Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Liberals will lose the next election because of the leader they selected today. Expect a Tory reelection which means.... Subways subways subways

I don't know about that. I think enough people are done with Ford. However this could be good for the NDP. On the other hand, it could mean a minority government.

I don't know about that. I think enough people are done with Ford. However this could be good for the NDP. On the other hand, it could mean a minority government.
A minority would be a strong possibility. OTOH, people have short memories, of the people who are actually going to get out and vote, will they kick them out? Mike Harris PCs got at least two teams IIRC.

A minority would be a strong possibility. OTOH, people have short memories, of the people who are actually going to get out and vote, will they kick them out? Mike Harris PCs got at least two teams IIRC.
Exactly 2 terms.
Things are different now. I think that $600M media bailout from Trudeau will partly go towards undermining Ford.
Despite an abysmal performance from Trudeau, that same fund was used to push him over the top - in seat count if not total vote.
I could see the same thing in 2+ years that regardless of the economic conditions or balance sheet, enough voters will be led like sheep to support the Liberals. (they will likely have to find a way to undermine the NDP as well).

The biggest factor regarding the possibility of this being built is whether or not the government will be able to find private partners willing to build this thing. IO's recent procurement issues, particularly around the Hamilton LRT and GO Electrification, has me concerned the the P3 model utilized by the government is just fundamentally broken. If this project ever does move forward, it's budget will likely be far in excess of the ~$11 Billion set aside. Hopefully I'm wrong though... but IO's recent track record is not inspiring

Furthermore, the idea that the private sector would be willing to accept building a project of this scale, with this many unknowns, for $11 Billion seems like a bit of a reach to me. Can't help but feel like this is gonna end up in the same position as the Hamilton LRT, with the prices delivered by the prospective private partners being far in excess of what was budgeted.

Last edited:
People on the Eglinton thread are speculating wont open until 2023 and people here are speculating it could open in 2027. That's some pretty optimistic people for this line. I'll say this will be up and running closer to 2035.

People on the Eglinton thread are speculating wont open until 2023 and people here are speculating it could open in 2027. That's some pretty optimistic people for this line. I'll say this will be up and running closer to 2035.

lol... yea. This project has too many unknowns and risks at play. They will run into challenge and this will be delayed far beyond 2027, likely with substantial cost overruns as well. Not to say that it shouldn't be built... but this timeline is a boldfaced lie. The government needs to stop acting as if private sector magic will make engineering constraints vanish

If Metrolinx is intelligent, they'd design this project such that the most critical segment can be operational, in case that the other segments fail to be delivered on time. In this case, that means between Pape and Yonge. The fact that there hasn't yet been any plans for a staged opening is concerning

I don't see this getting started by 2022. Coronavirus fallout, economic recession, massive deficits/cuts, infighting between various players and Ford's incompetence doom this project as is. Remember, Ford & Co couldn't deliver a proper license plate.

This will likely become Liberal project again (or Lib/NDP).

I don't see this getting started by 2022. Coronavirus fallout, economic recession, massive deficits/cuts, infighting between various players and Ford's incompetence doom this project as is. Remember, Ford & Co couldn't deliver a proper license plate.

In case of a recession, the Ontario Line would be a "make work" project.

Maybe The Netherlands will declare war on Ontario to fight Doug on climate change. That'll help the economy. But then, Doug would have skipped those high school or college classes, of course.

Wow, that’s a good point I hadn’t thought of. Even if localized disruptions due to COVID-19 are minimal, supply chains might still be disrupted. Too early to really say for certain what the impact will be.

Ford & Co still delivered a new license plate. Just not a proper one. Likewise, they will deliver Ontario Line, but not quite the proper one in terms of capacity.

These days, noone in the right mind does deep cuts during a recession; not even Ford & Co. On the contrary, infrastructure spending as a way to revive the economy is a common tool.

If Metrolinx is intelligent, they'd design this project such that the most critical segment can be operational, in case that the other segments fail to be delivered on time. In this case, that means between Pape and Yonge. The fact that there hasn't yet been any plans for a staged opening is concerning

Good idea, but its feasibility depends on the location of the yard. Or, one can rephrase it as "designating the Pape to Yonge section as critical and cant-be-delayed mandates the yard connection to that section".

General Question for anyone to answer -

1) Do you think the Ontario Line will end up being built and Why? Will Ford be able to get his blank together and put this line into motion before the 2022 elections so that the next government will be unable to cancel it?

If yes to the above question...

2) Do you think the Ontario Line will open by December 2027. If Yes Why? If no, Why and When do you think so?
1) No, I don't. The reaction to the line is negative and Ford would alienate even more people by shoving it down everyone's throat.

Good idea, but its feasibility depends on the location of the yard. Or, one can rephrase it as "designating the Pape to Yonge section as critical and cant-be-delayed mandates the yard connection to that section".

This gives a good reason to use existing subway tech so that they can use the Greenwood yard.

Back