Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Still don't understand why they didn't bring this line to Don Mills station at Sheppard. It's 3 more stations all above ground. Bringing it north after that would have been phase 2.
3 reasons in my opinion.

1. PC party wanted a specific opening date. So the scope of the project was limited.

2. North of Eglinton runs into a Scarborough question on whether this line stay in North York or swings to Victoria Park to boarder Scarborough. No need to derail an entire project south of Eglinton to figure this out.

3. If we ever get there. An Ontario Line phase 2 could potentially carry the election for 3 to 4 swing ridings if they extend it along Victoria Park all the way to Finch. Ridings DVN, DVE, DVW, Agincourt will all benefit from it. Doug doesn’t need the votes now because he is popular. But in 2 elections time this could swing the final outcome.

Still don't understand why they didn't bring this line to Don Mills station at Sheppard. It's 3 more stations all above ground. Bringing it north after that would have been phase 2.
I mean the OL is in itself a 15.6km fully grade separated subway line, when it opens it'll be the single largest subway extension to open on one day in the history of Toronto.

It's also nearly triple the length of the Relief Line it replaced.

At a certain point we need to be cognizant of what we are getting, and not wish for more.

I do agree an extension to Sheppard should be very affordable as it can be entirely elevated though and should be prioritized.

I mean the OL is in itself a 15.6km fully grade separated subway line, when it opens it'll be the single largest subway extension to open on one day in the history of Toronto.

It's also nearly triple the length of the Relief Line it replaced.

At a certain point we need to be cognizant of what we are getting, and not wish for more.

I do agree an extension to Sheppard should be very affordable as it can be entirely elevated though and should be prioritized.

Really I only brought it up cuz of reducing the loads on the Yonge which this project is for. I thought that would be greater achieved by going to Don Mills. But I'm first to admit I'm no expert

Surely the biggest factor is the demand is lower north of Eglinton, especially north of Lawrence.
"Lower"? maybe, but I wouldn't call it Low. Its been discussed here before, but long term in order to relieve the Yonge Line, its been stated that the Ontario Line would need to reach Sheppard Avenue in order for the question of capacity to take a while to reface its ugly head. This is before we bring up the fact that there are plenty of ridership generators along the corridor, namely Seneca College over at Don Mills and Finch, and we have the Commerce Valley Tech Hub over at Leslie and 7/407 if we want to go that far north. Both of these areas would love to have access to high quality RT that can bring students/workers over from downtown Toronto.

The capacity issue on the Yonge Line isn't nearly what it was pre-2020 any more - and I think it will largely remain that way for the significant future. Doesn't mean a northern extension isn't valid, especially since it can be done so relatively affordably, but Line 1 isn't in that desperate need of relief like it once was.

Really I only brought it up cuz of reducing the loads on the Yonge which this project is for. I thought that would be greater achieved by going to Don Mills. But I'm first to admit I'm no expert
And it'll do a good job of that, the OL already brings it to Eglinton instead of just Bloor like the previous plan.

I'm sure Sheppard will eventually come. You just have to scope projects at some point. The OL as it is today, going to Eglinton, is already the largest infrastructure project in the City's history - at a certain point you have to draw a line and say "this will due for now".

The capacity issue on the Yonge Line isn't nearly what it was pre-2020 any more - and I think it will largely remain that way for the significant future. Doesn't mean a northern extension isn't valid, especially since it can be done so relatively affordably, but Line 1 isn't in that desperate need of relief like it once was.
With current rates of immigration it won't be long until its in desperate need of relief.

3 reasons in my opinion.

1. PC party wanted a specific opening date. So the scope of the project was limited.

2. North of Eglinton runs into a Scarborough question on whether this line stay in North York or swings to Victoria Park to boarder Scarborough. No need to derail an entire project south of Eglinton to figure this out.

3. If we ever get there. An Ontario Line phase 2 could potentially carry the election for 3 to 4 swing ridings if they extend it along Victoria Park all the way to Finch. Ridings DVN, DVE, DVW, Agincourt will all benefit from it. Doug doesn’t need the votes now because he is popular. But in 2 elections time this could swing the final outcome.
So politics then.

I hope phase 2 becomes public in the next year. And the western half (Exhibition to Pearson or Mount Dennis depending who you talk to) is also brought up. We should be pushing as many riders off Yonge-University as possible.

"Lower"? maybe, but I wouldn't call it Low. Its been discussed here before, but long term in order to relieve the Yonge Line, its been stated that the Ontario Line would need to reach Sheppard Avenue in order for the question of capacity to take a while to reface its ugly head. This is before we bring up the fact that there are plenty of ridership generators along the corridor, namely Seneca College over at Don Mills and Finch, and we have the Commerce Valley Tech Hub over at Leslie and 7/407 if we want to go that far north. Both of these areas would love to have access to high quality RT that can bring students/workers over from downtown Toronto.
Agreed 100 percent, especially Don Mills and Finch, would make it one of the better-used routes right off the bat.

Surely the biggest factor is the demand is lower north of Eglinton, especially north of Lawrence.
The Science Center and Ontario Place are where the lobbyists, developers and consultants who got the province to switch to the OL plan were looking to get rich off of property redevelopment.

The Science Center and Ontario Place are where the lobbyists, developers and consultants who got the province to switch to the OL plan were looking to get rich off of property redevelopment.
False. Metrolinx has been eying a 'Lakeshore' relief line since at least 2011.
1716407440094.png

And a relief line going to Donmills and Eglinton has been envisioned since at least 1985.
1716407538134.png

There might be a bit of a fight with NIMBYs for the elevated extension. There's benefits to not needing to fight all the NIMBYs at once.

There might be a bit of a fight with NIMBYs for the elevated extension. There's benefits to not needing to fight all the NIMBYs at once.
Maybe having the example of the elevated stretch at Flemingdon will help in shifting the Overton window on elevated infrastructure in Toronto, but from what people are hypothesizing here, Dofo would be proposing this extension before OL is complete and in operation.

Back