Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Back to the Ontario Line:

Agenda for tonight's meeting: https://www.metrolinxengage.com/sites/default/files/ol-virtualopenhouse-210419-final.pdf

What's interesting to point out is the layout for Pape Station:

Looks like it will be 2 sets of staircases/escalators to reach the platform level.
I have a couple of questions (at Metrolinx) about this.

I'm not good with this type of diagram, but that looks like 4 escalators. I'd be happy to see less of them to reach the OL, though.

I thought that general convention was to have one service level (what does that mean anyways?)/concourse. Why does Pape need 2?

I thought that this project's merits over DRL was to be less deep and therefore, less expensive? Why does it need to be so deep?

I have a couple of questions (at Metrolinx) about this.

I'm not good with this type of diagram, but that looks like 4 escalators. I'd be happy to see less of them to reach the OL, though.

I thought that general convention was to have one service level (what does that mean anyways?)/concourse. Why does Pape need 2?

I thought that this project's merits over DRL was to be less deep and therefore, less expensive? Why does it need to be so deep?
Yes. Elevators NEVER go out-of-service. Same as escalators, never out-of-service.

aura-elevator.jpg

From link.

Last edited:
Yes. Elevators NEVER go out-of-service. Same as escalators, never out-of-service.

aura-elevator.jpg

From link.
I meant to say that there was more than 1 elevator/escalator ride needed to reach the surface.

Oh just the first woman to become Premier in Canada's most populous province (and one who overcame both an intense amount of sexism and homophobia to become so), who implemented Ontario's $14 minimum wage and a significant raft of important labour reforms, pushed the Federal government to reform the Canadian Pension Plan, instituted one of the world's largest cap and trade carbon pricing programs and Ontario's first basic income project, made pharmacare free for youth, oversaw a provincial economy that saw record low levels of unemployment and, relevant to this thread, made substantial investments into mass transit in many forms after decades of underinvestment.
Honestly, I think I'd prefer her to Del Duca as Lib leader.

I'm really worried people will fall for their scam party again. 15 years, very little action. They are very much at fault for our slow transit progress, and for (just like Ford) selling out to developers.
Given the current state of the Province, Ford and the Conservatives don't deserve another 4 years. In an ideal world the Cons would be reduced to what the Liberals are right now in the Legislature in 2022 for the state the province is in right now. That won't happen though obviously.

Given the current state of the Province, Ford and the Conservatives don't deserve another 4 years. In an ideal world the Cons would be reduced to what the Liberals are right now in the Legislature in 2022 for the state the province is in right now. That won't happen though obviously.
Ford is going to get a majority in 2022. That is the only certain thing in these uncertain times. (Just for a moment imagine Del Luca or Horwath as Primier right now - lol)

Ford is going to get a majority in 2022. That is the only certain thing in these uncertain times. (Just for a moment imagine Del Luca or Horwath as Primier right now - lol)
I don't want to get political, but after what happened on Friday, Ford will have to actually work hard to get a majority, and even a minority. However its also possible that because that ruling was inconsequential, nothing might come out of it.

Personally, I don't like Horwath for her pessimistic style - although perhaps the NDP could be the 'innocent' party that will just get things done and do them well.

Regarding the Ontario Line, Metrolinx has already prepared sample renderings for the line - in the new "Subway Station Architecture Design Standard". It is a set of guidelines on how new subway stations will be built, and it has tons of renderings!

Design Standard and additional renderings...

They chose a minimalist style for the stations, which I'm VERY disappointed about. Why won't we ever have beautiful subway stations?!
Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 12.01.24 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-20 at 12.02.43 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-20 at 12.02.51 AM.png

I don't want to get political, but after what happened on Friday, Ford will have to actually work hard to get a majority, and even a minority. However its also possible that because that ruling was inconsequential, nothing might come out of it.
Voters will forget about that. Once Covid is sorted out in the summer / early fall, Ford will take all the credit for it. Ppl will rmbr him as the guy who helped Ontario get rid of Covid. The next 6-8 weeks will be critical but after that he should be smooth sailing.

On a side note... I don't think OL will survive if he were to lose. Which would cause another long delay for the project and likely wont make it to Eglinton (line 5) until 2040 at the earliest imo.

They chose a minimalist style for the stations, which I'm VERY disappointed about. Why won't we ever have beautiful subway stations?!
View attachment 313838View attachment 313839View attachment 313840
I mean in my opinion, the renderings are pretty beautiful. Beauty is subjective so they're just gonna go for something that is pretty safe as to not make future eyesores when trends change. I personally love the use of copper(or copper coloured) finishes in the renders and I think they add a super cool pop of colours that feels warm, modern, and timeless

Regarding the Ontario Line, Metrolinx has already prepared sample renderings for the line - in the new "Subway Station Architecture Design Standard". It is a set of guidelines on how new subway stations will be built, and it has tons of renderings!

Design Standard and additional renderings...

View attachment 313838View attachment 313839View attachment 313840
Old news. Posted those materials a while back.

Back