Toronto O2 Toronto | 48.16m | 14s | Identity | P + S / IBI

Limiting just the height of the new building out of spite isn't a good idea. You either limit the entire design of the building to what was there before and thus mandate it to be rebuilt or nothing.

The city doesn't have any control over design. If the project meets zoning requirements and configures to the OP then the city has no choice but to give them approval. The only thing the city can really do is limit the height of the building, but that would also not be allowed since the property owner purchased the building before the amendment. He/She would have the right to appeal any changes and most likely win.

If the site is not zoned for a 20 storey tower at the moment though, the city does not need to approve the project... but why wouldn't they? Its money in the bank.

Last edited:
The city could restrict the density according to zoning, which would only limit the design to a low-rise or THs.

The city doesn't have any control over design. If the project meets zoning requirements and configures to the OP then the city has no choice but to give them approval. The only thing the city can really do is limit the height of the building, but that would also not be allowed since the property owner purchased the building before the amendment. He/She would have the right to appeal any changes and most likely win.

If the site is not zoned for a 20 storey tower at the moment though, the city does not need to approve the project... but why wouldn't they? Its money in the bank.

But there has to be room for an exception in a rare case such like this.

I realized I had never really seen a picture of Walnut Hall, despite the fact that I moved nearby shortly after it fell apart and walk by the site a few times a week.

777px-WalnutHall.jpg

It's amazing how bad they let it get. And, again, this wasn't some private owner. This was our government:

212229684_69a01ee1ed.jpg

What kills me, as well, as it's not like this is some remote, desolate part of the city. This is less than a kilometre from Yonge/Dundas. Down the street from Massey Hall. Insane.

They're slated to build a 20s hotel (A Hampton Inn, IIRC) in the lot directly to the west of this, as well. Could make for an odd mix.

But there has to be room for an exception in a rare case such like this.

The developer would be able to appeal if the city even tried and the OMB would take their side. Even if the OMB sided with the city, the developer would be able to take it to the courts.

It's amazing how bad they let it get. And, again, this wasn't some private owner. This was our government:.

The Walnut Hall Building did NOT belong to the City it had a private owner. The City got him/her to do some repairs about a year before it partially collapsed. At that point the City decided it was too unsafe to leave and demolished it, and billed the owner. Perhaps the City could have done more to stabliise the building before it collapsed, perhaps they could have saved some of it after it collapsed - who knows?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's amazing how bad they let it get. And, again, this wasn't some private owner. This was our government:.

Walnut Hall Building did NOT belong to the City it had a private owner. The City got him/her to do some repairs about a year before it partially collapsed. At that point the City decided it was too unsafe to leave and demolished it, and billed the owner. Perhaps the City could have done more to stabliise the building before it collapsed, perhaps they could have saved some of it after it collapsed - who knows?

The building fell into its state of disrepair during the years when it was owned by the RCMP, no?

The Walnut Hall Building did NOT belong to the City it had a private owner. The City got him/her to do some repairs about a year before it partially collapsed. At that point the City decided it was too unsafe to leave and demolished it, and billed the owner. Perhaps the City could have done more to stabliise the building before it collapsed, perhaps they could have saved some of it after it collapsed - who knows?

The building fell into its state of disrepair during the years when it was owned by the RCMP, no?

Yes, it was neglected for many years until the building collapsed on itself last year.

Why would anyone think of any other outcome? Nothing in the way of heritage conservation comes to mind when I think of the City of Toronto - our politicians are far to concerned with keeping their jobs and making sure they get a salary increase than to actually worry about things happening within the city. While it might not be the most significant building, it is the action, or lack there of that counts.

Most often developers have the city in their pocket to the tune of "new development," that the city is reluctant to make too many requests of them and down the buildings come- or most of it. Our heritage is not in retaining facades of the building - naturally, some cases will not allow for anything but the retention, but in all honesty, we do not try hard enough to fit our needs and really what it boils down to is profit vs. cost. And ultimately this is how they justify it to the city. "We can't afford the restoration" ; "we need to design for tomorrow" ; "we are building a better building for tomorrow" "our plans call for more dynamic spaces" ; "we can't make it work, its just not workable" and the list goes on- believe me I have heard them all.

I think once all we have left are the few token heritage properties in the city and a multitude of facades we will suddenly realize that history came and went and no one cared enough or felt it worth their while (sic. money) to maintain anything. You may call me an alarmist, but I have spoken with a number of highly respected restoration architects and most say the same things - "we just don't care enough!"

p5

City Planning Request for Directions Report

According to the report, this project is designed by Page+Steele Architects :)

For consideration by Toronto and East York Community Council on Sept 15/09:

The applicant has appealed the Official Plan Amendment and Zoning By-law Amendment to the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB) due to Council’s failure to make a decision within the time allotted by the Planning Act. A pre-hearing conference is scheduled to be held September 28, 2009. A full hearing date has not yet been scheduled.

The application before the Ontario Municipal Board proposes to amend the Official Plan and the Zoning By-law to permit a 20 storey residential condominium building with 69 units. The base of the building includes three 2-storey townhouses fronting on Shuter Street. There are 56 parking spaces proposed within a four level underground garage accessed from an existing public lane. A valet will take cars to the underground garage via a car elevator.

The purpose of this report is to seek Council’s direction on the appeal of this
application to the Ontario Municipal Board.

The proposal is inappropriate and too intense a form of development for this site. The proposed height and density considerably exceed that permitted in the Official Plan, the Zoning By-law and that of the previous Ontario Municipal Board approval, which was granted based on the premise of preserving the historical building which once existed on site and has since been demolished.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-23067.pdf

A hotel? In this neighbourhood? Anyone know how many hotels are there in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside?

There are already 2 not even a 5 minute walk away from this site (one pretty much next door), so its nothing new. By the way... I live in this area. It doesn't even compare to Vancouver's east side.

The collapse of Walnut Hall, is such a depressing story. But it fits in very nicely with all the other treasures the city has demolished over the past 60 years.

There are already 2 not even a 5 minute walk away from this site (one pretty much next door), so its nothing new. By the way... I live in this area. It doesn't even compare to Vancouver's east side.
I lived in the area until about four years ago and I say it does. As for all the hotels already lining one of the worst stretches of street in the city, Jarvis from Carlton to Shuter, I don't think this is the face of Toronto we ought to be showing visitors. However, we should be showing it to ourselves and taking more steps to alleviate the suffering that's so prevalent there.

Last edited:

Back