Toronto OCAD U: 100 McCaul | 39.4m | 9s | OCADU | Morphosis

seems like it would make more sense for OCAD to purchase and renovate the Malabar building down the street rather than a costly new build..

seems like it would make more sense for OCAD to purchase and renovate the Malabar building down the street rather than a costly new build..
The selling price of the Malabar building will reflect what the buyer believes they can recoup through building a much larger building on that site. The City won't want to lose the commercial space of the Malabar building though, so maybe OCAD could partner with a residential developer on multi-use project there?

The Malabar building's listing is still active and available for $21,500,000. The upcoming Lotto Max jackpot is a cool $55 million this Friday right? ?

The selling price of the Malabar building will reflect what the buyer believes they can recoup through building a much larger building on that site. The City won't want to lose the commercial space of the Malabar building though, so maybe OCAD could partner with a residential developer on multi-use project there?

maybe a mini table top above the Malabar building to house artist studios and artist designed hotel rooms? :) retrofit the existing heritage building for classrooms and a small shop/cafe.

I like the idea of OCAD expanding in the neighbourhood and creating an OCAD campus around Grange Park. However, I really think the next logical step is the one they’re taking, completing the main building and refurbishing the old part of that building.

From there, I’d rather they acquire the community centre/daycare property and then build something completely new with a new community centre facing the park.

IMG_2096.jpeg

I like the idea of OCAD expanding in the neighbourhood and creating an OCAD campus around Grange Park. However, I really think the next logical step is the one they’re taking, completing the main building and refurbishing the old part of that building.

From there, I’d rather they acquire the community centre/daycare property and then build something completely new with a new community centre facing the park.

They really don't have that kind of money. An addition on the main building is a great start and I suspect they'll continue to pick up parts of buildings around the area (MFA and Language studies are down on Richmond for instance).

They really don't have that kind of money. An addition on the main building is a great start and I suspect they'll continue to pick up parts of buildings around the area (MFA and Language studies are down on Richmond for instance).
They could go deeply in debt. Apparently debt doesn't matter anymore.

I confess, I'm rather with @MetroMan on the existing building.

Now I had never thought of OCAD there.

But I had long hoped they would have acquired the Otis building (now being condofied) and shift the community Centre to McCaul; that would have allowed the closure of the stub road, an extension of the park to McCaul, and an enlargement of the park in the centre.

That option is now foreclosed.

But I still think there's an opportunity to use the University Settlement site more efficiently.

I wouldn't want to see 'tall' here as it would block the southern sun from the park, but a 'tall 2' or short 3 storey building, making use of space below grade could allow a tighter footprint, with a better relationship to the park and more functional layout for renewed facility.

Whether such a facility could provide much extra square footage to OCAD without sacrificing existing programming is something of which I am uncertain.

I confess, I'm rather with @MetroMan on the existing building.

Now I had never thought of OCAD there.

But I had long hoped they would have acquired the Otis building (now being condofied) and shift the community Centre to McCaul; that would have allowed the closure of the stub road, an extension of the park to McCaul, and an enlargement of the park in the centre.

That option is now foreclosed.

But I still think there's an opportunity to use the University Settlement site more efficiently.

I wouldn't want to see 'tall' here as it would block the southern sun from the park, but a 'tall 2' or short 3 storey building, making use of space below grade could allow a tighter footprint, with a better relationship to the park and more functional layout for renewed facility.

Whether such a facility could provide much extra square footage to OCAD without sacrificing existing programming is something of which I am uncertain.

If there is an ideal alternate use for that site, it would be increasing the footprint of Grange Park.

AoD

If there is an alternate use for that site, it would be increasing the footprint of Grange Park.

AoD

I'd be happy enough with that, excepting that the functions located in the community centre would have to be relocated nearby.

The Harrison Baths site is due to be repurposed, but it's not all that large.....

OCAD University to Redesign Butterfield Park
OCAD University will be undertaking the redesign of Butterfield Park, thanks to funding from the TD Bank. Butterfield Park is the only outdoor space, at street level, on campus.
The design objectives for the project are to:
  • Reflect OCAD U core values outlined in the Academic Plan: Sustainability, Accessibility, Inclusivity, Diversity, Equity, Indigenous Culture and Heritage;
  • Facilitate various types of activities with attention to layout, furniture, grading and surface texture;
  • Respond to the urban context in a creative and inspiring way;
  • Provide opportunities to integrate public art in the park; and
  • Create a durable and easy to maintain park environment
PFS Studio (the same landscape architect firm that redesigned Grange Park) will lead the design process in collaboration with Two Row Architect, as the Indigenous consultant.
Consultation and Feedback
There will be opportunities for the community to provide input on the project.

Save the date for the first public consultation meeting to be held online on Tuesday, July 21 starting at 5:30 pm. Agenda, further details and login information to follow.
Timeline
Consultation, planning and design will begin in July and continue into the fall with a preliminary phase of implementation expected to commence in spring/summer 2021. Progress updates in general will be shared, regularly.
As the province and city begin to open up with caution, there is opportunity to imagine how this space will support our community to flourish in both familiar and new ways.

Please reach out to creativecitycampus@ocadu.ca with any questions or concerns, and feel free to share this news with your networks.

Back