Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Please explain. I've taken that line up to Finch West a few times recently and the constant delays between Yorkdale and Sheppard West have baffled me. Is this what you are talking about?

Yes, that's it. In my experience, the delays can kick as early as St. Clair West.

Please explain. I've taken that line up to Finch West a few times recently and the constant delays between Yorkdale and Sheppard West have baffled me. Is this what you are talking about?

I've posted it elsewhere on here, but the Coles Notes version is that the delays are caused by the TTC (and more specifically, the head of subway operations) deciding to run trains out of service northbound.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I've posted it elsewhere on here, but the Coles Notes version is that the delays are caused by the TTC (and more specifically, the head of subway operations) deciding to run trains out of service northbound.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
To save a bit of money?

Here's Relief Line Horizontal and Vertical Alignment-Draft Drawings PDF uploaded.

I combined the sections (lower quality though):
dOB4ELp.jpg

Attachments

• Relief Line Horizontal and Vertical Alignment-Draft.pdf
    6.5 MB · Views: 417
Last edited:
Here's Relief Line Horizontal and Vertical Alignment-Draft Drawings PDF uploaded.
After looking at those draft drawings we can officially confirm that there is absolutely nothing preventing them from shifting the Queen-Yonge station over to be centered with the Yogne line, and the Queen-Osgoode station from be centered with the University line but yet planning still went with the worst station box placement possible. Heck in the case of Queen-Yonge, they are making things more difficult for themselves since the Enwave tunnels are right next door. To be frank that's an absolute boneheaded, and ridiculous decision and shows that they were not thinking at all here.

Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 5.20.27 PM.png

Under the don river, it seems as if they're not boring into the bedrock. Since this is the case, why is this line so deep?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 5.20.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 5.20.27 PM.png
    205.8 KB · Views: 364

Well now we see the reason why Pape Station is on the north side of Danforth. Immediately, south of Pape, there is a steep 3.36% change in grade, where a station would not be suitable.

Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 5.30.17 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 5.30.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 5.30.17 PM.png
    372.4 KB · Views: 394
Those PDF's are what the new contracts are refining - thats why they all say Draft. They may very well move, Also, track level looks to be a pretty steady 25 to 30 meters deep, and I wonder why the ROW narrows substantially after University heading west.

I note that the "Murray Alignment" for the D-B subway extension had curves of 300m radius and grades of 3.5%. TTC said those were excessive.

Here I see a radius of 306.8m and a grade of 3.36%. Are those really that different, or was TTC lying about the B-D extension?

Under the don river, it seems as if they're not boring into the bedrock. Since this is the case, why is this line so deep?
The culprit seems to be Carlaw Station (and Gerrard). Getting under the sewers there means the line must go over 30m deep. This has a huge spillover effect and forces everything lower. Both the tight radius and steep grades are also related to this fact. I wonder if Pape alignment would have yielded different results?

Last edited:
So there are no plans to go west of Yonge?

The priorities are, in order:
1. Relieve Yonge and Bloor Stations, as well as the East Downtown subway lines (Union-Bloor of the Yonge line, Bloor line from Bloor Yonge to Broadview)
2. Relieve the downtown streetcar network, particularly the King streetcar
3. Relieve the Yonge line in its entirety, allowing for future extensions of that line
4. Bring development east of downtown and yonge street in general
5. Relieving St George & spadina stations, as well as the west downtown subway lines (University Line, Bloor Line from Dundas West to Bay)
6. Relieving the 501, 504, 510, 511, 505 in areas where crowding isn't a huge issue.

As you can see, priorities 1, 2 and part of 4 are taken care of by Relief line East. 3 & 4 are from relief line north, and 5 & 6 are relief line west. All in all, the priorities of the ttc are being addressed by building relief line south first, followed by relief line north and, if demand is ever reached, relief line west.

Back