Toronto Oben Flats Leslieville | 23.47m | 6s | Oben Flats | superkül

We have a story up about Oben Lofts on the front page now, and yes, it's a brand name and a company that will be opening a number of design-forward rental buildings around Toronto, with four properties opening in the next 2 years.

This one passed at Community Council on May 13th (see http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2014/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-68803.pdf), now down to six storeys, and will go to City Council for approval on June 10th.

Good to hear that this passed but it should have been approved at the original height. 8 storeys should never be an issue on streetcar lines.

We have a story up about Oben Lofts on the front page now, and yes, it's a brand name and a company that will be opening a number of design-forward rental buildings around Toronto, with four properties opening in the next 2 years.

This one passed at Community Council on May 13th (see http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2014/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-68803.pdf), now down to six storeys, and will go to City Council for approval on June 10th.

I'm told there's no market for this kind of high end rental product but good luck to them anyway.

I dunno. You may be right CN Tower but I can also think of downsizing couples who have unloaded their homes but still want the urban lifestyle and a pedestrian-friendly, amenities-rich environment that's fairly central.... and then there's the youthful end of the market that want style and location, location location but aren't yet ready/convinced to buy into the condo market.

If they actually offer the kind of high-end quality they're hyping, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the concept should find success.

Last edited:
Having just sourced a condo for my mom and being the owner of apartments in the beaches, I can tell you they can get $2700-$3000 monthly for a 2 bedroom apartment(as long as it is designed well and sits over 1100 square feet) plus hydro. I bet their proforma works just fine with those numbers.
I dunno. You may be right CN Tower but I can also think of downsizing couples who have unloaded their homes but still want the urban lifestyle and a pedestrian-friendly, amenities-rich environment that's fairly central.... and then there's the youthful end of the market that want style and location, location location but aren't yet ready/convinced to buy into the condo market.

If they acutally offer the kind of high-end quality they're hyping, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the concept should find success.

From the front page article
Parking is accessed off a rear lane, and is serviced by a hydraulic parking stacker system.

So that's like the parking system Japan is known for? I wonder if this is this first one like it in Toronto? I can see how it would make sense, it uses space more efficiently than regular underground parking garages. And underground parking garages require a certain minimum size that some small sites can't accomodate, so in such cases especially, this would make sense. I'm sure it's a bit more expensive per sf, but considering you need less sf per car, and underground garages are already quite expensive per sf, maybe it even makes sense where the site is big enough for an underground garage?

16423626255_699176a715_b.jpg

16235989428_7ccd613245_b.jpg

16236235730_76db0e2bd6_b.jpg

Crane going up this morning

Back