Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Yes, 100% agree

Not fully, there was still NIMBY "I don't want Subway trains underneath my back yard" / "no to Relief Line gentrification" etc comments
Of course - that's why I wrote "near" universal acceptance. There's always going to be some resistance to any plan.

This is clearly on a different level than objections to the DRL.

Go Expansion has always been 4 tracks planned going at least to scarborough

I'm counting five through East Harbour. Then at Gerrard perhaps four, looks like five, hard to tell. Hm is that enough. Electric express/local, Diesel, then VIA. On four tracks.

But with regards to Nimbys this isn't too extreme. 1985 DRL plan had a true elevated viaduct concept on top of the elevated corridor. This one actually looks lower than the corridor. Those that have it worst in this department are around Davenport Diamond. Elevated + diesel, right alongside backyard. Ouch lol.

I'm counting five through East Harbour. Then at Gerrard perhaps four, looks like five, hard to tell. Hm is that enough. Electric express/local, Diesel, then VIA. On four tracks.

Potentially, that may be enough. Two central tracks for electric express RER, diesel GO, and diesel VIA; they all will have to either run express from Scarborough Junction to Union, or serve a common stop in between. Two outer tracks for electric local GO, that will serve all intermediate stops.

But then they need interchanges on both ends of that segment, to send every train to the proper track without conflicts with other trains.

If they are dropping the Scarborough Junction grade separation .. that kind of implies they want to run all Stouffville trains on the two northern tracks, and all LSE and VIA trains on the two southern tracks. If so, they have to play with schedules to operate both express and local on the same pair of tracks, and the maximum combined frequency will be limited by that.

Note to the NIMBYs. Why do people still buy or rent suites next door to the Gardiner Expressway, if noise is a problem?

blog_concord_gardiner_expressway.jpg

From link.

If the NIMBYs move out because of a surface or elevated "Ontario" Line, expect others who will want to move in.

My guess would be the Liberals are going to campaign on burying the Leslieville segment.. if they won they could go ahead and procure the north half of the line first while the design/costing for the lower half is re-re-designed.

Yes, that's the most probable change from the political standpoint. Liberals are very interested in the Yonge North extension, or at least they were during their previous terms in Queens Park. Any significant delay in RL / OL would jeopardize Yonge North.

Just burying the Leslieville segment and retaining the rest of design should not cause a significant delay, but will make the locals happier.

Not that it will be a perfect technical solution. The cost will go up, reducing the cost advantage of OL over the old DRL. While the capacity will not go up at all.

Oh well, nothing is perfect in this universe :( At least they are moving somewhere, not just talking and promising :)

Note to the NIMBYs. Why do people still buy or rent suites next door to the Gardiner Expressway, if noise is a problem?

From link.

If the NIMBYs move out because of a surface or elevated "Ontario" Line, expect others who will want to move in.

People often buy/rent those units if there are no other choices for that location in their price range. They're usually cheaper.

From link.

In all fairness, people who move into these condos are choosing to do so with the Gardiner already there.

If the city unveiled plans to expand the Gardiner and the traffic it accomodates I'm sure there'd be significant backlash.

In all fairness, people who move into these condos are choosing to do so with the Gardiner already there.

If the city unveiled plans to expand the Gardiner and the traffic it accomodates I'm sure there'd be significant backlash.

By this logic - the railway corridor had been in place before all the current residents. And unlike the Gardiner, OL and electrification will constitute local environmental improvement - nevermind the overall environmental benefits of the overall project.

AoD

Hard to consult without a proposal.
I was involved in Relief Line consultations long before they even had an alignment picked. We had the opportunity to discuss incredibly specific matters with the design team, where they provided thoughtful and genuinely informative answers. They were more than willing to discuss technical aspects that weren't even detailed in the final report(s).

This is the standard MX should be held up to. This infrastructure is being built with our money and we have a right to know what is going on. The RLS consultation experience was a far cry from whatever the heck Metrolinx is doing with the Ontario Line, where we can't get even the most basic technical details answered without PR spin.

Last edited:
By this logic - the railway corridor had been in place before all the current residents. And unlike the Gardiner, OL and electrification will constitute local environmental improvement - nevermind the overall environmental benefits of the overall project.

AoD

Yes, it was in place...just as the Gardiner was in place.

The difference is that they aren't planning on expanding the Gardiner without any local input.

I believe if Metrolinx had partnered with the community instead, there'd be far less resistance.

How many properties could be acquired and turned to parkland along the rail corridor for the additional expense of tunneling? Anyone who strongly objects can have their property bought out and the community gains additional parkland.

Yes, it was in place...just as the Gardiner was in place.

The difference is that they aren't planning on expanding the Gardiner without any local input.

I believe if Metrolinx had partnered with the community instead, there'd be far less resistance.

Sure, I agree Metrolinx should be a lot less evasive about their intentions right from the start (as an org, I don't find them particularly trustworthy either), but at the same time, I am not entirely convinced that some members of the community is exactly "reasonable" either. Personally, I'd say by all means go ahead, but under the condition of a 1 to 1 replacement of any lost greenspace, and instead of hanging onto and rallying around an aging facility like Jimmie Simpson, I'd say, sure take it - but upgrade/expand it as the price - either in-situ or nearby like by one of the OL stations. Also, turn that stretch of the rail corridor into a greenway. But that posits community improvement is the end goal (and not pointless status quo through bad faith arguments).

AoD

Last edited:
Sure, I agree Metrolinx should be a lot less evasive about their intentions right from the start, but at the same time, I am not entirely convinced that some members of the community is exactly "reasonable" either. Personally, I'd say by all means go ahead, but under the condition of a 1 to 1 replacement of any lost greenspace, and instead of hanging onto and rallying around an aging facility like Jimmie Simpson, I'd say, sure take it - but upgrade/expand it as the price - either in-situ or nearby like by one of the OL stations. Also, turn that stretch of the rail corridor into a greenway.

AoD

I agree with you. I'm not convinced some members of the community are being reasonable either.

Perhaps they're asking for the world and hoping for a compromise somewhere in the middle (or far closer to what Metrolinx wants to do). One could argue neither side is handling this well. I put the onus on the government as it's their responsibility to set expectations and work with the community to come to a satisfactory outcome, especially when there are projects that are being held to a different standard.

If they'd guaranteed significant landscaping/community improvements, etc. perhaps the community would've been on board right away.

Generally speaking, in my experience these kinds of situations when the side who wants to make all the changes approaches it with some level of empathy and cooperation the community is a lot more receptive.

Unfortunately Metrolinx has had a troubling track record recently when it comes to building community relationships.

I didn't notice it posted.....apologies if I missed it; but Steve Munro published a new post yesterday on the subject of the Community Meeting/ Q&A that was recently held for this project.

To say he was unimpressed is an understatement.

Last edited:

Back