Mississauga One Park Tower | ?m | 38s | Daniels | Kirkor

Mississauga is already proving you and many others wrong. A good example is the Absolute project. I recall many were calling it the end of the world because it was a “gated community†in the centre of Mississauga. A highly acclaimed international design competition, 56 and 50 storeys, a sold out building, construction in less than a year, and a Hurontario LRT announced on its front door, suddenly the project isn’t such a joke anymore.

Those are really not what I would call great examples. Unless there were some backroom dealings being made by city hall the Absolute project to have been almost entirely done on the developers initiative as a way to make more money and drive sales. And if I remember the renderings correctly, the base seemed to be rather unispired and something to desired. And the Hurontario LRT may have been announced, but announcements don't mean much and so far as I know it is still in such an early phase of planning it is going to be quite a few years before such a line is even open.

I am like most and hope that Mississauga turns into something more than suburban sprawl. But it is hard to think that when there are minimal signs of this happening. I think Mississauga is interesting and fascinating to watch grow, but much in the same way you slow down when you see an accident on the side of the highway.

Those are really not what I would call great examples. Unless there were some backroom dealings being made by city hall the Absolute project to have been almost entirely done on the developers initiative as a way to make more money and drive sales. And if I remember the renderings correctly, the base seemed to be rather unispired and something to desired. And the Hurontario LRT may have been announced, but announcements don't mean much and so far as I know it is still in such an early phase of planning it is going to be quite a few years before such a line is even open.
Actually, there was some great backroom dealings made by the Mayor's Office who pushed the developer to build something big and bold at one of Mississauga's most important intersections. I doubt such a competition could be launched and recieve such speedy planning approval from City Hall in downtown Toronto. As for the base, I would love to see an example of a great inspiring base being built at the base of condo project in downtown Toronto? You guys will find anything to down play the fact this building has recieved world wide attention and it is located in MISSISSAUGA.

As for the LRT Line, this is very real and is further along compared to the other projects announced. Please do not try to down play the significance of the project just because it is in Mississauga.

I am like most and hope that Mississauga turns into something more than suburban sprawl. But it is hard to think that when there are minimal signs of this happening. I think Mississauga is interesting and fascinating to watch grow, but much in the same way you slow down when you see an accident on the side of the highway.

Minimal signs? Where have you been lately? From farm field to booming city centre with dozens of cranes and projects underway in less than 25 years, that's nothing to see and take note of alright.

Louroz

I think Mississauga is interesting and fascinating to watch grow, but much in the same way you slow down when you see an accident on the side of the highway.

Typical of the snide, infantile, condescending crap that gets posted on this board, way too often. Grow up, children, and celebrate the good things happening in the GTA. Mississauga is not perfect, but then neither is Toronto, by a long shot. The best any of us can do is encourage the many good things happening here, no matter what the area code.

^ I'd also like that ganjavih! And I think it actually will happen, although certainly not overnight. I was one of the participants in the "Placemaking" exercise that FM speaks of (as he was, and one or two others on this forum). They are quite serious about building a real downtown. It's a challenge, as it is not being built "from scratch", as in Markham; it is being done by retrofitting an area which was part sterile suburban mall and part open fields.

The changes over the past five years have been immense.

I find this process fascinating, and not just because I happen to live in Mississauga. I'd like to know where else anything similar is being done. In Canada, only Burnaby comes to mind, although I admit I'm not actually familiar with it.

So you were the person I met! I couldn't remember who FM introduced me to.

As for the LRT Line, this is very real and is further along compared to the other projects announced.

That is good news. And I hope the college campus in MCC comes through. That would go a long way in diversifying the area in terms of population.

celebrate the good things happening in the GTA.

If we would be doing that we would all be working to intergrate our transit systems. We should all want a kick-ass GTA. We are not there yet.

KIRKOR Roofs in ON vs AB

Zephyr: ... :)

The roof isn't on yet, although I don't think it will be much longer.
Comparing the KIRKOR (KIRshblatt/KORman) Roof Crowns - One Park Tower under construction in Mississauga, ON (left); The Astoria on Tenth Avenue proposed for Calgary AB (right):

oneparktower.jpg
astoriaon10th4xu8.jpg

Your Choice Mr. Customer - With or Without French Dormer Windows? One can be claimed on backorder, the other is available on pre-order only. :)

Based only on these two images, it seems that Calgary has some way to go with residential buildings. Neither of these are of any architectural significance, but of the two, I'd choose One Park Tower in Mississauga.

The Calgary tower seems to have a superior base, though.

I'm cruious to hear your reasoning, the base of the Calgary tower is superior in what way?

Also, if I understand you correctly, you would rather take a tower with a chunky base over the overall look of a building?

Louroz

Back