhood the size of Cityplace might have 20,000 residents but a station like this can drive far more ridership - no reason LSW couldn't be moving 500,000+ riders per day post RER and only a fraction would need to switch at Ex to make it extremely busy.

The Crosstown was not a Metrolinx project from the top - so I am hesitant to blame all the issues on them. Clearly Mx has it's issues but, I think its hard to judge based on a lot of decisions that were locked in before they took Eglinton over.

It used to be that one didn't need to have any driver's license to operate a streetcar or subway train. Since they were electric railways, and had "priority" over other vehicles including motor vehicles. That changed in the 21st century, along with the priority that they used to have.

Just thinking - noone ever needed a license to operate a horse cart.

And the reason is - a horse possesses certain level of intelligence, arguably greater than that of some modern motorists. The horse will try to avoid a collision, even when the "operator" is oblivious or negligient.

Exhibition which already serves multiple streetcar routes, the very busy Dufferin bus, (soon the Ossington bus too), and which will have a four platform regional rail station doesn't align with the "it's just condos" statement - I don't get why you keep repeating that. Even today with meh GO service Exhibition is surprisingly busy.

An entire neighborhood the size of Cityplace might have 20,000 residents but a station like this can drive far more ridership - no reason LSW couldn't be moving 500,000+ riders per day post RER and only a fraction would need to switch at Ex to make it extremely busy.

The Crosstown was not a Metrolinx project from the top - so I am hesitant to blame all the issues on them. Clearly Mx has it's issues but, I think its hard to judge based on a lot of decisions that were locked in before they took Eglinton over.
So Exhibition has good transit already then. So what exactly is the plan for Parkdale and West Queen, which the DRL was supposed to serve? The statement about condos is clear because this terminus is for the RE industry. How about we do more to serve underserved communities?

Metrolinx has been building this line for 10 years - at some point, they have to take responsibility. And there is no reason to believe the exact same won't happen with this line. But we're stuck with what we have. Let's hope they don't screw it up.

Reactions: syn
So Exhibition has good transit already then. So what exactly is the plan for Parkdale and West Queen, which the DRL was supposed to serve? The statement about condos is clear because this terminus is for the RE industry. How about we do more to serve underserved communities?

Metrolinx has been building this line for 10 years - at some point, they have to take responsibility. And there is no reason to believe the exact same won't happen with this line. But we're stuck with what we have. Let's hope they don't screw it up.
In what way are these 2 ideas mutually exclusive? Beyond Exhibition, the line can go north along Dufferin to Eglinton, or maybe go up Roncesvalles until it reaches Keele. Not to mention Parkdale is by no means hurting for transit access with GO getting more frequent service.

Exhibition is 1km south of Queen, it is by no means that major of a diversion that makes serving these communities impossible, not to mention I find it hard to believe that these communities are "underserved" by any stretch of the imagination.

In what way are these 2 ideas mutually exclusive? Beyond Exhibition, the line can go north along Dufferin to Eglinton, or maybe go up Roncesvalles until it reaches Keele. Not to mention Parkdale is by no means hurting for transit access with GO getting more frequent service.

Exhibition is 1km south of Queen, it is by no means that major of a diversion that makes serving these communities impossible, not to mention I find it hard to believe that these communities are "underserved" by any stretch of the imagination.
Fair enough. Let's see what happens. Hoping for the best for this line.

Back