Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

A continuos route along eglinton is better, there is no real point in trying to build the center section as a 'subway', and the rest as LRT, it would do nothing but create a transfer.

Personally I think having the central section as a subway with the fringes served by bus to be a perfectly acceptable solution and I mentioned it previously.

Personally I think having the central section as a subway with the fringes served by bus to be a perfectly acceptable solution and I mentioned it previously.

Yeah, but as this is marketed as a Crosstown route, it would totally fail at being one, with two transfers.

EDIT: Oh, and for the love of god, make Eglinton LRT mostly grade-separated along the Richview corridor
Now, back on topic: Would an LRT continuation of Jane and Don Mills to create a DRL have enough capacity, that might be easier to sell to City Council (of course, all underground!)??

Last edited:
Now, back on topic: Would an LRT continuation of Jane and Don Mills to create a DRL have enough capacity, that might be easier to sell to City Council (of course, all underground!)??

A light rail line can be built to handle the projected demand on DRL. But the trains will have to be so long that they won't be able to serve the street-median sections of Don Mills or Jane routes. Essentially, it would be a subway line that happens to use LRT rolling stock. It won't cost less than a subway, and won't eliminate transfers.

In essence, we face similar hard choices on three routes (DRL / Don Mills / Jane, Eglinton, and Sheppard / Finch). Full subway ($$$) versus continuous LRT (capacity and speed issues) versus subway in the center only (extra transfers). But the resolution does not have to be same for all three routes. In fact, I believe that distinct solutions are warranted:
- DRL: build as subway, ASAP
- Eglinton: build as LRT, ASAP
- Sheppard: gradually expand the subway line

I think there's some merit to extending the DRL up the Weston Sub in order to serve local stops that a Brampton REX shouldn't.

Stops could serve The Junction neighbourhood, St. Clair West, and Rogers Road, all dense pre-war neighbourhoods. The line could terminate at an intermodal station at Eglinton with REX and the Eglinton Crosstown line. Eglinton, located at the end of Black Creek Drive would be a great location for a park-and-ride and includes a massive site, larger than City Place, that could be redeveloped. Since it could be on the surface, building such an extension could be incredibly cheap. An LRT is another option, and could include even more stops

The nice thing about the Weston sub is that it's on a diagonal to the grid. A subway or LRT line could simply turn off the corridor and head north or west down a number of streets. Keele, Eglinton, Jane, Lawrence/Dixon, Weston Rd, Albion Rd, Islington, Kipling, Martin Grove...
Fair enough, as long as the line links up with a fully grade separated Eglinton LRT, a northern extension can make sense. I don't like the idea of the line changing to LRT north of Bloor though, it would introduce an unnecesary transfer.

Talking about the DRL forever wont change a thing.

We were succesful in forcing the TTC to at least acknowledge that we wanted that subway line.

But Giambrone says not before the 2020. Unless its ready at the same time as the York extension, the subway service will drastically decrease.

We should maybe organize something. Miller and his boy failed to include the DRL in their wishlist. Yes the boy is stubborn. The problem is people needs to be aware of this and if nothing is done, they will pass they're little plan.

We need to give them a stronger opposition so at least TTC customer have a say in the matter.

People need to be aware.

I'm going to write on the facebook blog to see what can be done.

An idea for getting the DRL onto the agenda front and centre is to start a Facebook group called "I live in Adam Giambrone's ward and I will personally vote for the other candidate in the next municipal election unless he seriously considers building the DRL as a subway as part of Move Ontario 2020".

Then, get your friends to join and once about 500 people have joined, send him a personal invite to this group.

Move Ontario 2020 is not a plan - it is simply a pool of cash.

It would be much more effective if the lobbying was directed at those who control that cash (the province via Metrolinx). One can lobby Mr. Giambrone until we're blue in the face but the truth is that he is just a single vote on the Metrolinx board.

An idea for getting the DRL onto the agenda front and centre is to start a Facebook group called "I live in Adam Giambrone's ward and I will personally vote for the other candidate in the next municipal election unless he seriously considers building the DRL as a subway as part of Move Ontario 2020".

Then, get your friends to join and once about 500 people have joined, send him a personal invite to this group.

LOL nice. Threatening his reelection is a good idea, if you could pull it off. Get a petition lol.

I had a meeting with TTC staff Monday night and this was said about the DRL:

"TTC needs to maximizes their system first before building this DRL and it must be push off into the distance future as far as possible."

One can say I don’t want this to happen on my watch as to the price tag of $2.1B. "It’s money that can be use for other things" by TTC staff.

So, one needs to changes some minds with TTC and the City to get the DRL 100 years after it first raise it's head.

Another head-scratcher from the brain trust. What I cannot understand is why the DRL can only be considered as a function of Yonge capacity--ie, "we will only build this thing as an absolute last resort, and then only to reduce loads on Yonge." The notion that, in addition to such "relief," a huge number of new neighbourhoods and trip generators could get subway service for the first time is bizarrely absent from the equation. The TTC's mandate is to provide public transport for the City of Toronto, not for Yonge Street, but it's easy to forget that sometimes.

Another head-scratcher from the brain trust. What I cannot understand is why the DRL can only be considered as a function of Yonge capacity--ie, "we will only build this thing as an absolute last resort, and then only to reduce loads on Yonge." The notion that, in addition to such "relief," a huge number of new neighbourhoods and trip generators could get subway service for the first time is bizarrely absent from the equation. The TTC's mandate is to provide public transport for the City of Toronto, not for Yonge Street, but it's easy to forget that sometimes.

Good point.

Plus, the western extension of a DRL would take strain off of the Spadina line (a consideration in light of the northern extension), not to mention the College, Dundas, Queen, and King, cars. Potentially the Dufferin bus, as well as others. Certainly, there is a lot more at stake than the relief of the Yonge line.

I had a meeting with TTC staff Monday night and this was said about the DRL:

"TTC needs to maximizes their system first before building this DRL and it must be push off into the distance future as far as possible."

One can say I don’t want this to happen on my watch as to the price tag of $2.1B. "It’s money that can be use for other things" by TTC staff.

So, one needs to changes some minds with TTC and the City to get the DRL 100 years after it first raise it's head.

Wow ... did they provide any more logic behind that statement ... maximize to what end?

What's the plan for the King/Queen streetcar lines anyway.

I don't think we need the DRL to alleviate stress on the Spadina line .... even after the expansion. It'll be well within it's capicity I believe.
But on the Bloor line and Southern Yonge line it will help a lot.

Personally I see the biggest advantage being relief on the King/Queen street cars and better North/South access (close to downtown).

But if the TTC has another solution for the King/Queen lines maybe I'd be willing to hear them out and indeed push this off.

Back