News   May 07, 2024
 445     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 374     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 333     0 

Toronto of the Future Exhibit at Metro Hall, June 1 to 5

It's not a proposal, folks! Just a "futuristic" render of the waterfront from the "Future of Toronto" conference that was over the weekend. Redpath is not going away in the foreseeable future.

No thankyou. Tacky architecture belongs in Calgary.

I don't really understand you.. Why would you have a generic looking city filled with glass boxes and offset balconies?

For a self-proclaimed purveyor of fine taste in architecture, you leave a lot to be desired sometimes!

All these condos built with cheap glass walls are a timebomb for Toronto. Replacing the glass every 20 years or less will make them unaffordable.

What happened to the city's idea that no more than 40% of a wall could be glass?

(referring to Urbandreamer's comment on the previous page)

And tasteful, glass boxes belong in Toronto? If those are my only 2 options, I'll take tacky.

I went to this show and enjoyed it, by the way.

Last edited:
It's not a proposal, folks! Just a "futuristic" render of the waterfront from the "Future of Toronto" conference that was over the weekend. Redpath is not going away in the foreseeable future.

Thank Gawd! I can't imagine living without the beautiful Redpath!

All these condos built with cheap glass walls are a timebomb for Toronto. Replacing the glass every 20 years or less will make them unaffordable.

What happened to the city's idea that no more than 40% of a wall could be glass?

It wasn't the city's idea. It is an amendment to the Ontario Building Code.

It doesn't specify that only 40% of a wall can be glass, just that only 40% of the wall assembly can be vision glass. You could still clad the wall in glass, with spandrels behind the unit. I believe that the code will also allow you to exceed that 40% if you can show in your building energy model that you are offsetting the energy costs somewhere else.

Last edited:
I repeat: tacky architecture and glass boxes have nothing to do with each other. I appreciate many styles & shapes but a cheap piece of crap will always be a cheap piece of crap.

Examples of great modern architecture I love ATM that would look great on the Waterfront:
1) Paris remixed.

2) 1500 West Georgia Vancouver--last week's RPS :D

3) Norway: LINK Arkitektur
or http://linkarkitektur.com/var/linka.../343478-1-nor-NO/Elseso_fp_proj_slide_img.jpg

4)And thousands--yes thousands! more architects world wide I love!

Last edited:

There aren't that many towers with truly low-grade cladding products. The lowest quality glass will probably have to be replaced in a couple of decades, but I bet the higher quality glass will be practical for at least 50 years. When condo management has to replace the glass after just two decades, they probably won't want to go with the cheap stuff again. The south facades of the towers at City Hall were only recently reclad with new glass in 2011--a lifespan of 46 years. That's almost 50 years for a single-pane product from the 1960s. Technology has improved since then.

Back