Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

When the Scarborough Rapid Transit line was first proposed, it was to have CLRV-like light rail vehicles (basically existing technology), coupled in trains, using it. Then the Progressive Conservatives at the time, forced them to use "new" technology instead, Intermediate Capacity Transit System (ICTS).

The Relief Line was originally to use existing technology, heavy rail. Now with a "new" name, the Ontario Line is to use train technology imposed by the (Progressive) Conservatives... again. Still don't know what it is.

the Ontario Line is to use train technology imposed by the (Progressive) Conservatives... again.
I think it's important to note that ICTS was an industrial sector scheme, and those do go wrong. The new approach appears to be to leave it up to the bidder, coupled with maintenance. It's way more likely you'll get something fairly "off the shelf".

I think it's important to note that ICTS was an industrial sector scheme, and those do go wrong. The new approach appears to be to leave it up to the bidder, coupled with maintenance. It's way more likely you'll get something fairly "off the shelf".

Lets build a new line, that uses something different than the rest of the network uses. The only thing missing is "in the middle of nowhere that will cause a forced transfer".

Lets build a new line, that uses something different than the rest of the network uses. The only thing missing is "in the middle of nowhere that will cause a forced transfer".
Worked well for Sydney, will likely work well for Montreal, there's no reason to believe it won't work for Toronto.

If we're going to be using a new technology for the Ontario Line, we should be thinking about other places to use it. In the past few years I've come around on the new routing, and Toronto should be reminded that rapid transit need not be bored underground. It should even prove that there is a case to be made for more value engineering in Toronto transit projects...

If we're going to be using a new technology for the Ontario Line, we should be thinking about other places to use it. In the past few years I've come around on the new routing, and Toronto should be reminded that rapid transit need not be bored underground. It should even prove that there is a case to be made for more value engineering in Toronto transit projects...
sheppard east...

Retrofitting Sheppard so it can be extended west and east above ground. With Rockets, Sheppard will never be extended. Or we will get surface LRT and the much maligned linear transfer.

Save us from dark tunnels Metrolinx!
Be careful what you wish for. Metrolinx is touting sound barriers everywhere as the cure-all for noise. For those sitting on the train, instead of having a great view of trees, or views of the city, what they will end up with is being in a canyon of graffiti.

Reactions: vic
Retrofitting Sheppard so it can be extended west and east above ground. With Rockets, Sheppard will never be extended. Or we will get surface LRT and the much maligned linear transfer.

I disagree, I think its likely Sheppard will be extended, to the west, in particular.

There is a need to be able to bring trains from Wilson Yard to the east side of the line in a more timely way.

This would make it easier to start service earlier/run it later as well; right now a lot of time gets soaked up by run time from Finch (soon to be #7) all the way back to Wilson.

While the Northern extension will likely have some train storage; its unlikely to have heavy maintenance, or sufficient capacity to resolve the the scheduling issue.

In addition to that, the TTC is openly considering extending the existing Sheppard Line stations to handle 6-car trains; that's an unlikely investment to make if one was considering converting the line to an alternate technology.

I'm not persuaded there's any case to be made in the near/medium term for Sheppard extending eastward beyond VP; nor do I think that extension is any way imminent.

Still, the notion that Sheppard will be converted isn't supported by the evidence of which I am aware.

I also think the western extension is likely, in the medium term.

Be careful what you wish for. Metrolinx is touting sound barriers everywhere as the cure-all for noise. For those sitting on the train, instead of having a great view of trees, or views of the city, what they will end up with is being in a canyon of graffiti.

You can use this example from Dundas Street West south of Dupont Street, as an example...
1608155971613.png

From link.

I disagree, I think its likely Sheppard will be extended, to the west, in particular.

There is a need to be able to bring trains from Wilson Yard to the east side of the line in a more timely way.

This would make it easier to start service earlier/run it later as well; right now a lot of time gets soaked up by run time from Finch (soon to be #7) all the way back to Wilson.

While the Northern extension will likely have some train storage; its unlikely to have heavy maintenance, or sufficient capacity to resolve the the scheduling issue.

In addition to that, the TTC is openly considering extending the existing Sheppard Line stations to handle 6-car trains; that's an unlikely investment to make if one was considering converting the line to an alternate technology.

I'm not persuaded there's any case to be made in the near/medium term for Sheppard extending eastward beyond VP; nor do I think that extension is any way imminent.

Still, the notion that Sheppard will be converted isn't supported by the evidence of which I am aware.

I also think the western extension is likely, in the medium term.
Well a ton of development is happening along sheppard even east of VP especially near Agincourt, so a subway to increase access to Agincourt GO is not out of the question. Maybe not now, but definitely in the near future a sheppard subway could make a lot of sense.

Back