Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I'm not sure why Line 3 should be SRT blue. Does it really make any difference?
From an aesthetic standpoint, yes (while subjective, I suspect most would agree that having blue fill in between green (2) and purple (4), as was the case with the SRT, would look nicer than the darker shade of purple).
We've discussed it this in this thread, with images. The mapping showed it heading to the 407, along the transitway alignment, then south to Pearson and then Kipling station. No extension west of Exhibition was shown (though I assume it's inevitable).

I'm sure we are talking many years before it hits 407, let alone runs along the 407. Presumably it would be interlined with services to Oshawa and Burlington.
While I've read the discussions about looping around the 407 and what not, it always sounded like nothing more than a fantasy or a hypothetical possibility in the distant future, with no concrete plans to actually move forward with it.

From an aesthetic standpoint, yes (while subjective, I suspect most would agree that having blue fill in between green (2) and purple (4), as was the case with the SRT, would look nicer than the darker shade of purple).
In my mind, I'd barely call Line 4 purple. Looks more magenta to me. I'm not sure I'd call that Line 3 colour "darker purple" either.

1719228147165.png
1719228221891.png

While I've read the discussions about looping around the 407 and what not, it always sounded like nothing more than a fantasy or a hypothetical possibility in the distant future, with no concrete plans to actually move forward with it.
Who knows what Metrolinx is thinking. They had the Exhibition relief subway plan around for years, seldom appearing in public, until the day they announced the Ontario Line. The loop to the west has only appeared on government documents.

Sorry for the late reply @devvydoesstuff

I finally got a chance to redownload the 48 MB PDF (PLN - Linked Document - 60%Design_WAY0-0001.pdf), and if you look near the top corner of Page 4 the Line 3 signage is in colour. It's the August 1, 2023 document called "Plans and Drawings" under "Supporting Documentation on the page https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...nt/application-details/?id=5211102&pid=694908

View attachment 574753
They probably used the wrong ctb file (customizable color tables) when plotting to PDF. MX has a specific ctb file for all designers and consultants to use.
Line 3 is still blue as fas as I know.

1719235157570.png

They probably used the wrong ctb file (customizable color tables) when plotting to PDF. MX has a specific ctb file for all designers and consultants to use.
Line 3 is still blue as far as I know.
Entirely possible. Neither Metrolinx cocking up by using the same colour twice, nor printing it wrong.

I'd generally assume it was a cock-up on the figure - it always the simplest explanation. Except that they've started using the same, or very similar, colour on the Line 10 signage. I hadn't considered the possibility that they'd have cocked-up twice!

Digging, despite the drawing showing that it comes from the East Harbour Transit Hub Alliance, the detail in the PDF shows it comes from Hatch - who are part of other aspects of the Ontario Line, and not the East Harbour consortium. Which makes sense, but less likely that they'd have goofed, as they'd be in the know. But people don't check things properly these days ...

Personally, I think the SRT Blue would have been a better choice - as long as it wasn't used elsewhere.

I agree with that, I was gonna call it that too but since everyone simply called it purple I just went along with it. The NYC 7 is also pretty much the same color.
Yes, it appears almost identical to the 7 in NYC. And as an aside, NYC operates okay with multiple lines, using the same colour - mostly because of interlining.

Though at times, there's not as much interlining as one would expect.

1719251433670.png

1719251348124.png

Last edited:
In my mind, I'd barely call Line 4 purple. Looks more magenta to me. I'm not sure I'd call that Line 3 colour "darker purple" either.

View attachment 575033View attachment 575036

Who knows what Metrolinx is thinking. They had the Exhibition relief subway plan around for years, seldom appearing in public, until the day they announced the Ontario Line. The loop to the west has only appeared on government documents.
At least the way it appears on my screen here in the office, I'd describe that colour as in the pink family before purple. But magenta is right.

Entirely possible. Neither Metrolinx cocking up by using the same colour twice, nor printing it wrong.

I'd generally assume it was a cock-up on the figure - it always the simplest explanation. Except that they've started using the same, or very similar, colour on the Line 10 signage. I hadn't considered the possibility that they'd have cocked-up twice!

Digging, despite the drawing showing that it comes from the East Harbour Transit Hub Alliance, the detail in the PDF shows it comes from Hatch - who are part of other aspects of the Ontario Line, and not the East Harbour consortium. Which makes sense, but less likely that they'd have goofed, as they'd be in the know. But people don't check things properly these days ...

Personally, I think the SRT Blue would have been a better choice - as long as it wasn't used elsewhere.

Yes, it appears almost identical to the 7 in NYC. And as an aside, NYC operates okay with multiple lines, using the same colour - mostly because of interlining.

Though at times, there's not as much interlining as one would expect.

View attachment 575108
View attachment 575103
The NYC system makes sense though, the colour represents which trunk the line runs through when in Midtown Manhattan, where each letter is effectively a branch of that trunk line. So Blue is 8th Avenue, Orange is 6th avenue, Red is 7th Avenue, Yellow is Broadway, etc.

The NYC system makes sense though, the colour represents which trunk the line runs through when in Midtown Manhattan, where each letter is effectively a branch of that trunk line. So Blue is 8th Avenue, Orange is 6th avenue, Red is 7th Avenue, Yellow is Broadway, etc.
Yes, but what doesn't make sense (at least to an outsider not as intimately well-versed in the system's route history) is why the letter branches are grouped randomly rather than sequentially. For example, why is it ACE, BDFM and not ABC, DEFG, etc.

Ah, that's an interesting and helpful way of looking at it. Though Orange is on 8th much more than 6th; and most of my riding on it has been in the Bronx and Brooklyn on neither! Similarly Red spends more time on Broadway than on 7th.

Oh if only we could have such issues to worry about here .... :)

Ah, that's an interesting and helpful way of looking at it. Though Orange is on 8th much more than 6th; and most of my riding on it has been in the Bronx and Brooklyn on neither! Similarly Red spends more time on Broadway than on 7th.

Oh if only we could have such issues to worry about here .... :)
More specifically, I believe the colours refer to the street the service runs under in midtown.

More specifically, I believe the colours refer to the street the service runs under in midtown.
In part of midtown from about 14th Street to 42nd Street. Still doesn't feel particularly intuitive to me, even though I used to spend most of my time there around 26th Street - until Covid.

Back