Toronto One Bedford | ?m | 32s | Lanterra | KPMB

I wonder how they will deal with signage along Bloor here because the commercial units are two levels and large signs would block the window for the second level. Also, will they include canopies? Any benches along here? Will there be any other features to differentiate the different units along there, because it is such a straight line of doors right now and not very interesting from a pedestrian level. Also, it is too bad about another bank branch taking up the corner. It is obvious how profitable our banks are given how many branches we have in prime spaces. The facade historicism is terrible here because it is so two-dimensional and overwhelmed by the building; I hope RCMP doesn't look this bad.

Edit: yes, I meant RCMI above.

Last edited:
I wonder how they will deal with signage along Bloor here because the commercial units are two levels and large signs would block the window for the second level. Also, will they include canopies? Any benches along here? Will there be any other features to differentiate the different units along there, because it is such a straight line of doors right now and not very interesting from a pedestrian level. Also, it is too bad about another bank branch taking up the corner. It is obvious how profitable our banks are given how many branches we have in prime spaces. The facade historicism is terrible here because it is so two-dimensional and overwhelmed by the building; I hope RCMP doesn't look this bad.

It's hardly overwhelmed; the heritage facade is set back in a court; it is centered as a focal piece in this little court that cuts in from the street and creates a cute feature. It doesn't compete with the rest of the project; but rather can be viewed in its context of the small court that cuts off of Bedford Avenue.

As for retail unit differentiation along Bloor- I expect we'll see canopies and other signage here. Don't worry.

24 October 2010:

dsc01455w.jpg

dsc01454v.jpg

Love that first pic........with the fog, ROM looks like a spaceship has landed!

Anyone know if that BMO branch has already opened?

Think it would have worked better if they painted that fence type thing at the top, the same color as the window trim. Still pretty crappy regardless.

If the materials were better (say limestone) it would fit in more.

Does anyone know for sure whether the facade is some kind of stone, or concrete? Earlier in the thread, someone commented on the pre-cast in some close-up photos, but then someone else said it was stone.

Overall, looks like a fairly typical example of a Toronto Style high-rise...

If the materials were better (say limestone) it would fit in more.

I believe the facade is clad with limestone, except for certain structural sections. It definitely looks like real stone cladding with all the slight variations in tone between panels, except it's a neutral and bland stone. (The stone might actually darken and weather, assuming a more interesting look over time.) Anyway, the heritage facade doesn't fit in because its windows are aligned with a structural part of the building. No effort was made to establish a design relationship between the two facades.

The worst example of facadism I've ever seen... they didn't even try...

Ah come on, it's inoccuous enough. 100 years from now I can see it as a little tidbit in an urban tour guide that directs one to watch out for an unexpected 'folly' at this location. These kind of layers are what make the urban fabric interesting, if not aesthetically 'perfect'.

Ah come on, it's inoccuous enough. 100 years from now I can see it as a little tidbit in an urban tour guide that directs one to watch out for an unexpected 'folly' at this location. These kind of layers are what make the urban fabric interesting, if not aesthetically 'perfect'.

I agree -- it's clear the intent here is not to preserve the full streetscape facade, but just this little bit of one building as a tribute. It's no more crass pandering to history than the facade of the 1890's Merchant's Bank stuck under the very modern galleria of Brookfield (BCE) Place.

I agree -- it's clear the intent here is not to preserve the full streetscape facade, but just this little bit of one building as a tribute. It's no more crass pandering to history than the facade of the 1890's Merchant's Bank stuck under the very modern galleria of Brookfield (BCE) Place.

Except that it's a matter of execution, too--there's a "token" pathos here that the BCE facade (which is 1840s, not 1890s) lacks.

And remember, too, that they weren't even planning to save the facade, until historical buffs yelled and the Preservation Board dictated otherwise. So, there's an element of "there!!! here's your effing facade!!!" here...

Back