Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

In fact, I would argue that flashing billboards of advertising would make this intersection unfriendly to pedestrians.

If wyliepoon's renderings are a depiction of the real thing, I'm worried.

It's not the fact that it's basically a block that bothers me so much, it's the scale and the proportioning. Can we persuade the architect and developer to put this sucker on a slimming diet? Think Atkins, baby, think skinny, think anorexia. And think taller.

Bloor-Yonge needs some dignity, not clumsiness.

aA?

LED signage doesnt have to be billboards. Billboards dont have to pedestrian unfriendly or clumsy. Ginza can outclass Yorkville, Fifth Avenue, and Rodeo drive all day. And Times Square, Ginza, Shinjuku, Picadilly Circus will get more raves for the way they interact with pedestrians than anything we'll ever be able to throw together at Yonge and Bloor. Rome was built in a day, start somewhere make it classy and glitzy and give a head start to the other new developments set to take shape in the area.

LED and classy is a contradiction in terms in my opinion. It looks downright inferior to the neon it's replacing as well. I don't know when you last saw Picadilly Circus but, there's hardly anything "ginza" left.

...Ginza can outclass Yorkville, Fifth Avenue, and Rodeo drive all day.

... make it classy and glitzy...

I realize you envy Ginza Cal. You mention it as often as possible in this thread and anything related to Yonge and Dundas, but it is a matter of cultural differences that Japan can allow "Glitz" and "Class" in the same sentence. True, the Giza is a premier shopping district, with the best of the best retailers in the world, but in North America (outside of Las Vegas) "Neon" and "Class" (or high-end stores) do not equate.

I applaud your desire to raise Toronto's world standing as a shopping destination, but I suggest you constrain your efforts to the further development of Y&D and let Yorkville just be North American classy instead.

LEDs aren't unclassy in themselves... it depends on what you do with them. Neon has a cool nostalgia factor, but there are so many more possibilities with LEDs. Look at the Louis Vuitton store in Las Vegas:

[video=youtube;zBr1uohjDCM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBr1uohjDCM[/video]

or the Armani store in New York:

[video=youtube;mu_4qCaD-SY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu_4qCaD-SY[/video]

I like them blinkenlights.

Yes, those are examples of it being used in a classy and tasteful sense by designer stores and such. Nobody said LEDs or Neon lights are inherently bad. That's not the argument here. The concern here is more with the idea of the same principles used at Yonge-Dundas being applied at this corner too.

If wyliepoon's renderings are a depiction of the real thing, I'm worried.

It's not the fact that it's basically a block that bothers me so much, it's the scale and the proportioning. Can we persuade the architect and developer to put this sucker on a slimming diet? Think Atkins, baby, think skinny, think anorexia. And think taller.

Bloor-Yonge needs some dignity, not clumsiness.

aA?

Help!...I searched the thread and can't find the renderings by Wylie you are talking about. Where are they?

Thanks for that, Redroom! I appreciate it. I like the basic idea of the building, but seeing it in the skyline rendering, I agree with a few others that it looks like an "incomplete" story being told. Sorry for waxing poetic. A couple of thoughts.....maybe they are looking to add floors that will "complete the story". If so, and even if not, I'd like to see the shape of box address the "swirl" forms as it progresses to the top. Additional floors would allow them to do this. If the building could only taper and twist only so slightly and perhaps have a crown that compliments it.....I'd be ecstatic. Also, I hope that the base somehow implements the swirl form so it doesn't look like a box that the tower has been just been set down on.

True, the Giza is a premier shopping district, with the best of the best retailers in the world, but in North America (outside of Las Vegas) "Neon" and "Class" (or high-end stores) do not equate.

Though Michael Hayden did give class to Yorkdale Subway Station back in the day
spare-0008-05.jpg

I miss those neon lights at Yorkdale so much! I really wish they'd bring them back. I always remember arriving back into Toronto as a kid and seeing them and feeling like the city was "even more futuristic"!

Help!...I searched the thread and can't find the renderings by Wylie you are talking about. Where are they?

ceaz40 ... wyliepoon's renderings can be found page 50, post # 746

wylie, thanks for the great sketchup models, surely help with the visioning of the new 1BE ...

I think the biggest difference between Chicago's Aqua and the new 1BE is that Great Gulf's design will include glass balcony railings which will help to bring out (through reflection) the curves in the wavey balconies, as opposed to Aqua's metal balcony railings which did not help to define/enhance the irregular building shape

I did a quick Sketchup model of the building, assuming a height of ~220m. Here's how an Aqua-like N1B might look on the Toronto skyline of the future...

4352478157_058c898be3_b.jpg

4353224306_83d0951e9a_b.jpg

4352478239_f2b2c4dd08_b.jpg

4352478301_a2b8d0fab1_b.jpg

4352478357_2345043d80_b.jpg

4353224552_b6c297afcf_b.jpg

4352478457_bb63aed692_b.jpg

Thanks for re-posting those; Wylie's work really is remarkable.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I like the strong, upward-moving, almost uplifting shapes the balconies make; it turns the building into a bit of a beacon. I'd be a bit worried about the mechanical at the top, if that's accurate. The building looks like it needs to borrow Casa's hat to cover up.

Back