Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

^ It looks like Metrolinx is more interested in fixing the cross-border double-fare issue at this time.

A proper integration between TTC and GO / RER would bring a lot of benefits, but the limited rail capacity remains an obstacle.

You're expecting a lot from Metrolinx's fare integration plans. I expect that you'll be disappointed. Never mind that RER can't match the capacity or frequency of a subway.
I am not going to ride a subway to Dundas West to switch to a RER train to get to Eglinton. This is delusional. I want a one train 'subway-style' ride from downtown to Eglinton.

I am not going to ride a subway to Dundas West to switch to a RER train to get to Eglinton. This is delusional. I want a one train 'subway-style' ride from downtown to Eglinton.

It might not be delusional if it is frequent - like every 5 minutes. That's not going to be the case.

AoD

There would be 2 RER routes heading downtown at that point, and a Parkdale station would have 3.
Are we forgetting that a policy objective is to reduce car use to mitigate climate change? If we want to reduce auto usage by 50% that is going to require about a 300% increase in (heavy rail) rapid transit in this region or else the entire goal of getting people out of cars should be shelved. I am not the world's biggest climate change advocate, but I am a strong believer in not having 'delusional - nice to say' but not really achievable public policy goals. If we are supposed to be out of our cars, some will bike, but the rest of us will be on rails of some sort. Either because we are old - or young or never going to bike in the winter (Moi!) I hate pie-in-the-sky policy goals.

It depends on where exactly they are going, as well as time of the day (how crowded the streetcar is, and how congested the roads are).

Many will transfer, especially at Queen & Broadview. But, quite a few will stay on the streetcar. The streetcar has more stops that may be closer to the person's destination, and it does not divert from Queen.

The transfer here is ok but somehow the (forced) transfer at Kennedy is not

Dufferin too close to university? Your kidding!

The same way the University Line doesn't follow a grid path north of Dupont, neither should the DRL stick rigidly to one corridor its own length.

The beauty of the Keele alignment is that it allows us to veer into the Georgetown corridor north of St Clair, which thus grants planners the opportunity to route a subway out to northwest Etobicoke. A diagonal subway penetrates more neighbourhoods (Parkdale-High Park, Junction, Silverthorn, Mt Dennis, Weston, Rexdale) than going up a straight path with narrower catchments.

The same way the University Line doesn't follow a grid path north of Dupont, neither should the DRL stick rigidly to one corridor its own length.

The beauty of the Keele alignment is that it allows us to veer into the Georgetown corridor north of St Clair, which thus grants planners the opportunity to route a subway out to northwest Etobicoke. A diagonal subway penetrates more neighbourhoods (Parkdale-High Park, Junction, Silverthorn, Mt Dennis, Weston, Rexdale) than going up a straight path with narrower catchments.

The Rexdale area could already be serviced with RER. Quite a bit of service duplication by also building a subway in the same corridor.

Keele. No way to Dufferin. Too close to University.
It begs the question though, what to do with Dufferin?

The bus route has 44,000 daily riders and this is before massive development along the corridor. We are already using articulated buses. There is no room on the street for BRT or LRT. @Cobra correctly pointed out that this corridor's ridership necessitates a rapid transit upgrade.

The University Line will need relief at some point too with the time scales we are discussing at. (It will be approaching present Yonge subway levels by the time DRL-Long is ideally completed.)

The University Line travels northwest from Downtown. Approaching Eglinton, Dufferin and University Line get really close.

Only once you reach Eglinton. The hypothetical Dufferin Line doesn't need to go past Eglinton.

Only once you reach Eglinton. The hypothetical Dufferin Line doesn't need to go past Eglinton.

Yeah. And in case it eventually goes past Eglinton, it does not need to follow Dufferin but may veer north-west to serve more areas. It might even join the Weston rail corridor at some point, assuming it still has room for 2 more tracks.

Dufferin through downtown, up to Eglinton or at least up to St Clair, is not a bad idea.

It begs the question though, what to do with Dufferin?

The bus route has 44,000 daily riders and this is before massive development along the corridor. We are already using articulated buses. There is no room on the street for BRT or LRT. @Cobra correctly pointed out that this corridor's ridership necessitates a rapid transit upgrade.

The University Line will need relief at some point too with the time scales we are discussing at. (It will be approaching present Yonge subway levels by the time DRL-Long is ideally completed.)

I think a separate subway may need to happen here. I think the cost of a streetcar or LRT will be too much once you take into account the road widening.

Back