Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I feel like just mentioning that could hint ford at privatization, because the MTR, Tokyo Metro, and JR East are all private companies (you don't see many if any Toei lines having giant malls and such, maybe the occasional PATH-like system in Shinjuku or Downtown, but nothing that large).

Regardless, I don't think the TTC has the time, experiences, or resources to manage property and the TTC at once. We barely get enough money to pay for the existing system. How are we going to get another 5 billion for a few condos and office towers?

MTR was involved in property development long before it was "privatized" - and even today, the HK govt owns about 3/4 of the shares. By that definition, it is less private than Hydro One - and it really is like a "quasi-private" corporation - particularly when it comes to dealings with the government. Also, the halo of the org has tarnished a little of late given how some high profile projects has experienced delays and construction scandals (sic Shatin-Central Link).

Also the nature of property development for MTR projects tend to be hugely different from the Toronto context - the former tend to involve the creation of very large sites as part of some larger infrastructural development - land that otherwise would not have existed or would have belonged to the government in a land-starved city-state. You probably won't find the same level of benefit in the Toronto context.

Totally agree with the lack of TTC expertise in property development though - and I can just imagine the horror of the councilor-commissioners messing around that pie.

AoD

Last edited:
Maybe if the subway system was uploaded then the city could just focus on LRTS being installed on major roads.
The Liberals already uploaded Line 5, 6, and 7. And presumably the 2012 deal included Line 3 if that was going to be converted to LRT.

Surely this was the basis for the Liberal proposal to upload the subway system (Line 1, 2, and 4) infrastructure, that Doug Ford has (unknowingly?) let the Ministry continue.

In this climate, Tory announcing anything meaningful without Ford or even Yurek being there to take full credit is a true nonstarter.

Does anyone think Tory would actually burn these guys? Or go his own way?

Tory may have an alternate plan, on a napkin. Maybe some guy named Musk will come along.

- Paul

In this climate, Tory announcing anything meaningful without Ford or even Yurek being there to take full credit is a true nonstarter.

Does anyone think Tory would actually burn these guys? Or go his own way?

Tory may have an alternate plan, on a napkin. Maybe some guy named Musk will come along.

- Paul

Travis (the guy doing the tweet) is Global's QP bureau chief. So wouldn't be surprised if Yurek will be in attendance and was the one who gave him the drop on this announcement. And even today Travis had an interview with Verster (where claims were made that Metrolinx will now be run like a business and fare integration won't cost the government any money...hm).

Hard not to think about the new Oriole station coming out of the blue. Pessimist in me would say the new business-minded Metrolinx found a cheap relief line using Oriole, Tory's on board. It's SmartTrack II: The Smartening.

Anything is possible, but if this goes ahead, there would likely be Federal money.......and I haven't heard anything ......nor provincial...........but hey sometimes these things get past me..... LOL

I would love a full funding commitment.

I'm expecting something less substantial.

I would be very pleased to be pleasantly surprised.

Hey, that's actually gutsy. "Sure you can upload, but we can do it faster"

Wasn't there a song....."Anything you can do, I can do better"...

Whether the details are valid or not, the idea of putting a spotlight on the Relief Line's completion clock is a very good development.

Let's see what Doug counters.

- Paul

Ding ding ding, we have a winner

$162 Million to accelerate DRL by 2 yrs

Sounds nice.........even if the base funding to go ahead w/the project in the first place isn't yet announced............

But..........

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/tory-ann...relief-line-construction-by-2-years-1.4257354

Accelerated to completion by 2031! I didn't think it would be any later than that.

Was 2033 previously announced as an in-service date?

Considering design should be at the tender-ready stage by 2020, I would have hoped for acceleration being in the 2020's

Sounds nice.........even if the base funding to go ahead w/the project in the first place isn't yet announced............

But..........

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/tory-ann...relief-line-construction-by-2-years-1.4257354

Accelerated to completion by 2031! I didn't think it would be any later than that.

Was 2033 previously announced as an in-service date?

Considering design should be at the tender-ready stage by 2020, I would have hoped for acceleration being in the 2020's

I believe it’s been accelerated from 2031 to 2029. That’s what I saw on CP24

Back