Mississauga North Shore Condos | ?m | 22s | FRAM + Slokker | Giannone Petricone

Yeah, this is the one part of Mississauga that gets "it".

It must be due to the mere mention of the possibility of the Lakeshore streetcar someday, maybe, possibly extending to Port Credit and thus through the miracle of LRT southern Mississauga will be transformed into a magical European UrbanLandâ„¢

The part of Mississauga that gets it?
Maybe that has something to do with the fact that it has existed long before many other parts of Mississauga. It already had an urban feel, so to add to it is fairly easy.

That's what makes the rest of the place all the more tragic - that they already have a perfectly good existing example of urban form in Port Credit that should have provided the model. And to be fair, Toronto is just as guilty, if not even more so - a large, urban older part yet the massive inner suburbs are bleak, car oriented doldrums.

That's what makes the rest of the place all the more tragic - that they already have a perfectly good existing example of urban form in Port Credit that should have provided the model. And to be fair, Toronto is just as guilty, if not even more so - a large, urban older part yet the massive inner suburbs are bleak, car oriented doldrums.

You can't really blame the city. It was a train of thought... suburbs were the way of the future. Everyone should take equal responsibility for what happened. At least the GTA caught on before it became too late.

You can't really blame the city. It was a train of thought... suburbs were the way of the future. Everyone should take equal responsibility for what happened. At least the GTA caught on before it became too late.

As much as we'd love for the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s etc. to have never happened, they did, and we'll just have to deal with it. The next few decades for the GTA will be about infilling/brownfield development etc. Maybe a little razing and replacing. But the days of greenfield suburban expansion are very likely at an end.

Feb 04 visited

Starting to put up the steel on the roof.
IMG_feb-04-10-0001.jpg

IMG_feb-04-10-0010.jpg

IMG_feb-04-10-0012.jpg

IMG_feb-04-10-0014.jpg

The architects working on this building are cool thirty-somethings, which explains why this is a cool building.

It's pretty well all in the family in terms of the entire vision for Port Credit Village from the older generation to the kids that are also involved (which would make them 5th generation builders).

What's great about the turn to International Style architecture inspiring these new condos is that in areas with many of those old rental towers, the new towers really help to uplift the area. Suddenly what was a crop of generic Modernist towers becomes a cohesive backdrop to the new towers which often have better designs. Also, in renovating the old towers, owners can use off the shelf new materials that are more likely to enhance the old towers, like frosted glass balcony railings.

Last edited:
You can see it from Elm Dr now about 4km away
[video=youtube;DfAzlrVUVj0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfAzlrVUVj0[/video]

That's a very naughty parking lot there! (I find it ironic how these public transit lines require acres of nasty parking lots in order to survive. I also find it silly watching GO trains whiz by in the Junction, seeing all these boring people going home from their tedious 9-5 jobs downtown. What's the appeal of taking the train, then transferring to either another bus or private car for the final leg home? I just will never understand some people I guess....)

Because driving all the way into the city, and then parking for an entire day is a nightmare? Train takes you right to Union and costs less than the $20+ per day parking fees.

It may come as a surprise to you, but not everyone wants to live downtown. Now I don't really like the suburban style of living personally, so I'm not saying that I fully agree with these commuters' choices, but regardless there are obviously a lot of people who prefer it. These people probably value the increased inside and outside space that they get for their money, versus what you'd get for an equivalent price downtown; though Port Credit is on the pricier side of Mississauga from what I understand.

Back