Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

lead82 is right. The new regs, particularly fire code, certainly do impact the way stations are built, and prevent things as minimalist as we have on Line 2, but there is no requirement for the sheer size of mezzanine levels that have become universal - or technically speaking to have mezzanines at all.

I'd also agree that the biggest driver is the refusal to go above ground. Even when we were talking about the SRT extension, somehow using the Malvern ROW required cut and cover tunnelling by the time the EA was done. We literally decided that it was untenable to have a line in a right of way specifically preserved for it.

Exactly. I see no reason why SSE needs to be buried for the entire 6km. Sure making Line 2 go north at Kennedy is tight but why can’t it go elevated for most of the route. It would have made for much cheaper project.

^ Compared to some other strings, dialogue and meaningful discussion is exemplary in this one. May it remain so!

The main cost driver is that fact we are building tunnels where they are not needed.
The new stations we build are massive. All of the Sheppard stations (including Sheppard West) and the new TYSSE are massive overbuilds.
They're obscenely overbuilt chasms of excess. That money should have gone into building utilitarian tunnels and stations. For parking? Let the private sector handle that. Motorists are getting their gonads licked every which way. Make them pay the costs they incur just as transit users w/o cars do.

There's a happy balance for vehicle size as @MisterF (IIRC) indicates, and it's available *off the shelf* in different widths and lengths from many manufacturers, but all still meeting accepted int'l standards. (Some of them even accept various voltage standards, eg: 25kVAC and 750/1500VDC).

The 'assumption' that Relief is to be TTC gauge subway is a dangerous one. It is being hinted at by many, but does not appear in print as fact. Ostensibly the decision will be made by the company(ies)/consortium that wins the bid on the DBFOM or an even tighter P3. And the last thing an outside bidder would go for is TTC gauge and the costly, unnecessary connecting tunnels to Line 2 and then the complicated and unnecessary signalling situation, re-siting of existing and replacement T stock, etc, etc.

For the cost and complication of all that, just build something *compatible* with RER and using *off the shelf* stock. I continue to be boggled with Toronto's ceaseless navel gazing over orthodox subways. It's like investing in a Sony Betamax collection. *It has no future!* other than the unique collection that only Torontonians could love. And then run the line to *by-pass* the subway, relieving it in the best of ways: Before anyone has to get on the subway to begin with. And for those who do have to use the subway, no massive upgrades would be necessary. It's time to reap the return from the massive amounts of money already put into the subway. Why choke it up even more?

The choice for the future has been made with the LRT's: Standard international gauge! Both track and UIC sized body gauge. It will be ditto with RER (signalling and control systems may be locally honed, but compatible across the fleet to allow interlining of LRTs and RER, even if temporarily separated. A tunnel, when built, is built to accommodate RER and lesser body gauge (single deck, double deck can be squeezed in, but that's yesterday's approach being abandoned in many cases for regional/commuter use). DD can still be used to serve the nether regions with fewer stops in between.

Last edited:
Why would the capacity be smaller when we know that the ridership will be high from day one?
Well, here's the rub...and I've posted this a number of times in these forums, straight from the City's own reports:
1548638508260.png
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-94624.pdf

More at:
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/ttc-relief-line-south-in-design.6155/page-575 #8,616

They plan to begin with four car trains, because the ridership *isn't going to be high* from "day one". Which, if you think about it, points out the absolute absurdity of this exercise from the start. That's why I coined the phrase: "The Pape Entitlement". THAT's who's going to using it mostly. Either plan big on this, or don't do it at all. And "Big" for me means *regional* so the Pape Entitlees get their ride, but so do all the others paying tax to build this: Those in the outer burbs. And that's yet another reason for this to be Metrolinx, not TTC. It has to be part of RER, so branches can go off to varying destinations, and 'downtown' can mean 'centre core' or 'Union'. This is how many highly successful cities do it. This is where "metro" meets" Regional Rail".
We should expect the Relief Line stations to be around the same size as the Sheppard Line.
Full disclosure: I've never been on the Sheppard Line, but from everything I read about it, it was built (gist) "to do the job and not waste a penny more than necessary". The stations were modelled on the lower Spadina Line 1 leg. Simple, clean and functional, with a hint of happiness to dispel the washroom look.

It's a timeless winning formula that politicians have played havoc with, which is why we end up with the Hugh Mungous designed Monstrosities further up the TYSSE. I haven't seen them, and I don't wish to. I'd like to whisk by them on an RER though, and get right out of town.

Attachments

• 1548638315330.png
    1548638315330.png
    51 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
I've always just assumed that the RL would use the same Rocket trains and platform lengths as are currently used on line 1. Why would the capacity be smaller when we know that the ridership will be high from day one?

Because everyone, even on here seems to want to reinvent the wheel.

I would think it silly to use different stuff than the rest of the subway. We need to build for the future. I get that long trains and high frequency can help, but guess what? by making long and frequent TRs we can move even more people!

Maybe we should build for 1966 before worrying too much about the future.
91d39fa3020f0fcebe2e481b4c97f564

http://www.gettorontomoving.ca/bloor-danforth-subway.html
And maybe the 1980 plan (well, maybe not the plan verbatim).
gotransit-2107-12.gif

Yep I'd agree.

I think the reason Skytrain comes up is because Skytrain is largely the scale that is needed in Toronto as well at least on lesser used lines.

Skytrain stations are usually pretty minimal, all of them are fully accessible but, no mezzanines or anything like that, not really any tiling either, very functional.

Likewise the Skytrain rolling stock is significantly smaller than the Toronto Subway stock but that means you can easily do single bore tunnels (ala Evergreen Line) and build guideways in the center of even moderately wide roads.
The thing is, the TTC had plans to convert the SRT to newer trains (Mark II). This was in 2006, until David Miller came around and forced everything to be LRT.
If this had become Mark II, the Eglinton would have been connected to it. 80-100m long stations would have 25k capacity - about right for these transit lines.
DRL would then have become SkyTrain, with maybe an extra car or 2 for 100-120m long stations and 30+k capacity.
The key is, that busy stations need to have 3 platforms. That way, a few stations cost a bit more, instead of everyone being more expensive by being longer.

Yep I'd agree.

I think the reason Skytrain comes up is because Skytrain is largely the scale that is needed in Toronto as well at least on lesser used lines.

Skytrain stations are usually pretty minimal, all of them are fully accessible but, no mezzanines or anything like that, not really any tiling either, very functional.

Likewise the Skytrain rolling stock is significantly smaller than the Toronto Subway stock but that means you can easily do single bore tunnels (ala Evergreen Line) and build guideways in the center of even moderately wide roads.
Bear in mind that to bore at 6 metre tunnel vs. a 7 is barely a saving. If you bore, bore large enough to accommodate upgrade later. Toronto always plans for yesterday it seems. So why do small bores and then be shid out of luck when the demand shows up later? It costs barely any more to bore a 6m tunnel vs a 6.5 m tunnel, or a 7m one if you want to accommodate LRT in the initial and perhaps later incantation?

The greatest impact engineering wise for a larger bore isn't cost, it's minimal radius for bends. (plus carriage length, shape and placement of the bogies)

Consider what Crossrail is to do with a 6.5m bore:
250M passengers per year. Crossrail has put in 12 car platforms, but will start with 9-10 car trains. Why looking so far forward? Crossrail head engineer: (gist) "Because once you've bored a tunnel that deep for a platform, it's a hundred times more difficult to extend it later".

Keep in mind:
[...]
More pertinent to our discussion, London has seen a surge in public transport use. Some of this could be explained away by other factors but the surge in core journeys to and from work by all forms of transport – public and private – has consistently defied any really plausible explanation other than that there were more people around. A notable feature of recent years has been a huge rise in public transport usage – notably on London Overground but also on Tramlink and other services. This was partly put down to a “improve the quality of service and the passengers will come” belief but even so the reality appears more and more to be that there is a latent demand that will seize any opportunity for new and better connections. It is very noticeable that much trumpeted improvements on the Underground, such as greater frequency of trains in the peak period, lead only to a very short term improvement before trains quickly fill up and the Tube remains just as crowded as before.

At many underground stations one is lucky to be able to board the third train that comes along in the peak period. From that it would seem clear that the latent demand is considerable but people are put off by the difficulty in making their journey. On that basis we are nowhere near to providing adequate transport services for a city that is so utterly dependent on public transport in its central area. The perception is that the Underground is just getting busier and busier. This perception is backed up by figures in the latest commissioner’s report which states:

A new non-Olympics daily record was set on Friday 6 December [2013] with 4.53 million [Underground] journeys made, which is only 14,000 fewer than the record set during the Games.​
So, by the time you read this the Underground may already be at is busiest ever and roughly 50% up on the figure of 3 million a day which was generally quoted for much of the late 20th century.

One of the frustrations for commuters is that they can see there is a problem today and they are savvy enough to realise that providing 12-car trains instead of 10-car on the National Rail network, increasing Thameslink from 16tph to 24tph (but a lot of them still 8-car) in the core section or upping the frequency on the Underground lines by a few tph are not going to solve the problems. All they do is buy us time. One can almost envisage Neville Chamberlain waving around his tablet computer showing the Tube Improvement Plan and reassuring us that all is well.
[...]
https://www.londonreconnections.com/2014/happens-crossrail-full-part-1-problem/

Sound familiar? Six car subway trains on the Relief Line are not going to 'cut it' when the line is extended north at both ends. The need is to *bypass* the present subway, not bolster it.

Building the Relief Line as a conventional subway is to live in the past, and piss through a straw for the future.

As that pertains to 'Skylink' or 'REM' shorter trains, unless you're able to lengthen them considerably in the future (and thus longer platforms) you could run them every 60 seconds, and still not have the capacity necessary to "relieve" the subway.

Metro vehicles, yes, but of sufficient length, frequency and capacity. Already REM is predicted to come up well short of replacing the capacity at peak for the EXO (ATM) trains on the Deux Montagnes line through the Mount Royal Tunnel.

Here's how Sydney is doing it, with virtually the same trains as REM:
1548643784739.png

There will be three doors per side per carriage and no internal doors between the carriages. In a 6-car configuration the trains will sit 378 people, with a total capacity of 1,100. Seating arrangements on the Alstom trains will be longitudinal, in accordance with the style of most other metro trains.
Sydney Metro - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Metro

Consider this: Build it to use two or three car RER EMUs to start, and then extend it up to a maximum length later (8 or so cars, the beauty of modern EMUs is you can couple and uncouple them in less than a minute) Stations can be built to that length (8 cars or so), but initially the platform be only finished for the distance needed, extended along the pre-built allowance later, like many cities already do. It's not rocket science. And yet again, the new 'standard' for vehicles outside of the TTC becomes universal and inter-operable. Other cities do it...why does Toronto have such an incredible mind block on doing what's proven elsewhere?

I don't see many....in fact, no...other cities looking to copy the TTC gauge. Why do you think that might be? It does keep invaders from commuting into the core...

Seriously though, as recently as thirty years ago, Toronto was a study in efficient transit. It's gone downhill since then...it's become a study of what not to do.

Last edited:
I really hope they don't terminate the DRL at Osgoode, why not at least take it to Spadina?
Much farther. It's got to continue all the way to the Georgetown Corridor and then north up to Bramalea as part of RER. It would be SO 'Toronto' to have yet another orphaned stub when it could be part of something much greater.

Last edited:
The key is, that busy stations need to have 3 platforms. That way, a few stations cost a bit more, instead of everyone being more expensive by being longer.
The huge advantage I see for this, even as we may disagree on the bulk and type of vehicle specifics? *Express by-pass!* This pertains no matter what the vehicle type is. It allows local and express through the same tunnel without requiring a third one a la New York Subway of Chicago's CTA. So I'd say four tracks, two with platforms on the outer side of the station box, and the express run through the centre. (edit: The option to stop would still be present if fast and local share two island platforms) Highly sophisticated CBTC signalling might allow for three tracks, but your concept is excellent, and I think REM is proposing exactly this for within the Mount Royal Tunnel to allow VIA HFR to 'run-through' w/o stopping at the (formerly proposed deep station mid-tunnel) until Gare Centrale.

Obviously it means holding the local for a few minutes at times at the platform for an express by-pass, but this is already done on some Japanese lines with just two tracks. Other cities are getting state of the art signalling systems that do wonders, including deducing optimal timing for express by-pass at stations. It's time to start building it into new projects like this. Yet another reason not to do this conventional Toronto subway. Moving Block it ain't.

The huge advantage I see for this, even as we may disagree on the bulk and type of vehicle specifics? *Express by-pass!* This pertains no matter what the vehicle type is. It allows local and express through the same tunnel without requiring a third one a la New York Subway of Chicago's CTA. So I'd say four tracks, two with platforms on the outer side of the station box, and the express run through the centre. (edit: The option to stop would still be present if fast and local share two island platforms) Highly sophisticated CBTC signalling might allow for three tracks, but your concept is excellent, and I think REM is proposing exactly this for within the Mount Royal Tunnel to allow VIA HFR to 'run-through' w/o stopping at the (formerly proposed deep station mid-tunnel) until Gare Centrale.

Obviously it means holding the local for a few minutes at times at the platform for an express by-pass, but this is already done on some Japanese lines with just two tracks. Other cities are getting state of the art signalling systems that do wonders, including deducing optimal timing for express by-pass at stations. It's time to start building it into new projects like this. Yet another reason not to do this conventional Toronto subway. Moving Block it ain't.

They should do this to the Yonge line. The DRL likely won't warrant it as much, but Yonge would.

They should do this to the Yonge line. The DRL likely won't warrant it as much, but Yonge would.
Yeah, it's really growing on me. There must be something on-line on this. It could never match discreet express tracks, but with state of the art signalling/ATO, it could come very close, so much so that it would be a huge improvement over the present.
I'll dig later on this...

Aie, three tracks - they're ok when your peak frequency isn't all that 'rapid' (i.e 5-6 minutes for express and 5-6 minutes for a stopper), but with higher frequencies on either track or both: where do the trains 'go' once they reach the end of the line? Yeah, they can be turned but the opposite track (2 in one direction, 1 in the opposite) will get overloaded/sending trains down the line full of hot air (and not passengers).

There are two three-track sections on our network, one of them is long-enough for an express train to sufficient bypass the stopping all stations line (but the frequency constraint is still in play), the other is bare minimum for overtaking. Worked a charm in the 70s/80s/90s and early 2000s when frequencies didnt change all that much, but when you want to run more trains, you hit a wall.

Full quadruplication should be the top priority (or a second track pair which takes a different/slightly different route with far less stops) if you want stoppers and express.

Back