Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

I' m surprised they want to add more floors at a time when the market by all accounts is softening.

Don't believe everything you read in the papers. Demand for downtown condos is driven by many things and most of those things will continue even during a potential softening in sales. Interest rates are still at an all time low and this project is located at a phenomenal crossroad. They could easily sell another 5 floors here and at many of the better locations downtown. I think what will suffer is the poorly designed or poorly located projects. Projects like Mirvish's, Oxford's, Holt's and eCondos should have no problem. Demand isn't gone, it's just getting more selective. This should help drive better projects than we have been seeing.

Why are there so many rumors out there about this one going to 81-storeys?

The city granted 290 meters for the site in their approval of the previous 78-storey tower. However, the current proposal uses all of the allowed density on the site. To go any taller, they would have to reduce the size of the floor plates in favor of a taller building or file a new zoning amendment application or committee of adjustment hearing. That has not happened to my knowledge. Since 1 Bloor already has the height permission, the additional density should not be too hard of a sell.

There was a site plan approval application filed on August 30, but that's about it.

Don't believe everything you read in the papers. Demand for downtown condos is driven by many things and most of those things will continue even during a potential softening in sales. Interest rates are still at an all time low and this project is located at a phenomenal crossroad. They could easily sell another 5 floors here and at many of the better locations downtown. I think what will suffer is the poorly designed or poorly located projects. Projects like Mirvish's, Oxford's, Holt's and eCondos should have no problem. Demand isn't gone, it's just getting more selective. This should help drive better projects than we have been seeing.

I would agree 100%. Location, cost psf and aesthetics will be major factors. This may keep cheaply designed condos off the market.

Why are there so many rumors out there about this one going to 81-storeys?

The city granted 290 meters for the site in their approval of the previous 78-storey tower. However, the current proposal uses all of the allowed density on the site. To go any taller, they would have to reduce the size of the floor plates in favor of a taller building or file a new zoning amendment application or committee of adjustment hearing. That has not happened to my knowledge. Since 1 Bloor already has the height permission, the additional density should not be too hard of a sell.

There was a site plan approval application filed on August 30, but that's about it.

People are using 81 storeys in reference to the 75 storeys above ground plus 6 underground levels.

…which is bizarre in the extreme because we don't use underground parking levels to calculate the number of storeys in any other building in town.

It mostly comes from the confusion surrounding the previous plan for the site, and fedplanner has the situation detailed correctly.

According to the de-watering guy they have extracted water down to the level that the builder requires. Maybe we'll see some action soon in that area. The permanent crane will be going inside that perimeter of piping.

1bo22.jpg

Thanks for the update.

And yes, since they've spray-painted "CRANE" on the wall next to the pit, I'm inclined to agree with you.

Ground looks like clay though. Pretty soft stuff thanks to all the water I suppose.

I guess we can expect to see "door" "wall" "pile of stuff for building with" and other bits of info as this progresses. All we'll need is a photo, and the wording spray painted on the site will be self explanatory. That is a novel way to plot the course of a new high rise, and great for the gawkers peering through the fence. :)

Sorry guys, but I've read so many rumours about added floors, does anyone know what the current height/floor count will be? Seems people are so hyped with all the new projects announced, they're confusing one for another, thanks! (Yeah, I know, must be my former blonde hair, now fallen out, stupid chemo, D'OH!)

Sorry guys, but I've read so many rumours about added floors, does anyone know what the current height/floor count will be? Seems people are so hyped with all the new projects announced, they're confusing one for another, thanks! (Yeah, I know, must be my former blonde hair, now fallen out, stupid chemo, D'OH!)

It's confirmed at 75 floors.

…as per the number in the thread title!

Back