Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

i count 58 floors and not much of a podium

4352012584_7cbf885928_o.jpg

I'm a little worried about it since I'm not a real fan of the Aqua tower in Chicago that it reminds me of. However, whenever things appear awkward to me at first in Toronto (OCAD, ROM etc..) I seem to be hesitant at first but then end up liking the variety they add to the city after I get used to them. Need to see a better shot of the podium too. That is the probably the most important thing.

I just don't like how there's no resolution of all the curving features at the top of the tower; rather there is just an abrupt conclusion of them. Very awkward and amateur looking.

I'm liking this first glimpse of Number One Bloor's exterior ... this looks WAY better than Bazis' 1 Bloor project!

I'm loving the curving lines created by the morphing shapes of the balconies ~

It's a very fashionable box structure, in all truth, but I concur - architecturally more engaging than Bazis' proposal (from what I can see, anyway). Hopefully the views from each angle will deliver a similar experience. So far I'm pleasantly surprised.

I just don't like how there's no resolution of all the curving features at the top of the tower; rather there is just an abrupt conclusion of them. Very awkward and amateur looking.

Good point! I was trying to put my finger on it.... the abrupt resolution really reminds us that it's a box, and those are balconies. Some sort of continuation of the motif is needed.

Bazis' proposal was also more unique for Toronto with its roof feature. These curves aren't enough to make it stand out. Curved balconies look better on the MET, Market Wharf, Clear Spirit, etc.

I'm hoping the building is oriented northwest and the podium is staggered all the way down to the street giving the whole site a very topographical feel. The curves remind me of the Absolute (Marilyn Monroe) Tower in Mississauga. If this is done right it's going to add a very dramatic element to Yonge/Bloor and could play a big part in resurrecting the intersection.

The roof is supposed to gently slope at the top like Ritz, you just can't see it clearly enough.

It's going to take a while to fully digest this render. My first impression is that I like it. We need to have a look at the podium, which in my opinion might make or break this building.

I do think that it is superior to the Bazis design.

my guess .... may be triangular in shape vs. a box, occupying the NE/SE/SW corners with a streetwall podium along Yonge St and some Bloor St E.

Bazis' proposal was also more unique for Toronto with its roof feature. These curves aren't enough to make it stand out. Curved balconies look better on the MET, Market Wharf, Clear Spirit, etc.

Really? That was the feature I disliked the most about that proposal. I thought it looked stark and brooding, and I got the sense that there wasn't a whole lot of thought that went into it. It looked more like uncovered structural support to me than an actual design element. I'll miss the height of that proposal and the slender silhouette from certain angles, but good riddance to the roof element.

Whats with the birds in the rendering?

Same reason all the shots of Rome and colosseums in Gladiator were filled with flocking birds and fluttering rose petals and rays of sun...when an impression of majesty! soaring! happy! wow! doesn't quite materialize with a shot of the building itself, the answer is to fill the visual up with shiny moving things.

This version of One Bloor should be interesting from street/eye level, which is more important than what it adds to the skyline from afar. I still prefer the proposal from two incarnations ago, the multi-curving tower massed kind of like the Columbia Seafirst Center, though I'm saying this without having seen a proper 3D view.

So if you include the podium, how many floors to you get?

Are we looking at 63 to 65 floors.. or could it be more? Can anyone make an accurate guess by blowing up the render
and doing a really detailed count.

Just by looking at the podium and the tower above I think this one easily flys by 62 floors.

Oh, yeah.....

Love this rendering but it looks like there's a second tower. So is this a 1 or 2 tower project?

Back