Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Steel reinforced concrete makes a lot more sense for a mid-high rise residential building. You don't want large contiguous floor plates like in an office setting and you are concerned about noise and fire protection between units. As such, when you do a concrete building your structure provides both separation between units as well as excellent noise and fire protection.

As such, when you do a concrete building your structure provides both separation between units as well as excellent noise and fire protection.

....except when the units are only seperated by drywall, which is common these days.

....except when the units are only seperated by drywall, which is common these days.
Certainly when it comes to the walls that separate the units from the halls it is drywall and some sections of unit to unit are also done in drywall. But it seems that when possible the structural walls are laid out so that they provide separation between units.

In any event the current economics of mid-high rise condo construction dictate steel reinforced concrete. So if anyone still doubts that 1BE won't be concrete, you'll just have to wait and see.

Concrete wall soundproofing isn't that great when you consider all the holes that are put in it for electrical. The more holes, the less the soundproofing.

Talked to a construction dude this morning and he said the "deep pit" will be completely filled with concrete. Scheduled for this Saturday. He also said the "not as deep - but much wider pit" will also be completely filled with concrete. That's a lot of concrete!

I can't wait until 2015/2016 when this thing is up and fully cladded. It will be incredible and add sophistication to the area. People will be shocked how tall it will be! At 75 stories, it will be a minimum of 830 ft and potentially even taller.

My only regret on this project is I wish they would have put the tower at the southeast corner of the site. Yonge & Bloor would have seemed much more open and the residents would have a buffer between the tower and the busy intersection.

My only regret on this project is I wish they would have put the tower at the southeast corner of the site. Yonge & Bloor would have seemed much more open and the residents would have a buffer between the tower and the busy intersection.

There's value you in that, but you also create an impression of a tower being much taller than it actually is when you push it so close to the street. Not to mention the tower creates a buffer for the pool and the more "quite space" intended for residents on top of the podium.

Concrete wall soundproofing isn't that great when you consider all the holes that are put in it for electrical. The more holes, the less the soundproofing.

The holes don't go right through the wall, and, how is this any different from drywall?

Concrete offers more sound 'proofing' and fire proofing than drywall.

Man, that's a lot of steel, looks like they're building a ship down there.

1bn22.jpg

Back