Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

You guys want two downtown tunnels?

I'm down.

Most of the maps I've created recently show a SmartTrack DRL under King-Wellington-Front (King in the west, Wellington through the CBD, Front in the east), and a Queen LRT. The LRT would run in a dedicated ROW from Roncesvalles to John, then dive into a tunnel through the CBD (facilitating easier connections with Osgoode and Queen Stations), and a dedicated ROW again from Church to River.

In this scenario, King would become the long haul transit route as well as the vehicular surface route, while Queen would become a surface transit and pedestrian street, catering to more local travel patterns.

So in essence, it would kind of be 2 tunnels in downtown, just the 2nd one would be a lot shorter.

It's the main transportation hub. But it's not the primary destination in AM peak. Last time I checked, there were more AM peak destinations at Dundas subway station than any other on the downtown loop - with King close behind.

And how about origins + destinations?

Durham commuters can be intercepted at Gerrard Square and go downtown on an east/west route from there if Dundas is their destination, bypassing Union and Line 1 altogether.

Given that it would be prohibitively expensive to convert Union station to Spanish Solution (given its recent renovation), it would be more feasible for the DRL station at Bay or Yonge to have Spanish Solution platforms, especially given that the station would very much be either in the Financial District or within walking distance of it and there would be no doubt that it would be so crowded that Spanish Solution would make sense.

Spanish Solution works in many cities.

Jokes aside, it would be prudent to look at the possibility of having the Spanish Solution at certain stations

We can have a Spanish Solution at King or a Spanish Solution at Queen and Yonge depending on which alignment the DRL chooses. I don't think the University line will require Spanish Solutions.

I wish we had enough space to build a Spanish Solution at Yonge and Eglinton. With the Crosstown being built and Eglinton Station being pushed further north, this is the ideal time to build a Spanish Solution. The station platforms in the relocated Eglinton will be the same width as the present one, which is significantly shorter width than Bloor-Yonge. I am worried that without a Spanish Solution the small platforms simply will not be able to handle the peak hour demands especially as ridership on the Crosstown increases and more walk-in traffic is generated from nearby condos.

It is a real shame that it would be prohibitively expensive to build a Spanish Solution at Bloor and Yonge as well. Besides Eglinton, that would be the one station that could really benefit from having a Spanish Solution.

Drinnk up. :D

Back