Toronto Novus at Garrison Point | 119.17m | 34s | BentallGreenOak | Hariri Pontarini

Acceptance of the inevitability is the best answer to coping with any situation.
But on a more serious note, I feel like this location will self-adjust traffic-wise. Having gridlock traffic at the intersection will force a lot of residents to reconsider public transit and cycling as viable commuting options, relieving the traffic congestion in the process. Moreover, once the Smart Track stations are built, there shouldn't be any issues for this area whatsoever.

What public transit? Transit in this part of the city doesn't suffer from low ridership. A half dozen towers within a stone's throw will be completed in a few years. Any transit improvements is still preliminary and unfunded.. Cycling is fine and dandy but, we don't have a moderate climate that makes it practical as a daily commute. Some manage but, it's very niche for days like today.

What public transit? Transit in this part of the city doesn't suffer from low ridership. A half dozen towers within a stone's throw will be completed in a few years. Any transit improvements is still preliminary and unfunded.. Cycling is fine and dandy but, we don't have a moderate climate that makes it practical as a daily commute. Some manage but, it's very niche for days like today.
Having taken the 504 from Roncys to the core a couple of times in the last 2 weeks during the morning rush hour, I don't understand what the fuss is about. The streetcar never got packed beyond capacity going through Liberty. Yes, you won't have a place to sit, but you can at least get on, no problem. Compare that to 501, where past Dufferin, it may as well not bother stopping. Plus you have the Exhibition loop within walking distance for some parts of Liberty. I'm not sure what the whole fuss is about regarding transit service of that area as is, let alone the fact that the Smart Track station is coming.

Having taken the 504 from Roncys to the core a couple of times in the last 2 weeks during the morning rush hour, I don't understand what the fuss is about. The streetcar never got packed beyond capacity going through Liberty. Yes, you won't have a place to sit, but you can at least get on, no problem. Compare that to 501, where past Dufferin, it may as well not bother stopping. Plus you have the Exhibition loop within walking distance for some parts of Liberty. I'm not sure what the whole fuss is about regarding transit service of that area as is, let alone the fact that the Smart Track station is coming.

Agreed. The 504 is reasonably functional. Yes sometimes very busy, and yes if you're shy about pushing in you might have to wait for another car. And because City Council is stupid enough to allow streetcars to languish in mixed car traffic, there is sometimes a delay or spacing issues. But overall it works pretty well. And cycling is a real option in this area -- there are great, reasonably safe and quiet cycling routes -- across Wellington in particular.

Except for all of the other northern cities where cycling in the winter is perfectly normal. Cycling infrastructure is demonstrably one of the few cases where if you build it, they will come.

Except for all of the other northern cities where cycling in the winter is perfectly normal. Cycling infrastructure is demonstrably one of the few cases where if you build it, they will come.
It isn't really practical on days like today with all the snow on the ground - but Toronto gets, what, two weeks a year of this type of heavy snow cover? The rest of the year is great for cycling. Most of Toronto's winters seem to hover around freezing these days, which is perfectly acceptable biking weather.

There is a fair amount of parking being added between all the buildings - Strachan will be busier, but most of the traffic on Strachan is north of East Liberty anyway and most cars will likely flow south to Lake Shore. They are adding a right turn lane for northbound Strachan at the intersection as well which should help things a little. I don't think it'll be all that bad.

it's a shame the parking ratios in this area are so high - a lot of those condos in LV have a ton of parking in them by downtown core standards (base by-law rates from my understanding).

Liberty village is getting a GO station that should be here in about 6 years - not too long after all these buildings finish up. Hopefully that will cut a lot of car trips.

King and Strachan could really use a subway station though. The density will definitely be there.

It isn't really practical on days like today with all the snow on the ground - but Toronto gets, what, two weeks a year of this type of heavy snow cover? The rest of the year is great for cycling. Most of Toronto's winters seem to hover around freezing these days, which is perfectly acceptable biking weather.
They make studded bicycle tires for days like today. I've seen people in the interior BC cycling in much heavier snow cover and much lower temperatures. But then again, people outside of Toronto are not snowflakes. Every time a torontonian complains about the snow, I'm instantly reminded of this comedic gem:
For the record, I would have been commuting by bike right now if the frame of my only not-stolen bike didn't snap a couple of weeks ago.

They make studded bicycle tires for days like today. I've seen people in the interior BC cycling in much heavier snow cover and much lower temperatures. But then again, people outside of Toronto are not snowflakes. Every time a torontonian complains about the snow, I'm instantly reminded of this comedic gem:
For the record, I would have been commuting by bike right now if the frame of my only not-stolen bike didn't snap a couple of weeks ago.
I didn't say it's impossible - just not practical for most of the population. I'm a cyclist about 10 months a year - January and February I usually only manage to ride a few times a month. The other 10 months are basically every day. Snow cover is possible to overcome, but conditions like below exist for about a month in Toronto a year - the vast majority of cyclists don't consider this to be a comfortable ride. I know that maintenance needs to be improved - but still.

I still swear by biking, but I think the argument that "biking is 100% possible 100% of the year!" is silly. For most people, it isn't. It doesn't mean that cycling infrastructure is useless though.

2241425601_5a78ac5c0e.jpg

https://www.ibiketo.ca/taxonomy/term/8?page=17

I didn't say it's impossible - just not practical for most of the population. I'm a cyclist about 10 months a year - January and February I usually only manage to ride a few times a month. The other 10 months are basically every day. Snow cover is possible to overcome, but conditions like below exist for about a month in Toronto a year - the vast majority of cyclists don't consider this to be a comfortable ride. I know that maintenance needs to be improved - but still.

I still swear by biking, but I think the argument that "biking is 100% possible 100% of the year!" is silly. For most people, it isn't. It doesn't mean that cycling infrastructure is useless though.

2241425601_5a78ac5c0e.jpg

https://www.ibiketo.ca/taxonomy/term/8?page=17

True. I sometimes forget that most people actually have to ride the streets, not trails. I am fortunate to live right beside the Matrin Goodman trail and it covers 95% of my commuting distance. The trail is much better maintained than the bike lane in your post, making it viable year-round.

I actually biked to work everyday for 8 months before a serious accident involving a barricaded right lane and streetcar tracks. I can tell you it was a miserable experience in Toronto by comparison to other northern European cities i have and still spend time in. It's not just vastly superior infrastructure. Our weather just sucks.

My local councilor is a cycling nut and had bike lanes installed throughout the neighbourhood. It hasn't encouraged more people to cycle. Like with transit, highways, etc., the routes have to be planned well and efficient to get people to come .No one uses the bike lanes installed on steep inclines on one busy street Past and current cyclists still prefer to conquer the hills on local residential streets. The busy street is now a parking lot to traffic which, on UT, is apparently a good thing.

Most people that i know don't ride a bike on the road from mid December to mid March, saying it gets sketchy riding next to cars in the snow and extreme cold
I biked almost every day right up until the christmas break this year. I imagine that by early March I'll be back again - and a bit in between on clear days.

Biking in -2 degree weather is actually very pleasant - just need to put on gloves and a hat. The cold keeps you from sweating as easily.The only thing that really stops me is snow cover as it gets very easy to slip out and if you don't have splash pants your clothes get dirty.

Most people that i know don't ride a bike on the road from mid December to mid March, saying it gets sketchy riding next to cars in the snow and extreme cold
Yup, you've gotta have another winter biking wardrobe, and hopefully a place to clean up at the non-home end of any trip. Meanwhile, I have a good friend who hit a small patch of ice the other day that left some marks on him: winter cycling is more treacherous, no two ways around it. For me, it's the transit time of year!

Back