Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Sounds like the feds got their priorities straight, on Toronto subways. And it ain't April's Fools.

Plink, plink. (cue sound of a few pennies)

upload_2016-8-23_12-35-42.png

Ka-ching, ka-ching. (cue rustling of paper money & smell of fresh stacks of bills)

upload_2016-8-23_12-36-2.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-8-23_12-35-42.png
    upload_2016-8-23_12-35-42.png
    11 KB · Views: 1,035
  • upload_2016-8-23_12-36-2.png
    upload_2016-8-23_12-36-2.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 1,027
Sounds like the feds got their priorities straight, on Toronto subways. And it ain't April's Fools.

Plink, plink. (cue sound of a few pennies)

Ka-ching, ka-ching. (cue the smell of fresh stack of bills)

Keesmaat already sort of responded:

jennifer keesmaat ‏@jen_keesmaat 10m10 minutes ago
jennifer keesmaat Retweeted David Hunter

Scarborough subway planning is farther advanced. It's been underway for 3 years. Eg West + East LRT new this year.

jennifer keesmaat added,

David Hunter @DivadRetnuh
@jen_keesmaat Only $125,000 for Scarb subway planning and design? 3.5 Million for Egl West LRT P&D? What should we read into that?
2 retweets 0 likes

AoD

Whatever the case, it's safe to say that the Relief Line will get federal funding when it gets to that point in planning. They wouldn't have given nearly $30M if they weren't serious about it going ahead.

I can see Trudeau being in power at least 2 or 3 terms. Wynne, I'm not so confident. In the worst case scenario, Toronto could deal directly with the Feds if necessary. We're finally getting a downtown subway.

Whatever the case, it's safe to say that the Relief Line will get federal funding when it gets to that point in planning. They wouldn't have given nearly $30M if they weren't serious about it going ahead.

I can see Trudeau being in power at least 2 or 3 terms. Wynne, I'm not so confident. In the worst case scenario, Toronto could deal directly with the Feds if necessary. We're finally getting a downtown subway.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch, especially when it comes to the Feds. The only way one can seriously believe anything on this file is when contracts are signed and shovels are in the ground (and even then...)

AoD

Remember that even DRL was the key piece of the Conservatives election platform in 2014 - Hudak wanted to cancel the LRTs (sheppard and finch), build the scarborough subway, and then drop a huge chunk of capital to build the downtown U part of the DRL.

Personally I see the DRL as a relatively sure thing. It has popular support from around the table and is needed to get other election friendly goodies such as the yonge north extension.

Remember that even DRL was the key piece of the Conservatives election platform in 2014 - Hudak wanted to cancel the LRTs (sheppard and finch), build the scarborough subway, and then drop a huge chunk of capital to build the downtown U part of the DRL.

Personally I see the DRL as a relatively sure thing. It has popular support from around the table and is needed to get other election friendly goodies such as the yonge north extension.

The last thing I want to trust is *anyone's* election platform - especially a party whose support his historically not based in (and at times, whose policy is downright hostile to) the central city.

AoD

I used to think the provincial Liberals were the only adults in the room on transit, but I'm not so sure anymore. They gave us the deeply flawed UPX, a Spadina subway extension that literally passes under fields (thanks, Sorbara and your Vaughan developer pals), and the cave-in to Ford Nation on the idiotic Scarborough subway extension. Though I agree the provincial Conservatives exist in fundamental hostility to the interests of 416 and the provincial NDP are just out to lunch on any substantive issues.

I used to think the provincial Liberals were the only adults in the room on transit, but I'm not so sure anymore. They gave us the deeply flawed UPX, a Spadina subway extension that literally passes under fields (thanks, Sorbara and your Vaughan developer pals), and the cave-in to Ford Nation on the idiotic Scarborough subway extension. Though I agree the provincial Conservatives exist in fundamental hostility to the interests of 416 and the provincial NDP are just out to lunch on any substantive issues.

I wouldn't underestimate the PC just yet. Patrick Brown seems more pragmatic then his predecessors and the most legitimate threat to the Liberals in over a decade. His party might not get it, but he understands that without the 416 he doesn't stand a chance.

I think all proposed projects would continue their course but anything new past the current wave of projects will be iced. Historically, Conservatives were never anti-infrastructure, just in our recent history. I would see the PC butcher social programs way before cancelling projects

I think all proposed projects would continue their course but anything new past the current wave of projects will be iced. Historically, Conservatives were never anti-infrastructure, just in our recent history. I would see the PC butcher social programs way before cancelling projects

Comparing the old PC to the current one carries the danger of comparing Eisenhower Republicans to Alt-Right Trumpism. Granted, the Brown lead PC have yet to be tested - but can one trust them to do the right thing over the politically expedient thing? Their earnestness will require more than mere words.

AoD

The PC's tried to distance themselves from Mike Harris, but were still roped from his legacy. Ernie Eves, John Tory, and Tim Hudak still had influence from Harris, but didn't distance from him. The Ford brothers were Harris cheerleaders, which didn't help. Patrick Brown must drop Doug Ford, as well as the Mike Harris legacy to be of any success. We'll see if Brown is a transit helper (like Davis) or a transit adversary.

Back