Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

If there's local stops on the Lakeshore Line downtown with frequent service then it would make sense to put it under Queen. If not then King St for most of it.

If they don't like DRL then perhaps they could call it the Leaside & City Line or something.

Relief line does have a certain "ring" to it (not to mention, being accurate in its' purpose) - and 50 years later people would be writing about the naming.

AoD

Don't call it the Downtown Relief Line, call it the Relief Line.

From The Star, at this link:

a few quotes from the article.

The notice refers only to a “relief line” study — a look at the options for moving more people into the city core without further burdening the Yonge subway.

It looks like this will just be another vague study that determines that a DRL is needed. no talk at all about chosing a route. Just another delay tactic to say that it is being studied, when in reality, no progress is being made.

We’re working very closely with the TTC to study options for the relief line

Maybe if Metrolinx and TTC merged we could guarentee that they work together - namely using each others routes with fair integration.

Oblivious? Really? Funny I was just talking to a buddy of mine at my PT job about GO. I was telling him how GO in my neck of the woods (I'm closest to the Kitchener line) is only beneficial if you work a traditional 9 - 5 job and that if you work anything other than that it is pointless to ride the GO. I only get 5 trains at my station and they all arrive between 5 am and 9 am in the morning and depart between 3 pm and 7 pm in the evening. Not conducive if you are going to stay past 7 pm.

He has the same situation. He lives close to Kennedy station and usually winds up taking the TTC because the last train leaves Union at 7:30 pm and our job usually has us working until 10:30.

So it's not just being oblivious to GO I think most people do look at it but then realize that it only works if you have a 9 - 5 job. GO needs to realize that there is a whole other market of riders that it can reach if only it had all-day, or near all-day service.

When I said everyone, I meant everyone at GO/Metrolinx. The corridors are underused and as of yet, they've done nothing to fix it. Probably should have said that :rolleyes:

It really wouldn't take much to turn some of the GO lines into a RT system with frequent headways. Express trains at 10 minute headways between Union and Kennedy would really improve the situation.

It looks like this will just be another vague study that determines that a DRL is needed. no talk at all about chosing a route. Just another delay tactic to say that it is being studied, when in reality, no progress is being made.

Do you rather them not study at all (which by default meant that nothing will be done)? Small steps.

Maybe if Metrolinx and TTC merged we could guarentee that they work together - namely using each others routes with fair integration.

Fare integration won't do a thing where GO doesn't haven't the capacity to handle TTC loads.

AoD

Great!!! Another study...Until next time...

Everytime-I-try-to-study-hard.jpg

So if the Metrolinx and Toronto DRL studies arrive at significantly different conclusions, who wins?

I think they would both have to repeat their studies to see if they could come to a common understanding. Of course that means another couple of years of study and no action.

I think they would both have to repeat their studies to see if they could come to a common understanding. Of course that means another couple of years of study and no action.

You'd hope that with York Region itching for the Yonge extension that they would want to work out any discrepancies between the two studies as quickly as possible.

Metrolinx. Seeing as how they will fund RHill and then complain there's too many people on the Yonge line in 10 years...
Plus is Toronto paying for anything now?

IIRC, Toronto has put about $1.4B into streetcars over the next few years and it looks like we'll be topping it up with another $300M soon by exercising options for more trams.

The province kicked in about $600M. In exchange, the city covered the provinces portion of the stimulus road-work package (around $200M?)

New rails, new overhead, new vehicles, new yards, etc. It's a pretty major overhaul and capacity bump of the tram routes.

Toronto also took on a $200M chunk of Union Station. 2nd Platform is Waterfront Toronto but the station restoration and expansion is the city as is the PATH connection. GO is only paying for the railway items (train shed and railway corridor improvements).

Toronto should be doing more but it is doing more than nothing.

Last edited:
Plus if any of the LRT lines are over budget toronto is the one that will have to pay up, not Metrolinx. (From my understanding at least)

Another thing is if a DRL opens then one of those routes will probably drop the streetcar line so they'll be an over abundance of streetcars. Unless a DRL opens in 2045 when the new streetcars would be retiring anyway.

At the rate we are on currently the DRL will open around 2025 or 2026, at which the King and Roncasvalles streetcar services will likely be eliminated as they have been replaced with a subway service. (maybe even broadview) This will free up a ton of streetcars to use on other lines which will almost certainly be feeling the weight of 100,000 more people living in the downtown core than today. plus you can add the Queens Quay Streetcar extension, possibly the Portlands extension at that point, and a couple more extensions like maybe the St. Clair streetcar being brought out to Jane, and you have a lot of the extra streetcars being used up. Any extra can be put in storage and saved for a time when they are inevitably needed for service increases to meet demand moving into the 2030's.

Back