Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

And I noticed something else - the proposed distance from end of Osgoode to the end of Yonge is 266 metres, which would beat the current record of 300 betbetwen Osgoode and St. Andrew.

Definitely my only gripe with the new alignment. Apparently there are restrictions that forced them together like this, but I would like to see a Queen-Yonge station between Yonge and Victoria. Give some more spacing between stations, but also reach east since there will only be a Sherbourne station.

A few comments on this:

2) The direct connection to the Cherry ROW is a big deal. In the previous iterations, I was strongly suggesting an extension of the ROW, either surface or tunnelled, to connect to the DRL station around Queen & Parliament. Now that it's even south of King & Parliament, that "gap" no longer exists. This will take a huge load off the QQE ROW, as Portlands and Distillery-bound traffic will be split between QQE and Cherry.

I was harping on this too. The 514 (or any successor route that reach south into the Portlands), 504 and 501 will have a direct connection to the subway, and the benefit of that is underrated. I look forward to seeing details about how they will tie in.

Is there any indication that they will continue the planning for the rest of the Relief Line Long?

I'd hate to learn that they plan to only pitch Phase 1 and not bother to pitch the whole thing (Dundas West to Sheppard) all at once.

I dunno, but this presentation for the Eglinton Crosstown now notes Science Centre as an intermodal station. Could they be referring to the Don Mills LRT planned in The Big Move? Maybe. But I dare to dream...

The Queen and Osgoode stations could serve both ends of Nathan Philips Square.

I guess those stations will get the Spanish solution as well.

Transportation Planning wants a highly travelled line (enough new stations, good network connectivity) that's not too expensive (not too many stations), while also being measurably faster for those transferring at the Pape to get Downtown than it has been transferring at Yonge (again, not too many stations)

I think the transportation time argument doesn't hold much water (who actually cares about an incremental 30s increase in travel time?) - in the core area, ease of use should reign supreme.

AoD

I know I'm late in asking this question, but what's the justification for not having the subway just run under King? It seems that many commuters would be going to and from the business district, and King Street itself, all the way to Berkeley, seems more dense than Queen, with new office space building built all the time. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Here are detailed alignment slides I shot (only uploaded ones for recommended alignment)

nI4SXXx.jpg

gaKW6aJ.jpg

kZfUjqq.jpg

56SVgMa.jpg

ZfADRw2.jpg

Ahpds3P.jpg

3POF13F.jpg

IZRivRT.jpg

Thanks for the photos! But some of them are broken for me, could you possibly rehost?

Interesting to see that they're proposing not one but two new GO stations to be integrated with phase 1 of the RL. This will open up all kinds of possibilities for GO passengers going to and from the east end of the city but not necessarily downtown. People on the Lakeshore and Stouffville lines will be able to transfer onto the Eglinton LRT, Danforth subway, and RL at 5 different locations between Riverdale and Eglinton. The travel possibilities will be in an entirely different league from what we have now. Proper fare integration is essential to make the most of all the new connections.

It's less than that between the west end of the Yonge platform and the east end of the Bay platform. What's your source?
Here are detailed alignment slides I shot (only uploaded ones for recommended alignment)
3POF13F.jpg

IZRivRT.jpg

Using the boards from the consultation, the measurement tool in Google Maps and some maths:
  • 240 m - East end of Osgoode RL platform to west end of Queen RL platform
  • 585 m - West end of Osgoode RL platform to east end of Queen RL platform
  • 410 m - Centre-of-platform distance (240 m + [[170m/2]*2])

For the quickly increasing densities of both residential and new office commercial on the east side of downtown, I think only one stop down here would be 1) just swamped, and 2) inconvenient to too many people. By putting in a station at King & Sumach, you're fairly close to Regent Park (service of which is a social justice aim of the City), while being located right on both the King and Cherry Street streetcar lines. When the Cheery streetcar track is extended south of the Gardiner in the future to connect with the Waterfront East LRT and the Port Lands LRT lines, that station will be an incredibly important transfer point.

In regards to Sherbourne, once you have a station established at King & Sumach, it's just too far to go all the way to Yonge without another stop. The Sherbourne bus is quite a busy one, and a station there will serve George Brown College students and more lower income areas very well. The land just to the southeast (245 Queen East) which is currently getting into a rezoning battle, will certainly benefit from a stop there too. (We'll see what kind of density ends up on that patch of land.)

As I mentioned in another post re: Yonge, I was told there were underground services issues east of Yonge which would make construction more difficult there than on the east side of it.

In regards to topside development, does anyone know if we have a general thread for that? I don't have time to search that out right now myself unfortunately. First Gulf seems to be on top of that at East Harbour at least, and Metrolinx is looking at that at a grand total of two, count 'em, two Crosstown LRT stations. We certainly need more of it, but I think that the transit agencies are reticent to get into local rezoning battles at every station: right now, they just want to get lines built.

Thanks for the info. As an outsider looking in I admit I am mostly ignorant about underground utilities and surface connections. I had no clue the Cherry streetcar would be extended southward.

Here is the Preferred Alignment with 500 metre catchments:

catchment_zpskqzgtgct.png

Here's a map with one station deleted between Yonge and the Don Valley, and both the Yonge and the Sherbourne stations shifted a bit eastward, a.k.a. what I originally had in mind before I knew about the Cherry Street streetcar extension.

catchment2_zpsiiiovmuz.png

I dunno, but this presentation for the Eglinton Crosstown now notes Science Centre as an intermodal station. Could they be referring to the Don Mills LRT planned in The Big Move? Maybe. But I dare to dream...

I'm afraid it's far less exciting than that.

http://www.thecrosstown.ca/the-project/stations-and-stops/don-mills-station

"The bus terminal will include seven bus bays for TTC buses, with on-street bus connections. There will also be an underground, accessible connection to the LRT concourse level, along with retail spaces at this level"​

Will they be, though? Both Eglinton-Yonge and Bloor-Yonge are gateways. The majority of people's trips go through them, not end at them. I would venture to say a much higher percentage of the trips going through Queen-Yonge or Osgoode will terminate there, with only a small percentage transferring to Line 1.

As such, I think station box placement relative to logical exit points is more important than station box location to provide an optimal transfer setup.
In addition to that, there's logic in the proposed placement for reducing transfer loads.

If both Osgoode and Queen stations were centred over their transfer stations, that would mean that all people riding the DRL who wish to transfer to either the University or Yonge lines would want to be at the middle of the train.
By having one station intersect at the east end, and one station intersect at the west end, you spread the transfer loads across the length of the train itself.
The proposed layout also gives direct access to University, York, Bay, and Yonge streets, distributing the passenger load to the two ends as well.

It distributes the loading points in the downtown towards the two ends of the train so well, that I almost worry about the middle of the train being relatively empty. But you can see that Pape station is centred! So the long-haul traffic from Scarborough will be getting on the middle of the train, while the shorter-run traffic will be getting on the ends.

I'm afraid it's far less exciting than that.

http://www.thecrosstown.ca/the-project/stations-and-stops/don-mills-station

"The bus terminal will include seven bus bays for TTC buses, with on-street bus connections. There will also be an underground, accessible connection to the LRT concourse level, along with retail spaces at this level"​

This is based off of the old information. You can see the old map currently posted to the Crosstown site does not label Science Centre as intermodal.

eglinton_final_map_jan.png

From the slides of the Eglinton Station presentation:

90HJ0mI.png

They do not place an indicator as to what it will connect with, but it is definitely an intermodal rapid transit connection of some sort. It is not indicating bus connections.

Back