Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

You were going so well until this last statement.
0% longer is same length.
100% longer is twice the length. (Thus 50% longer is 1.5X the length.)
150% longer is 2.5 X the length, or 250% of the length of Canada Line - as you said in the first line.
Damn, my enginerding english does it again.

Depends if you call a car with options "off the shelf" or you call it totally customised.

No, "off the shelf" suggests that it is something that is built in sufficient quantities and at a frequently enough to be able to order it at any time, without lengthy lead-times for re-eningeering the device or vehicle..

A bus is "off the shelf" because they build them all the time, and to largely the same basic design. Some of the specs may change somewhat, but by-and-large there is little engineering involved in that process when compared to the engineering involved in designing and building the vehicle.

There is no such thing as an "off the shelf" subway car because they aren't being made in those kinds of quantities or to that level of standardization. The closest that we've had here in North America is Budd's BURT car which was used in 2 or 3 different cities in the US.

Now what is becoming more common as the vehicles become more modularized is that vehicles may be built to a custom platform and envelope but using standardized or "off the shelf" components. This is certainly the case for the Bombardier Flexities being used on the Toronto streetcar network. While the vehicle is not truly "off the shelf", in theory it does make maintenance and support of the vehicle easier as parts should be easier to source. But that doesn't make the vehicle an "off the shelf" one, either.

Dan

That's why it's a reasonable idea to not have full height platform doors/walls.

Im sorry but this is false.

Its only necessary if the purpose of full height is to create a controlled environment on the platform. Full height can be done without needing a different airflow, its just often that they want it to be this way.

With an estimated average of 1 jumper per month on the ttc, we need full height screen doors.

I'm guessing doug Ford wants a sheppard west/east subway.

I think a sheppard subway from the airport in the west to the scarborough town centre in the east would be very useful. That could really offload the 401 and provide a relatively quick way across the city via transit. Who cares what Doug Ford thinks. The Crosstown will not be quick at all, but a subway with stations a mile apart could really compete with driving, and certainly will be faster than rush hour traffic on the highway.

I think a sheppard subway from the airport in the west to the scarborough town centre in the east would be very useful. That could really offload the 401 and provide a relatively quick way across the city via transit. Who cares what Doug Ford thinks. The Crosstown will not be quick at all, but a subway with stations a mile apart could really compete with driving, and certainly will be faster than rush hour traffic on the highway.

Doug should be the one advocating for it seeing a Sheppard Subway will cross all of his ridings in the 416

Full height doors for all downtown stations, and 5-to-6-foot-height doors for suburban stations.

Some ceilings are very high. The very high non-full-height doors are still quite high and extremely difficult to climb quickly successfully on first attempt with lack of good grips, so would still be very effective while costing much less especially for the higher ceiling locations.

Full height doors for all downtown stations, and 5-to-6-foot-height doors for suburban stations.

Some ceilings are very high. The very high non-full-height doors are still quite high and extremely difficult to climb quickly successfully on first attempt with lack of good grips, so would still be very effective while costing much less especially for the higher ceiling locations.
Would anyone climb a 5 or 6 foot wall to commit suicide?
If we worry about this, then I suppose the fences along the open parts of the subway (Rosedale, Davisville, Warden, Kipling, Glencairn) would have to be fully enclosed.

If we worry about this, then I suppose the fences along the open parts of the subway (Rosedale, Davisville, Warden, Kipling, Glencairn) would have to be fully enclosed.
I have had a friend who took his life so I can relate -- that said I also believe there's a point where it starts to be >99% as effective as full height. Beyond a specific height, it becomes statistically as good as full height, the lack of grips makes it hard to time a suicide into the front of a train (and without getting caught) due to the effort required to climb a slippery glass wall that's above head level, especially in well-manned stations. It makes one think multiple times before following through. There are easier ways to take one's life, once a platform door is beyond a specific height (or thereabouts). Perhaps it's 6 foot, 7 foot or 8 foot -- but at some point, it begins to become statistically as good as full height. One contemplating an end in front of a platform door taller than head height, would tend to prefer to discreetly exit to the service exits at the end of platform, and enter the tracks that way instead, etc, but would have plenty more time to reconsider, and walk past the blue-button hotlines, signage, or exit station, etc.

In other stations I have visited -- Washington DC Metro as one example -- there's lots more ceiling above the train, so platform doors would have to be 20+ feet tall!!! (in certain stations)

6 foot has often been a standard -- here's an example. There's also taller options too. Taiwan Metro, photo taken by me.

Last edited:
In other stations I have visited -- Washington DC Metro as one example -- there's lots more ceiling above the train, so platform doors would have to be 20+ feet tall!!! (in certain stations)

6 foot has often been a standard -- here's an example. There's also taller options too. Taiwan Metro, photo taken by me.

View attachment 212642

The platform edge doors don't need to get to the ceiling. They can just enclose the top of the train with the door to create a 'tube' for the trains.
The Taiwan example seems high enough regardless. Who can climb that quickly without anyone noticing?

I had 2 Japanese friends that jumped the Platform edge doors and killed themselves. People will do so if they are determined enough. The barriers were between 4 and 5 feet though.

I had 2 Japanese friends that jumped the Platform edge doors and killed themselves. People will do so if they are determined enough. The barriers were between 4 and 5 feet though.
Sometimes it’s all about making it inconvenient enough that most people will get scared or waver during the brief moment when they’re exerting themselves, or staring at the task before them.

Back