Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I kind of jumped the gun and wrote a complaint to my councillor. Am I just setting myself up for disappointment?

You have to do something if you recognize an area that needs improvement. I am also going to send a letter. That's the necessary first step. The TTC commissioners would probably be the right people to also voice concerns to.

As an experiment, I've decided to send another letter to the MPP of my area. Now the waiting begins while their assistants put together a response on their behalf.

TTC to unplug Bloor station bottleneck

See The Star article at this link:

TTC to unplug Bloor station bottleneck

November 07, 2009

Tess Kalinowski

It could be called the sardine station.

That's why the TTC is launching an experiment later this month to try to relieve the crowding and train delays at Bloor, the system's most notorious bottleneck, where about 200,000 people jockey for elbow room every day.

The idea is to move passengers farther along the southbound platform so trains can load and move out more quickly.

"It's really about passenger flow, trying to eliminate that bottleneck at the north side of the southbound platform and reduce the times the train sits at the platform," said TTC spokesman Brad Ross.

If the experiment works in shaving seconds off what's called "dwell time" – the period a train spends in the station – the TTC could move another train or two up the Yonge-University line every hour.

That would mean at least 1,200 people getting to work sooner.

So, starting Nov. 23, between 7 a.m. and 10 a.m., the TTC will be using a combination of stanchions to control the flow of passengers and staff to urge riders south along the platform. Staff stationed at subway doors will encourage riders to wait and step back from the yellow line instead of rushing the train so it can move off faster.

Bloor Station was designed in such a way that people coming off the Bloor-Danforth line or down from the concourse tend to congregate at the north end of the platform, said Ross.

"A lot of it is going to be about educating our customers as to why (moving farther down) will speed up your ride," he said.

The dwell time for trains at Bloor is about 55 seconds. The goal is to reduce that to 30 to 45 seconds, for the 20 or so trains that move through during a typical rush hour.

The line should also see some relief when the new Toronto Rocket trains are introduced next year. Those trains are expected to add 10 per cent capacity to the Yonge-University line.

The idea of turning employees into human screen doors, making sure riders don't block the entrances to the trains, might cost about $1.5 million annually or about $30 million over 20 years.

"To buy a 5 per cent capacity increase on the Yonge-University-Spadina line – that's a bargain," said TTC chair Adam Giambrone.

Another reason for a Downtown Relief Line BEFORE extending the Yonge subway north.

Hope they don't end up as pushers to get the people into the train.

They think the TRs will magically solve all problems. That's why they aren't making the DRL a priority.

TTC is now run by bunch of monkeys who don't know what to do with money; they have stupid plans to tweak the service. They always make the excuse that the government is not giving money, when they don't even have their own action plans!

TTC is now run by bunch of monkeys who don't know what to do with money; they have stupid plans to tweak the service. They always make the excuse that the government is not giving money, when they don't even have their own action plans!

This sort of statement annoys me for its sillyness.

By all means disagree with TTC plans and management style, in many threads on here you will find me doing just that.

But to suggest they've done nothing or plan to do nothing betrays a complete ignorance of what is going on and has gone on.

Now, I fully understand not everyone takes the time to read budgets or service plans, but if you don't, please refrain from silly posts.

I won't begin to seriously summarize everything underway or planned. But let's take a tiny peak.

Recent Past:

TTC has increased service hours on almost every route
TTC is now running more service than at anytime in the last 10 years
TTC ramped up service last year by more in one single improvement than at any time, EVER.

TTC HAS ordered new trains sufficient to replace almost 1/3 of all the rolling stock on the system.

TTC HAS ordered a 100% replacement of the streetcar fleet with low-floor, A/C cars.

TTC HAS proceeded with major renovations to 4 stations (Kipling, Vic. Park, Dufferin, and Pape).

TTC HAS initiatives to improve cleanliness has a 1/2 dozen experiments underway with new finishes for ceilings and walls to assist with this.

TTC IS building the Spadina Subway extension

TTC IS moving ahead with not 1, not 2, but at LEAST 4 new LRT lines, probably more.

TTC has approved moving ahead with 2 major service increases over the next 3 years (the 10min network and min. 20min service all-day, all routes)

Are some of their ideas daft...sure.....are some not executed up to a proper UT standard, definitely......but they are doing alot more than tweaking.

This sort of statement annoys me for its sillyness.

By all means disagree with TTC plans and management style, in many threads on here you will find me doing just that.

But to suggest they've done nothing or plan to do nothing betrays a complete ignorance of what is going on and has gone on.

Now, I fully understand not everyone takes the time to read budgets or service plans, but if you don't, please refrain from silly posts.

I won't begin to seriously summarize everything underway or planned. But let's take a tiny peak.

Recent Past:

TTC ramped up service last year by more in one single improvement than at any time, EVER.

TTC HAS ordered new trains sufficient to replace almost 1/3 of all the rolling stock on the system.

TTC HAS ordered a 100% replacement of the streetcar fleet with low-floor, A/C cars.

TTC HAS proceeded with major renovations to 4 stations (Kipling, Vic. Park, Dufferin, and Pape).

TTC HAS initiatives to improve cleanliness has a 1/2 dozen experiments underway with new finishes for ceilings and walls to assist with this.

TTC IS building the Spadina Subway extension

TTC IS moving ahead with not 1, not 2, but at LEAST 4 new LRT lines, probably more.

TTC has approved moving ahead with 2 major service increases over the next 3 years (the 10min network and min. 20min service all-day, all routes)

Are some of their ideas daft...sure.....are some not executed up to a proper UT standard, definitely......but they are doing alot more than tweaking.

Yes you are right about the future plans for TTC, how silly of me...
- TTC will launch its new subway stocks into service (replacing 1/3) by end of 2009 and all stocks will be replaced by 2011...
- TTC will order new streetcars to replace its aging fleet by 2011...
- TTC is moving ahead with 4 out of 7 LRT lines...

But these improvements are the only immediate changes in short future...

Spadina/Yonge Extension is acceptable, but it will only be consequential in the long term. Granted, more passenger ridership increases and increased coverage, but at a higher costs to run the service from Vaughan to Richmond Hill. That is more free rides for York region passengers at an expense of T.O. (unless new fare system is implemented). And these areas are not heavily intensified! They are only cookie-cutter suburbs like Markham. On the other hand, no extension of Bloor/Danforth to Mississauga, 6th largest city in Canada? Makes no sense to extend subways all the way to York but not to Sauga! It makes sense to limit the expansion to Steeles West and Steels though; these projects should not be made without York Region's expenses too as well as its passengers!

That is the little thing to complain though; major renovation to only four out of how many stations? Dissapointing but acceptable, considering TTC is slowly embracing to the proper plan.

TTC ramped up service last year by more in one single improvement than at any time, EVER. - Can you elaborate on that please? Any evidence? Specific examples?

Increased frequencies on bus routes seems ideal, but only around Scarborugh and Etobicoke only. As for downtown, midtown and North York? IT DOES NOTHING BUT ADD TRAFFIC CONGESTIONS! Why is the money not spent on articulated buses instead? more capacity @ a cost of less fuel and less empty buses!

Oh don't forget,

What is with the Bloor/Yonge passenger control? Using staffs as "barriers" to control the flow? This is inexcusable! NO DRL? That is one of the most important thing TTC needs right now!

And worst of all,
The entire Transit City is to be completed in the next 15 years at $17.5 Billion? That is absurd! GO transit's future projects are more likely to be completed than the entire Trans-hype City!

Not all of them doesn't justify how services are being adjusted to match everyone's convenience. Although construction do promises many, it is taking too long to be realized.

Aside from announcing plans to renew the fleet and Trans-hype City plans, nothing remarkable is done to revolutionize the transit system by a big shot.

Spadina/Yonge Extension is acceptable, but it will only be consequential in the long term. Granted, more passenger ridership increases and increased coverage, but at a higher costs to run the service from Vaughan to Richmond Hill. That is more free rides for York region passengers at an expense of T.O. (unless new fare system is implemented). And these areas are not heavily intensified! They are only cookie-cutter suburbs like Markham. On the other hand, no extension of Bloor/Danforth to Mississauga, 6th largest city in Canada? Makes no sense to extend subways all the way to York but not to Sauga! It makes sense to limit the expansion to Steeles West and Steels though; these projects should not be made without York Region's expenses too as well as its passengers!
Ok, I can agree that the Spadina extension is not needed terribly quickly past York U. But I can't agree about the Yonge Extension.
First of all, I don't get how York Region passengers would be getting a "Free ride." We'd be having to pay to get on the subway while in our own region north of Steeles, even if we're still getting off north of Steeles. Toronto will be getting fares from riders flocking onto the subway, but they won't have to pay for the bus service to bring riders to the subway, which is currently their major expense. If riders suddenly appeared at the YUS and B-D stations, the TTC would be in barrels of cash. And this is basically what the extensions will do. A body totally separate form the TTC will be paying to ship passengers to the TTC, where the TTC will take the fare from them and be off on their merry way.

"Cookie Cutter Suburb" is one of the last things I'd call Thornhill. Not only has it got lots of density and ridership, it's also got massive, massive development plans all the way up from Steeles to Major Mac, which will be starting construction quite soon. I don't really know what else to say to that comment other than that it's totally false.

Yes you are right about the future plans for TTC, how silly of me...
An interesting choice of words.
- TTC will launch its new subway stocks into service (replacing 1/3) by end of 2009
No ... no new trains are due in service in 2009.
and all stocks will be replaced by 2011...
No ... by 2011 they will have purchased 39 new 6-car trains. They currently have (the equivalent) of 113 6-car trains. They will dispose of 30 6-car trains, going to a total of 122 6-car trains. Essentially they are replacing less than 1/4 of their trains by end of 2011. There is talk of replacing another 21 trains after 2011, but nothing is finalized. There are no plans to replace the remaining 62 trains (55% of the fleet) that are only 8 to 14 years old.

- TTC will order new streetcars to replace its aging fleet by 2011...
No ... replacements have already been ordered for all aging streetcars.
- TTC is moving ahead with 4 out of 7 LRT lines...
No, TTC isn't moving on Scarborough-Malvern, Don Mills, Jane, or Waterfront West.

But these improvements are the only immediate changes in short future...
No, the Spadina extension is well underway, and is scheduled to be complete in 2015. The Union subway station second platform should be tendered within a month or two, with construction starting next year.

I'm not sure there is anything you've said that is factually correct ...

Last edited:
Well, forgive me for some outdated "updates", I didn't know much has changed in York Region. I guess it really doesn't matter wherever TTC wants its subways to wherever in York Region, it becomes a cash cow.

I am wrong about some of the claims I made for TTC, but it is worse than expected.
No new trains in service until 2011? links please?
Transit City is slower than expected...
Ok I am wrong about streetcar orders, but when will be in service? Not likely this year or next. Yes I knew I made a mistake about Spadina, but I neglectd it as it seems to be less important than Yonge extension. Nonetheless, thanks for correction.:eek:

Well, forgive me for some outdated "updates"
I really have to wonder what rock you've been living under to have not heard about all the streetcars being replaced ... given the amount of media coverage about that drama! Have you been abroard?

No new trains in service until 2011?
I didn't say that. I said no new trains in service in 2009 ... which shouldn't be a shocker given there's about 7 weeks left, and not even a test unit has arrived yet. They should start going in service in 2010.

I really have to wonder what rock you've been living under to have not heard about all the streetcars being replaced ... given the amount of media coverage about that drama! Have you been abroard?

Away from NYCC, yes. In fact, it is first time for me hearing the news about new streetcar services! I don't know too much North Toronto very well either, apart from subway closures in late night.

I didn't say that. I said no new trains in service in 2009 ... which shouldn't be a shocker given there's about 7 weeks left, and not even a test unit has arrived yet. They should start going in service in 2010.

There hasn't been reports about new stocks so far, it is just a rumour. New stock in service in 7 weeks? I will believe it when I hear it first.

Back