Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Using that definition, the central part of the Edmonton LRT and the northern part of the Buffalo MetroRail are "subways."

However, neither Edmontonians nor Buffalonians call the underground portion of their LRT lines "subways."
Which was exactly my point.
"Subway" = sub- + way, as in subterranean and route.

However, it is referred to by some as a "subway" in Edmonton:
[/quote]
5 places you can get to on the Edmonton subway (LRT) :: UAlberta ...
www.uofainsideout.ca/news/a5-places-you-can-get-to-on-the-edmonton-subway-lrt/
5 places you can get to on the Edmonton subway (LRT). 28/04/2015 10:29. The subway in Edmonton is called the “LRT,” which stands for “Light Rail Transit.
Images for "edmonton subway"
More images for "edmonton subway"Edmonton Light Rail Subway - Subways.net[/paste:font]
www.subways.net/canada/edmonton.htm
Edmonton Edmonton is home to a two line LRT and a heritage tramway run by the Edmonton Radial Railway Society. The tramway, opened in 1984, runs ...
Edmonton subway - YouTube
▶ 0:45
Aug 16, 2014 - Uploaded by Dennis Shupta
EDMONTON LRT. Trains at Churchill Station. Sept. 2013 - Duration: 9:21. minion986 9,706 views · 9:21 ... [/quote]
And Buffalo:
UrbanRail.Net > North America > USA > New York > Buffalo Subway
www.urbanrail.net/am/buff/buffalo.htm
Buffalo has a population of 292,000 in the city itself and about 1.1 million in the region. The line is 10.6 km long, with 1.9 km at grade along a pedestrian mall in ...
The Buffalo "Subway" - YouTube
▶ 1:08
Aug 29, 2012 - Uploaded by SaturnEternity
The Buffalo Metro Rail. An outbound train arrives at Utica Station. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Metro_Rail.
Buffalo subway
subway.buffalonet.org/
It's back ladies and gentlemen, the web site that the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority deemed too offensive for public viewing. The web site, they said, ...
Think Twice: Buffalo Metro Rail – Buffalo Rising
https://www.buffalorising.com › Articles › Metro
Jun 9, 2009 - The NFTA Buffalo Metro Rail opened in 1986 as a single light-rail line, covering just 6.4 miles in length along the Main Street corridor. The line ...
world.nycsubway.org: Buffalo, New York
www.nycsubway.org › United States
Overview. Through the first half of the 20th Century, Buffalo was a major industrial and transportation center and a gateway to the Midwest. It boasted an ...
Subway - Visit Buffalo Niagara
www.visitbuffaloniagara.com › Eat & Drink › Best Restaurants in Buffalo
Address. 120 W.Chippewa Street Buffalo, NY 14202 (716) 856-0194. Cuisine Type. Delis. Hours. Mon: 8am - 8pm. Tue: 8am - 8pm. Wed: 8am - 8pm. Thu: 8am - ...
Underground Art on Buffalo's Subway - Visit Buffalo Niagara
www.visitbuffaloniagara.com › Blog › Art
Jun 3, 2015 - Well, Explore Buffalo is changing it up, offering a recurring tour of the public art inside the stations along Buffalo's subway line. Ticket in hand ...
FLAWS FOUND IN NEW BUFFALO SUBWAY - NYTimes.com
www.nytimes.com/1983/10/27/nyregion/flaws-found-in-new-buffalo-subway.html
Oct 27, 1983 - A $530 million mass-transit rail system being built in Buffalo has serious engineering and construction defects, the State Commissioner of ...

Last edited:
Who remembers Jean Drapeau?

"The Montreal Olympics can no more have a deficit, than a man can have a baby," he said, a prediction that would haunt him, as construction costs ballooned and sent the final price tag into the stratosphere.

"The Montreal Olympics can no more have a deficit, than a man can have a baby," he said, a prediction that would haunt him, as construction costs ballooned and sent the final price tag into the stratosphere.

Of course, because of the terrorists at the 1972 Munich Olympics, they had the additional costs of way more security than originally planned added on for the 1976 Montreal Olympics.

Haunt him? He got it done. That's how you get stuff done. He always got it down. He's responsible for every single metro station in Montreal, and the south shore. He was responsible for the Olympics. He got them the Expos baseball. He was responsible for Expo 67. He was mayor for the best part of 30 years, navigating the Great Darkness by the Conservatives, the quiet revolution, martial law, and the politics of separation - and did so by keeping Montreal out of the equation.

What has Montreal accomplished in the 30 years since Drapeau? Some bike lanes. Sewage treatment. At least the Expos made 3 post-season appearances ... oh wait.

Drapeau got things done. Another 30 years of Drapeau, and Montreal would have had a Metro system that would have completely shamed us. If we had a Drapeau, we wouldn't be in the dire transportation shape we are today. We certainly would have had a relief line by now.

Of course, because of the terrorists at the 1972 Munich Olympics, they had the additional costs of way more security than originally planned added on for the 1976 Montreal Olympics.
Most of which was simply paid for by the various governments who employed the military, RCMP, police, etc., so didn't contribute to the deficit. The additional security on top of that was a whopping $1.2 million. The deficit was almost $1 billion (in 1977 $).

It may well have increased government costs, but it did not contribute to the Olympic deficit.

If the Olympics has paid the various government for security, it would have increased the deficit from $0.99 billion to $1.17 billion (though that also includes other government costs such as postal services, improvements to Kingston Harbour, land purchases, landscaping, cleaning, air-traffic control, $25 million for host broadcasting costs, $1 million for artists/craftsmen, liquor, etc.). Clearly security wasn't a significant contributor to the costs, and was not part of the deficit.

It only takes a glance at the numbers, to see that the escalation of facility costs from $250 million at the end of 1972 to $1.179 billion at the time of the games (and that doesn't include the $700 million to complete and repair the stadium after the games - recall construction wasn't completed until 1987).

Had they kept to budget on just the buildings, and all else been the same, the deficit would have been $61 million instead of $1 billion.

I think we are way, way off topic from the current DRL proposal.
Oops ... perhaps I should have read that post half-an-hour earlier. Though not completely - Drapeau got stuff done. And he might have had to tell a lie or two to do it. But imagine the subway this city would have had, if we'd had a Drapeau in power from 1980 to 2010!

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...queens-park-on-transit-and-housing-funds.html

....“The problem is that as the federal government comes in the front door, it would seem the government of Ontario is trying to scuttle out the side door,”.....

....Tory said he wants to see this “40-40-20” formula for big ticket Toronto transit projects like the downtown relief line, Eglinton East LRT and Waterfront network. The city expects to get some $5 billion from the federal government to build new transit in the coming years, and Tory essentially wants Queen’s Park to match this.

^here is hoping. Would be nice after 7 years on this board talking about this thing for it to finally at least get funding.
But why would the minister of york south weston be there? Why not the MPP or MP of the area that Queen St is in if it was about the DRL?

Wonder if this is about SmartTrack rather than the Relief Line?

- Paul
I guess then it makes sense for York South Weston MP to be there since Weston and eglinton will get a stop on SmarTrack or so i have read. But has del duca not already made this announcement about SmartTrack? Is this all he does? Make announcements and keep making people think they are all new announcements instead of recycled announcements

Wonder if this is about SmartTrack rather than the Relief Line?

The York South—Weston rep is a curve ball. I can't think of any major project there that's also relevant at Queen. Of course, I also usually think too big.

Maybe something Presto related that impacts TTC and UPX and is somehow significant to the Eaton Center? Additional retail locations seems small for Tory but IIRC there is a Shoppers near that subway entrance. Maybe Shoppers will be selling TTC/GO/UPX monthly passes in addition to the cards?

Last edited:
I guess then it makes sense for York South Weston MP to be there since Weston and eglinton will get a stop on SmarTrack or so i have read. But has del duca not already made this announcement about SmartTrack? Is this all he does? Make announcements and keep making people think they are all new announcements instead of recycled announcements

Is there an emoji for "Sarcastically feigning shock and surprise"? Yeah, that's exactly what Del Duca amounts to.

I will admit I too overthink these things. Even bothering to speculate instead of just waiting the 24 hours to find out is a bit pointless, but I can't resist.

The Federal Minister is not the one they would send to a major funding commitment. Del Duca has been Wynne's stand-in for other things when she can't stand coming face to face with Tory. Queen is so close to City Hall that maybe its significance is simply that Tory is pressed for time or won't wait around. The MPP is a clue, but overall it sounds more like they will announce that the Crosstown Maintenance Facility will be named in honour of some prominent citizen, or something equally trivial. I wondered about ST mostly because it is so up in the air that any number of lesser points could have been worked out, and the MPP fits - but one would think that anything major would have been announced closer to the community affected.

- Paul

Back