273     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
And they don't ship to Canada via their website.

I visited a bunch in Argentina, but weirdly, they didn't have a great selection outside of polos. Not like the the 6th Avenue store in New York which carries virtually the whole line.

I'm looking forward to this store. I own a few pieces of clothing by them but you're right, shopping at the Bay or Great Stuff for Men on Queen has a fairly limited selection.

Not really Toronto specifically, but I thought this was neat news...

Snap to it: First Canadian Lego theme site planned

STEVE LADURANTAYE
Globe and Mail Update
Published Thursday, May. 24, 2012 9:56AM EDT
Last updated Thursday, May. 24, 2012 11:10AM EDT

One of the world’s largest theme park operators is bringing its first Legoland Discovery Centre to Canada, investing $12-million to open the attraction in the Vaughan Mills shopping centre just north of Toronto.

Merlin Entertainments – which has 14 attractions in North America including a Legoland theme parks in Florida and California and a giant aquarium in Minneapolis’s Mall of the Americas – said it will open the indoor playground next spring.

Read on... http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...adian-lego-theme-site-planned/article2442231/

The Yonge and Eglinton Mexx store is closing on May 27. I'm not really surprised. It never seemed busy.

Wow that was quick....have we confirmed that Atmosphere is coming?
In another thread I stated that the old Puma space across the street has been leased, however I was just told that the deal fell through and it's still available for lease.

The Le Chateau across from HMV just north of Dundas on Yonge is closed (hurrah!) and Kitchen Stuff Plus is going in its place (huh?!)

I don't see it lasting. That area is tourists and fashion. What tourist is going to buy kitchen stuff (or plus)?

If there were more residences in the area maybe, but not right now. Who knows, it may very well be successful. I just don't see locals going there when there's one north near Bloor where there are more condos and houses.

Then again, the Home Sense is doing well, so there you go.

Kitchen Stuff Plus had a location across from Eaton Centre but closed it a few years ago, so it's interesting they are returning to the neighbourhood. There is lots of residential along Bay and east of Yonge that is within a few minutes walking distance, so they may do just fine.

Last edited:
I always thought the Bay Dundas area would of been a great spot for Kitchen Stuff Plus. I'm not sure this Yonge location will do that well.

Kitchen Stuff Plus had a location across from Eaton Centre but closed it a few years ago, so it's interesting they are returning to the neighbourhood. There is lots of residential along Bay and east of Yonge that is within a few minutes walking distance, so they may do just fine.

I think you're thinking of the Pier 1 Imports that is now an ING DIRECT Café...

The Kitchen Stuff Plus was in the location where Champs Sports is now ... across from the Sears/Roots entrance to the Eaton Centre. It lasted less than a year ... too long to be a pop-up shop for the holidays.

Yes, I think the KSP that was across from Eaton Centre where the Champs is now was meant as a temporary location. I remember it being advertised as a holiday location or something odd like that.

Yonge & Eglinton

The stretch of Yonge form a little north of Elignton to Lawrence seems to be struggling a little as of late. A lot of space for lease now. Mexx, which has maybe been open for 1 year now after years of building there amazing store (probably their nicest in the GTA) is closing around the end of May. I always thought there store was far too large (and nice) for the area.

There are maybe a good 5/7 other smaller stores for lease now on the stretch. The largest being the old puma store, it was sitting vacant for a while but they're trying to lease it as two separate stores (on each level).

I know some were interested in the fate of the old Nike store, which turned into a temporary fairwaether, its now a children's clothing store (there are many in the area).

A couple of the older stores seemed to have been leased but no indication by who yet.

The old Nike location is The Children's Place, an inexpensive shop. Not sure if The Sporting Life crowd will shop there but I think it will survive.

I was sad Mexx closed so quick. When they closed the 2nd floor after 6 months and consolidated all merchandise on the main floor I wondered what was going on.

I am curious whether anything about new retail in the Canada Post building at Yonge & Helendale has been posted. I was reading that the farmer's market that operated on Orchard View last summer had hoped to be in front of Canada Post this summer but then it was sold for retail purposes.

The market was all set to open up shop on a piece of land in front of the Canada Post office, on Yonge Street, but unfortunately, access to that site was later denied when word came down the post office had been sold to a commercial retailer. With the property set to change hands, the federal government told Apple Tree Market they could no longer use the space.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/l...apple-tree-market-will-open-in-a-new-location

The Le Chateau across from HMV just north of Dundas on Yonge is closed (hurrah!) and Kitchen Stuff Plus is going in its place (huh?!)

I don't see it lasting. That area is tourists and fashion. What tourist is going to buy kitchen stuff (or plus)?

If there were more residences in the area maybe, but not right now. Who knows, it may very well be successful. I just don't see locals going there when there's one north near Bloor where there are more condos and houses.

Then again, the Home Sense is doing well, so there you go.

KSP's grand opening is today.

The old Nike location is The Children's Place, an inexpensive shop. Not sure if The Sporting Life crowd will shop there but I think it will survive.

I was sad Mexx closed so quick. When they closed the 2nd floor after 6 months and consolidated all merchandise on the main floor I wondered what was going on.

I am curious whether anything about new retail in the Canada Post building at Yonge & Helendale has been posted. I was reading that the farmer's market that operated on Orchard View last summer had hoped to be in front of Canada Post this summer but then it was sold for retail purposes.

The market was all set to open up shop on a piece of land in front of the Canada Post office, on Yonge Street, but unfortunately, access to that site was later denied when word came down the post office had been sold to a commercial retailer. With the property set to change hands, the federal government told Apple Tree Market they could no longer use the space.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/l...apple-tree-market-will-open-in-a-new-location

Ah so the post office is moving out ? I wonder what will take over the space ! It's a large building

I might as well keep the Y&E updates coming:
- The large Pistachio store has indeed closed but it looks like they already had another retailer waiting in the wings, looks like a book store.

- Mexx has been completely emptied but while nothing has come yet there are no lease signs so I do expect the earlier rumor to be true (i.e. atmposhere).

- Puma store (downstairs and upstairs) still for lease.

- About 2 or 3 other sites that were lease have had their for lease signs taken down / and (or) a coming soon.

Unfortunately no word on the expansion of the Yonge Eglinton center (including the redo of the square / office building reclad) I emailed them a few weeks ago and heard nothing.

Back